Favorite Movie Monologues

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so as i've been watching more movies i've really been interested in good dialogue and monologue. i thought it would be good to post some of our own favorite monologues and in a separate thread i'll do dialogues.

here is one of my favorites (i've got several but i'll try to not monopolize this thread with all of them at once). it's a scene from Good Will Hunting. Will (Matt Damon) is sitting in a park with Sean (Robin Williams) and Robin's character is speaking to Will, trying to connect with him in some way.

Monologue from Good Will Hunting said:
Sean: So if I asked you about art, you'd probably give me the skinny on every art book ever written. Michelangelo, you know a lot about him. Life's work, political aspirations, him and the pope, sexual orientations, the whole works, right? But I'll bet you can't tell me what it smells like in the Sistine Chapel. You've never actually stood there and looked up at that beautiful ceiling; seen that. If I ask you about women, you'd probably give me a syllabus about your personal favorites. You may have even been laid a few times. But you can't tell me what it feels like to wake up next to a woman and feel truly happy. You're a tough kid. And I'd ask you about war, you'd probably throw Shakespeare at me, right, "once more unto the breach dear friends." But you've never been near one. You've never held your best friend's head in your lap, watch him gasp his last breath looking to you for help. I'd ask you about love, you'd probably quote me a sonnet. But you've never looked at a woman and been totally vulnerable. Known someone that could level you with her eyes, feeling like God put an angel on earth just for you. Who could rescue you from the depths of hell. And you wouldn't know what it's like to be her angel, to have that love for her, be there forever, through anything, through cancer. And you wouldn't know about sleeping sitting up in the hospital room for two months, holding her hand, because the doctors could see in your eyes, that the terms "visiting hours" don't apply to you. You don't know about real loss, 'cause it only occurs when you've loved something more than you love yourself. And I doubt you've ever dared to love anybody that much. And look at you... I don't see an intelligent, confident man... I see a cocky, scared shitless kid. But you're a genius Will. No one denies that. No one could possibly understand the depths of you. But you presume to know everything about me because you saw a painting of mine, and you ripped my ****ing life apart. You're an orphan right?
[Will nods]
Sean: You think I know the first thing about how hard your life has been, how you feel, who you are, because I read Oliver Twist? Does that encapsulate you? Personally... I don't give a **** about all that, because you know what, I can't learn anything from you, I can't read in some ****in' book. Unless you want to talk about you, who you are. Then I'm fascinated. I'm in. But you don't want to do that do you sport? You're terrified of what you might say. Your move, chief.

i always thought this was a really good scene in the movie - a turning point and Robin does a great job delivering these lines.

shawn

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
PULP FICTION:
Samuel Jackson: ....and then I'm gonna walk the earth....
Travolta: Watcha mean you're 'gonna walk the earth'...
Samuel Jackson: I mean, I'M GONNA WALK THE EARTH!

Love that line!

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Quint Tells his Story of War and Sharks
written by Peter Benchley & Carl Gottlieb

Hooper (Richard Dreyfuss): You were on the Indianapolis?

Brody (Roy Scheider): What happened?

Quint: Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, chief. It was comin' back, from the island of Tinian Delady, just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in twelve minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. Thirteen footer. You know, you know that when you're in the water, chief? You tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. Well, we didn't know. `Cause our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. Huh huh. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, chief. The sharks come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know it's... kinda like `ol squares in battle like a, you see on a calendar, like the battle of Waterloo. And the idea was, the shark would go for nearest man and then he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark would go away. Sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a shark, he's got...lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces.
Y'know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men! I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand! I don't know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday mornin' chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player, bosom's mate. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up. Bobbed up and down in the water, just like a kinda top. Up ended. Well... he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us, he swung in low and he saw us. He'd a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper, anyway he saw us and come in low. And three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and start to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened? Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks ttook the rest, June the 29, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Joseph Cotten as "Uncle Charlie" in Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt. One of my favorite films.

Uncle Charlie: The cities are full of women, middle-aged widows, husbands, dead, husbands who've spent their lives making fortunes, working and working. And then they die and leave their money to their wives, their silly wives. And what do the wives do, these useless women? You see them in the hotels, the best hotels, every day by the thousands, drinking the money, eating the money, losing the money at bridge, playing all day and all night, smelling of money, proud of their jewelry but of nothing else, horrible, faded, fat, greedy women... Are they human or are they fat, wheezing animals, hmm? And what happens to animals when they get too fat and too old?

Young Charlie: But they're alive! They're human beings!

Uncle Charlie: Are they?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Pretty high up on my favorite monologues ever:

Orson Welles as Harry Lime in The Third Man:

Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly.

OP
OP
FischerKing

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Pretty high up on my favorite monologues ever:

Orson Welles as Harry Lime in The Third Man:

Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly.

:biglaugh:

shawn

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clarence's dad (Dennis Hopper) telling the mob don (Christopher Walken) about Sicilians in True Romance...

Walken's character giving Butch his father's watch (and the story behind it) in Pulp Fiction...

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
"You're a f*cking genious Gump! If it wasn't such a waste of a fine enlisted man I'd recommend you for officer training!"

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
"You're a f*cking genious Gump! If it wasn't such a waste of a fine enlisted man I'd recommend you for officer training!"

"You're gonna be a General someday Gump!"

rotfl!

:thumbup:

Mike

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Renz said:
Quint Tells his Story of War and Sharks
written by Peter Benchley & Carl Gottlieb

Hooper (Richard Dreyfuss): You were on the Indianapolis?

Brody (Roy Scheider): What happened?

Quint: Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, chief. It was comin' back, from the island of Tinian Delady, just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in twelve minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. Thirteen footer. You know, you know that when you're in the water, chief? You tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. Well, we didn't know. `Cause our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. Huh huh. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, chief. The sharks come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know it's... kinda like `ol squares in battle like a, you see on a calendar, like the battle of Waterloo. And the idea was, the shark would go for nearest man and then he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark would go away. Sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a shark, he's got...lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces.
Y'know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men! I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand! I don't know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday mornin' chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player, bosom's mate. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up. Bobbed up and down in the water, just like a kinda top. Up ended. Well... he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us, he swung in low and he saw us. He'd a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper, anyway he saw us and come in low. And three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and start to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened? Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks ttook the rest, June the 29, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.

That was from Jaws, btw...awesome choice!

Mike

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
"You're gonna be a General someday Gump!"

rotfl!

Mike

lol!

Gump and Full Metal Jacket are my favorite movies for quotes.

"You had best un-f*ck yourself Pyle!!"

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
lol!

Gump and Full Metal Jacket are my favorite movies for quotes.

"You had best un-f*ck yourself Pyle!!"

"Why'd you put that rifle together so quickly Gump?"

"Because you asked me to, Drill Sergent?"

rotfl!

Mike

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
monologue: long speech (or speaking part) by one person.

You've seen FMJ. I consider it a monologue if the other participants only get to say Sir! Yes Sir! during the whole tirade. :D

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
"Why'd you put that rifle together so quickly Gump?"

"Because you asked me to, Drill Sergent?"

rotfl!

Mike

"Sumthin' jumped up an bit me in the buttock."

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
You've seen FMJ. I consider it a monologue if the other participants only get to say Sir! Yes Sir! during the whole tirade. :D

:lmao:

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
How about the speech by Kip Pardue at the end of Rules of Attraction.

As for dialogue- the convo between the cowboy and dude in the dark from Mulholland Dr.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Steve Martin's F-bomb riddled speech in Planes Trains and Automobiles..... classic baby!

OP
OP
FischerKing

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Steve Martin's F-bomb riddled speech in Planes Trains and Automobiles..... classic baby!

that's one of the funniest bits in that movie - and then the lady's response is just as classic - what a great comeback.

shawn

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:

That movie is great! We watch it every Thanksgiving.

"What's that guy saying?"
"He says we're going the wrong way."
"Oh he's drunk. How does he know where were going."
"Yeah, how does he know." :eek:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard