Financial Goal Posts

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
I think we all have some kind of Financial goal going right now. Since I bought my house, I know there are going to be a ton of costs associated with that. So, I have a 3 pronged attack set up for financial goals.

1. Pay off my 1500 dollars or so of credit card bills.

2. Have 3000 saved up as a general savings fund for months where I'm short funds or something comes up.

3. Save 2000 to help me do landscaping and buy stuff that I will need when I move in.

I currently only have 510 dollars saved, but I only started the savings account a few days ago.

Post your goals and keep us updated.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Just in general:

1. Stick to my budget (I figure it out every year, then try to cut it back a bit in the discretionary spending areas - like dining out, starbucks, etc.).

2. I have 1.3 months of cash reserves right now (based on current salary). I'd like to get that up to 3.0 by the end of this year.

3. Up my contribution in my 401k to 13 instead of 10. Ties into #1 above.

4. Get the one remaining credit card paid off.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well...

We have no credit cards, no car payments, and no debt other than our home mortgage.

We plan on continuing to save money, pay our home off as early as possible, and help those in need.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
My wife handles all this mess. I get a beer allowance that I always go over, my bills get paid so I'm happy. My goal is not to eff it up.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Pay off credit card debt.
2. Pay off student loans.
3. Create a 3-6 month emergency fund.
4. Save, invest, invest, save
5. Keep spending cash and/or use debit card. No credit cards.

I should pay off my 2nd (of 6 debts) in the next month, and I can't fricken wait. I'll have paid off about 7k in 2 months time. Gotta keep that snowball rolling!

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. I owe about $15K on my car. With what I have saved now I should be able to pay it off in March when I get a bonus.
2. I owe about $3K on laser eye surgery. No interest financing, but I'd still like to pay this off by the end of May.

I have no credit card debt. I do have $23K in student loans, but I'll probably wait two or three years on those as I want to buy a townhouse this summer.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My major goal was to be debt free by my 30th birthday. Pretty sure that won't happen, as it is 18 months away, and I am about 30k in debt.

I could probably do it by my 31st birthday though.

I just paid off two credit cards totalling $3,000, paid a good chunk off of my last one. Made triple car and student loan payments, and put money into savings for a rainy day.

I do need to up my 401k contribution soon. I think it is only at 6%, which is the most my company will match me.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I have a question for everyone under 40. What are you saving for? So you can have money when you are too old to enjoy it?

Retirement at 65 is a holdover from a time when most jobs required strenuous physical labor and people's bodies couldn't hold up once they got into their 60's. There's no reason you can't work until you die now. I mean how much effort does it take to integrate a database or do a bio-tech experiment?

Saving for retirement is a scam promoted by corporations and banks so they can make billions borrowing and lending your money.

So unless you get into a position where you can retire to a life of leisure no later than 50-55 forget it. Party when you're young and work when you're old.

:D

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
So unless you get into a position where you can retire to a life of leisure no later than 50-55 forget it. Party when you're young and work when you're old.

That's the goal, buddy. Plus I won't get SS - it will be long gone and dead by the time I reach that age (if they don't up it again).

OP
OP
HeavyB3

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
I'm a little scared I won't get my house loan. I have like a 750 credit score, but i have no rental history and banks are scared of loaning money now. Stupid sub prime crap..

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a little scared I won't get my house loan. I have like a 750 credit score, but i have no rental history and banks are scared of loaning money now. Stupid sub prime crap..
Crossing my fingers for you...

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Man, that sucks. I keep building houses and then cross my fingers that the buyer will still be able to finance because the rules changed midway through the process.

Good luck.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I have a question for everyone under 40. What are you saving for? So you can have money when you are too old to enjoy it?

Retirement at 65 is a holdover from a time when most jobs required strenuous physical labor and people's bodies couldn't hold up once they got into their 60's. There's no reason you can't work until you die now. I mean how much effort does it take to integrate a database or do a bio-tech experiment?

Saving for retirement is a scam promoted by corporations and banks so they can make billions borrowing and lending your money.

:D

I'll be eligible to retire with full benefits at 57 & 6 weeks old, with 32 yrs of service. I plan to do that and not look back. I look forward to the point in my life when I don't have to do anything for anyone.

Between thrift savings plan, savings bonds, an IRA and a government pension I'm hoping I'll be comfortable enough to do that.

As for my current financial goals:

pay off my car this year (I owe around $10K)
increase my savings

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I'll be eligible to retire with full benefits at 57 & 6 weeks old, with 32 yrs of service. I plan to do that and not look back. I look forward to the point in my life when I don't have to do anything for anyone.

Between thrift savings plan, savings bonds, an IRA and a government pension I'm hoping I'll be comfortable enough to do that.

As for my current financial goals:

pay off my car this year (I owe around $10K)
increase my savings

Are you married? Because if you are, I see a problem with your plan...

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Are you married? Because if you are, I see a problem with your plan...

LOL..yeah, I'm married and I see your point! My wife will get to retire 4 yrs before me...now that is going to suck. I go to work she'll stay at home and watch soap operas & whatever....sigh.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
LOL..yeah, I'm married and I see your point! My wife will get to retire 4 yrs before me...now that is going to suck. I go to work she'll stay at home and watch soap operas & whatever....sigh.

At least dinner will be ready when you get home...

Right?

please tell me I'm right...

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Good luck.

You must be registered for see images attach

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard