Ex-Duke star Redick arrested for DWI

mribnik

Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2006/news/story?id=2482061

J.J. Redick, a likely first-round pick in this month's NBA draft, was arrested for driving while impaired early Tuesday and was released on $1,000 bond.

Redick's Draft Status
The NBA draft is scheduled June 28 in New York City. How the arrest will affect Redick's draft status is unclear.

"I think that these things hurt anybody's draft status," an Eastern Conference GM, who wanted to remain anonymous, told ESPN.com's Andy Katz. "They do in my eyes. I take these things seriously. That's too bad."

Redick had previously pulled out of scheduled workouts with Orlando and Boston this week. Previously, he had worked out for Golden State, Utah, Houston and Seattle.

Among the teams reportedly interested in Redick is Houston, which has the No. 8 pick.

Redick's agent, Arn Tellem, doesn't believe this incident will affect Redick's draft status.

"Absolutely not," Tellem said. "Everyone knows his character and his body of work during his four years where he's been a great player and person at Duke. He has handled himself well on and off the court."

Tellem added that he is confident that Redick will be drafted between No. 7 and No. 14.

According to a police report, Redick was arrested at 1:03 a.m. in Durham, N.C., after the former Duke star made an illegal U-turn to avoid a police checkpoint.

"I regret what happened last night, and want to apologize to my family and the Duke community for the incident," Redick said in a statement.

Redick is scheduled to appear in a Durham court on July 17.

"J.J. knows he made a mistake and regrets it," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said in a statement. "He represented the very best in college athletics and exhibited outstanding character at Duke the last four years. He is and will continue to be a credit to the Duke Basketball family. As his friend and his coach, he has my total support."

Redick's agent, Arn Tellem, added: "J.J. is an outsanding student athlete of the highest character. He is an exemplary role model and a credit to his family and the entire Duke community. This is nothing more than an isolated incident. Everyone who has come into contact with J.J. as a student and an athlete knows the quality person he is and will continue to be."

Redick, who won the 2006 Wooden Award as the nation's top college player, shot 47 percent from the field, 42 percent from 3-point range and 85 percent from the free throw line in leading Duke to a 32-4 record. He finished his career with 2,769 points and 457 3-pointers.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Only a few weeks left until the draft, what's wrong with this guy? It'll be interesting to see how much this hurts his stock (if it does).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Dumb dumb dumb dumb

One of the worst things he could have done at this point in time.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Dumb dumb dumb dumb

It could have been worse. William Bedford could have been in the car with the starting Connecticut backcourt in the backseat, and stolen computers in the trunk.

But a draft pick who was already being knocked for being one-dimensional shouldn't be driving drunk. So we agree. ;)

OP
OP
mribnik

mribnik

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Dumb dumb dumb dumb

I donno, perhaps Portland is now interested in him with the 4th pick.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
"Absolutely not," Tellem said. "Everyone knows his character and his body of work during his four years where he's been a great player and person at Duke. He has handled himself well on and off the court."

:rolleyes:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
krepitch said:

:rolleyes:

That's his biggest problem, one of his chief selling points is, he's a safe pick, he won't get in trouble. And here he is making an illegal uturn to avoid a sobriety checkpoint because he knows he's drunk.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Dumb dumb dumb dumb

He could have ridden a motorcycle with no helmet while drunk I guess...might have been dumber :)

nowagimp

Reaction score
Maybe he'll be there at 21 for the suns. He doesnt beat women or get smoked up with uncle cliffy does he? I used to live in Mass. and DWI is no big deal there, with all the politicians driving drunk and all. Riddick could go to the celts. Up there, its st pattys day all year(I can say this because I'm 1/4 Irish).

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
.....i'll say it

with the 21st pick the Phoenix Suns select JJ Redick, Duke University

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Of course he's out getting drunk. This guy was talked about as a top 5 pick just a few months ago and now he's slipping into the last part of the first round or worse.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
.....i'll say it

with the 21st pick the Phoenix Suns select JJ Redick, Duke University

The Suns don't need another player who disappears in big games.

OP
OP
mribnik

mribnik

Reaction score
Reddick doesn't fill a need for this team IMO. Sure he'd fit into our system well, but that's not enough reason to draft him. We already have an undersized shooting guard in Barbosa, and any other role Reddick could fill can be more than adequately filled by James Jones IMO, except that Jones is taller, a better rebounder and a much better defender. I can't remember where I read it, or heard it, but I recall James Jones saying that he was upset with his playoff performance and was dedicated to improved other areas of his game. I think he'll be solid for us next year.

asudevil83

Reaction score
NBA Source: Redick Out for Several Months with Back Injury

13th June, 2006 - 8:43 pm

DraftExpress.com - Duke senior J.J. Redick failed a physical at the NBA pre-draft camp in Orlando and will be out for an extended period with a back problem that may require surgery, according to a source with close NBA contacts.

well, things just went from bad to worse for this guy.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's an insider article on ESPN that someone ought to post about the Hawks possibly taking Reddick.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oops, guess it was about Sheldon Williams:

Quote:Hawks made promise to Williams?
posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 | Feedback | Print Entry

In our latest mock draft, we first reported that the rumor swirling around the Orlando predraft camp was that the Atlanta Hawks had made a promise to Duke's Shelden Williams to draft him.

We said, "The buzz around Orlando on Friday was that the Hawks had cut a deal with Shelden Williams. However, that makes almost no sense. Why cut a deal with a guy this early in the draft, especially one who has a 99.9 percent probability of being there at No. 5?"

Here in Treviso, we've now had two sources, one close to Williams and one close to the Hawks, confirm that Hawks GM Billy Knight indeed asked Williams to shut down his workouts in return for the Hawks' selection.

Williams, in recent days, has canceled workouts with the Timberwolves and Magic and has no more scheduled workouts before the draft. To date, Williams has worked out for six teams: the Warriors, Jazz, Hornets, Celtics, Sonics and Rockets.

While Williams clearly would give Atlanta something it doesn't have, a big, physical rebounder and shot-blocker to play in the paint, at No. 5 the Hawks would be taking Williams several spots higher than where he was projected to go.

But that shouldn't be an issue, according to one NBA executive here in Treviso.

"If you like a player, it doesn't matter where you draft him," the executive said. "Who cares about where he's projected? Williams could have gone to a team like the Rockets (No. 8) or the Sonics (No. 10) anyway. That's not that far off."

The info that the Hawks are apparently taking Williams at No. 5 creates two interesting subplots.

One, it means that it's likely the Hawks aren't trading their pick this year. There had been some rumblings that the Hawks were willing to trade the pick in return for a veteran. Still, it's conceivable the Hawks would trade down a few spots in the draft and try to nab Williams there.

Two, it means that if the Hawks stay at No. 5, two of the top six players in the draft -- Tyrus Thomas, Andrea Bargnani, LaMarcus Aldridge, Adam Morrison, Brandon Roy and Rudy Gay -- are slipping out of the top five.

Kevin McHale of Minnesota (No. 6) and Danny Ainge of Boston (No. 7) must be licking their chops.

Mock Draft Version 3.0 is coming next Monday after the deadline has passed for underclassmen to withdraw from the draft.

But here's a sneak preview:

1. Raptors: Andrea Bargnani
2. Bulls: Tyrus Thomas
3. Bobcats: Rudy Gay
4. Blazers: Adam Morrison
5. Hawks: Shelden Williams
6. Wolves: LaMarcus Aldridge
7. Celtics: Brandon Roy
8. Rockets: We've had J.J. Redick here for weeks, but with his recent arrest for DUI and the back pain he's been having, he could be in for a fall. We'll do more research this week and try to sort out fact from fiction on Redick.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw that story but I'm still puzzled why anybody would give a SENIOR a guarantee? You give underclassmen or Euros a guarantee so they'll stay in the draft, shutdown their workouts, and you can pick them. But Williams has no options, he's in the draft no matter what, so why guarantee him anything?

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duke guards are notorious NBA busts. I wouldn't touch Reddick in round 1/.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And while we are at it, Adam Morrison I think will be a total bust. Can't defend. Can't jump. Can't create his own shot. Looks to me like another Wally Scerbiak -- in essence a nice 2 point shooter from 17 feet with no upside.