ESPN Insiders Rumor: Bears to make offer to Stewart

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
it's on the ESPN front page...I'm not an insiders member so that's all I got...

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Rather...

I don't think Stewart is that bad of a QB and could do well with the Cardinals but if the Bears do grab him it leaves what I think is a no brainer and possibly a better choice... doesn't Jeff Blake come to Zona next week

SIGN BLAKE!!!

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Cards made an offer already. If the Bears make as stupid an offer to Kordell as they did to Jake....WOW!!!

My feeling is that Jeff Blake will end up here because the Cards will make him an offer to try to save face for getting NO ONE else to sign. He will get WAY too much money, be injured more than healthy and join the list of washed up QB's on the Arizona Cardinals all time team roster.

BUT, if they sign Blake and he stays healthy, he's not a bad QB. Could the Cardinals be that lucky? Maybe....

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd rather have Griese. He has permission to talk to other teams, if I were Graves I'd be on the phone right now inking a deal that he could sign June 1, 12:01 MST!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by nidan
I think that is called tampering and the NFL fines you for it

As I stated in the original post, the Broncos have given Griese permission to talk to other teams--so it's not tampering. I'll bet by the time he's cut he already has a contract waiting for him to sign; personally, I hope it's with us.

from www.denverbroncos.com:
Feb. 26, 2003

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Denver Broncos have given quarterback Brian Griese permission to begin exploring trade talks with other National Football League teams, Broncos Head Coach Mike Shanahan announced Wednesday.

The Broncos made this move in sending a letter granting permission to Griese’s agent, Ralph Cindrich, and the team also informed the NFL that this permission has been given.

Coach Shanahan also announced that Griese had surgery to repair a labral tear and tighten the capsule in his left, non-throwing shoulder, on Jan. 29.

Griese is doing well in rehabilitation at the Denver Broncos facility and is expected to make a full recovery by the end of May.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it would class as tampering if we tried to get him to sign after cut in JUne 1st.

We can only talk trade to him

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The thought of Jeff Blake as our starting QB scares me. If he's all that good and throws such a beautiful deep ball, why would Baltimore be willing to let him go so that they can start Redmon.

I suspect we may be overrating Blake, but I'll admit I haven't seen that much of him.

I have seen Kordell. And although I worry about him being another one of those me-guys - view him as a more athletic version of Plummer. I can live with that.

As for Griese (1) we can only talk about a trade - otherwise it's tampering. (2) if we wait til June 1, we waste two minicamps and risk not signing Griese anyway.

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
Jeff - As i read it, Baltimore wanted Blake back to be the starter, but he wanted more than they were initially offering. When he decided to shop himself around, Billick got pissed at him (as in how DARE he not take what we offered and shop himself to antoher team! Doesn't he kow how graet a coach I am?!?) and yanked the offer from the table, and said that Baltimore was no longer interested in him and that Redman was the starter.

One plus on waiting 'til June 1st for Griese (and I'll admit it's a bit of a stretch), is all the other teams should have their QB situations set, so there probably wouldn't be much competition to sign him. Also, it would give McCown and Parsons two mini-camps to get a lot of work in so they A) develop a bit more, and B) give the coaching staff more opportunity to evaluate them. Like I said, it's kind of a stretch, but I'm looking for the positives here. :thumbup:

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Baltimore

ESPN just reported that KS is still interested in Baltimore.....but is also mulling over offers from us and da Bears.