Fat Boris = Danny Manning?

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Not even close, so far. Not only is he putting up lousy stats--which you'd almost expect--his plus/minus was worst on the team each of the first two games. Maybe that's because Boris has yet to guard anybody he's been matched up against.

(Also, the team as a whole has stopped running on a consistent basis, and KT is only getting 18 mpg, so I doubt he's the primary culprit.)

So, is Boris going to work himself back to the Keebler of last year's playoffs, or will he spend the rest of the season chowing down on Fudge Stripes? And, has Barbosa put him on the bench for good now?

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
So, is Boris going to work himself back to the Keebler of last year's playoffs, or will he spend the rest of the season chowing down on Fudge Stripes? And, has Barbosa put him on the bench for good now?

Actually he spent the off season chowing down croissants. But he played better in the 2nd half yesterday. Looks like he's still outta shape and Coach D alluded to that in the post-game interview.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Coming into the season out of shape should not be acceptable :(, especially after signing a fat contract. Let's see his progress next few games but this is a critical stretch of the season with key games and little margin of error. If he doesn't improve, he may be benched in favor or Amare (if he continues to improve) or even Barbosa.

Also, what's with Bell?

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think we all wanna see them improve, but this is far from a critical point in the season. Of course winning is always welcomed, but to be saying they have little margin for error after just 2 games seems unreasonable don't you think?

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
How do you come into the season out of shape when you're playing ball during the summer? :shrug:

after the world championships were done, Boris spent the rest of the time up until preseason on vacation, resting

which isnt a bad idea after youve been playing since the previous fall without much of a break.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wait until Boris calls out Amare, yells at Sarver for more money during a game and then gets hurt and has surgery during the season. Then you'll understand what it's like having Shaq. :D

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Coming into the season out of shape should not be acceptable :(, especially after signing a fat contract. Let's see his progress next few games but this is a critical stretch of the season with key games and little margin of error. If he doesn't improve, he may be benched in favor or Amare (if he continues to improve) or even Barbosa.

Also, what's with Bell?

And signing Diaw to that contract, does this End Marions era in Phoenix next Season??? If it does that would be horrible

mribnik

Reaction score
I thought Diaw intentionally gained weight to be able to defend some of the larger frontcourt players in the league. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like he gained this weight in muscle.

Nash

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like he gained this weight in muscle.

I'm not sure about that. Is the butt made of muscles? If so, he has become way more muscular.
KT still takes the cake.

Says the man who has Fat Morrison as his avatar.
:biglaugh:

nowagimp

Reaction score

Also, what's with Bell?

You know that the contract being up in the air may have prevented him from pushing heimself to get in shape, for fear of injury. He'd better watch those croissants, though. Some of the clips were also not in good shape(Cassel, Kaman) and they just signed new contracts as well.

Bell is not moving well, his leg strength does not appear to be back yet, and its hurting his jumper. He had trouble staying in front of Mobley on a dribble penetration and his shot mechanics look off.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Just wait until Boris calls out Amare, yells at Sarver for more money during a game and then gets hurt and has surgery during the season. Then you'll understand what it's like having Shaq. :D
Suns get 3 championships, I'll takes whatever Boris does.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
I thought Diaw intentionally gained weight to be able to defend some of the larger frontcourt players in the league. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like he gained this weight in muscle.

I heard the same thing during NBA commentary on ESPN radio.

The guy took some much needed time off this summer to rest after a long playoff run and the world championships. He'll be alright.

As for Bell, his calf injury completely changed his off season workout regiment and it continued to bother him leading up to the Italy trip.

Boris looked much better last night and I don't foresee any problems with him. He'll mesh just fine with Amare as last night it looked like the team as a whole made it a point to get Amare the ball last night and there wasn't much interruption in the flow of things.

Bell will take a little more time to get back into the swing of things cause of that calf.

Barbosa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Actually, I think Boris looks good at this weight, especially playing the 4/5. However, he needs to work on his conditioning and turn some of the extra weight into muscle (as you allude).

If he could do this, I like him carrying the extra weight since he is playing inside. It should make him more effective in holding his position and rebounding. I don't think Boris is carrying too much weight to effect his quickness once he gets into game shape.

I think part of Boris' problem is that he does not see himself dominating inside like Stoudemire, but in reality he has the ability to be a very good inside player. I hope Boris has not forgotten how effective he was when he took the ball hard to the hoop last year... and dunked it. Maybe Boris needs to take a page from Stoudemire on how to play aggressive inside. I'm not saying Boris can play like the pre-injury Stoudemire, however, I think he can be very effective when he plays aggressive inside.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's French. Try to understand him at your own peril.

I'm betting he'll be hitting his stride around December.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How dare you compare Boris to Danny Manning, at least that is the Manning I think you are making comparisons of.

Boris couldn't handle Danny's jockstrap.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Don't know why but I always hated Manning. His style of play reminded me of the special olympics or a woman's rec league.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Don't know why but I always hated Manning. His style of play reminded me of the special olympics or a woman's rec league.

I haven't seen any members of those organizations carry their college team to an NCAA title. If fact when Manning first came to Phoenix on the down side of his career, recuperating from his first ACL surgery the Phoenix Suns were blowing out teams left and right. In fact by January it was the best SUNs team I had ever seen before or since. Manning goes down with another blown ACL and the team fizzles.

You can say a lot about Manning, but he had an high IQ for basketball and all the skills to go with it. His knees, well that is another story. He made everyone around him better, which is the common thread when describing great basketball players.

No I'm not a Danny Manning fan, but I did come to respect his skills and what a team player he was. Diaw is definately on the outside looking in. Maybe someday, but at this time in his career he has done nothing compared to Manning.

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
This thread is ridiculous.. Its two games. But it does allow me to bring up a pertinent point...

I am watching and i dont think this team can have a productive Amare and Boris as it seems there games step on each other toes. This might be alliveated if Marion is dealt but what would you guys rather have?

Amare 85% of what he used to be with Max money

or

Boris at last years playoff level at 5 years 45 million

cuz i dont think we are going to get both....

and what would be better for the team?

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
I haven't seen any members of those organizations carry their college team to an NCAA title. If fact when Manning first came to Phoenix on the down side of his career, recuperating from his first ACL surgery the Phoenix Suns were blowing out teams left and right. In fact by January it was the best SUNs team I had ever seen before or since. Manning goes down with another blown ACL and the team fizzles.

You can say a lot about Manning, but he had an high IQ for basketball and all the skills to go with it. His knees, well that is another story. He made everyone around him better, which is the common thread when describing great basketball players.

No I'm not a Danny Manning fan, but I did come to respect his skills and what a team player he was. Diaw is definately on the outside looking in. Maybe someday, but at this time in his career he has done nothing compared to Manning.

I was never talking about his ability as a player - he was very good. I was just referring to his shooting style and what not: it was hard to watch.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's 2 games.......Boris will get into game shape, increase his aggressiveness and he and Amare will learn how to play together on the court. I'm envisioning Boris with the ball at the high post throwing alley-oops to both Shawn and Amare.

nowagimp

Reaction score
This thread is ridiculous.. Its two games. But it does allow me to bring up a pertinent point...

I am watching and i dont think this team can have a productive Amare and Boris as it seems there games step on each other toes. This might be alliveated if Marion is dealt but what would you guys rather have?

Amare 85% of what he used to be with Max money

or

Boris at last years playoff level at 5 years 45 million

cuz i dont think we are going to get both....

and what would be better for the team?

I'm not gonna make that choice, I'll let sarver ponder it. One thing I will say is that Amare showed sparks of an inside game against the clips that Boris and Shawn do not have, and will never have. Last year in the playoffs, it was tough going inside for Boris and shawn against the clips. Amares ability to score on Elton Brand and Kaman(best shot blocking team in the NBA) looked enticing. If he is healthy, and can move the way he did in the first half( he was winded in the second) for 25-30 minutes a night, the suns will win it all this year. Amare offers something that shawn and Boris, and KT cannot offer: The ability to force the defense into the lane area or to score in the lane almost at will if they dont. This threat is needed to get all those open 3's for Bell, Barbs, JR, and Nash. With the Lakers new(Bynum) front line and the clippers front line, and the spurs trying to take away the 3, Amare can be a weapon, even at 90%. His low post footwork, moves, and shot array is way better than that of Boris or Shawn. He's gonna come back, but it will probably take until the all star break or longer for him to get strong enough to play whole games. He will probably be even better next year, as the microfracture procedure apparently takes longer to fully heal. Keynon Martin explained that this year he feels different stronger, even all the way back, perhaps.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard