ESPN Insider Scouting Report

Kolo

Reaction score
From Brian James, who offers the best analysis on Insider in my opinion--maybe because he's the only one actually qualified to analyze the NBA--

ESPN Insider Brian James will provide scouting reports throughout the NBA playoffs.

The most entertaining series should be the fast-paced, wide-open Phoenix Suns taking on the Dallas Mavericks. As an entertaining subplot, there is Steve Nash's anticipated Game 1 reunion with his former team of six seasons, playing against best friends Dirk Nowitzki and Michael Finley, on the night he receives the league MVP trophy.

This series will be up-tempo from start to finish, featuring tremendous open court scorers from both squads. All three games that these teams played against each other had results in the triple figures, with Phoenix winning twice.

Phoenix showed its talent by sweeping Memphis in the first round. Amare Stoudemire, Shawn Marion and Joe Johnson all shot more than 50 percent in the Memphis series. Johnson, Nash, Quentin Richardson and Jim Jackson shot .417 and above from 3-point land. Meanwhile, the Mavericks had their struggles, finally finishing off a tough Houston team in seven games. Phoenix has had eight days to prepare, compared to 48 hours for Dallas, and Nash and Shawn Marion have had time to properly rehab their injuries.

Here are some key questions: Can Stoudemire continue to dominate Dallas as he did in the regular season? Can Dallas wear down Phoenix with the 11-deep team that won the Houston series? Will Dallas take the same game plan that was successful against the Rockets?

Dallas went small in the last five Houston games, and tried to shut down the three players on the floor with Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming. Watch for this to continue as Steve Nash and Stoudemire will get single coverage; then Dallas can stay attached to Johnson, Richardson and Marion. Phoenix will make Dallas play one-on-one defense as it spreads the floor and attacks. Transition defense could make the difference in this series: Can either team stop the initial thrust of the other?

Point guard
Phoenix: Steve Nash left Dallas when owner Mark Cuban wouldn't match the six-year, $65.6 million deal Phoenix offered. Steve's MVP year included leading the league in assists with 11.5 per game, almost two more than anyone else. He is the leader of this team and the others feed off him. If a player is open, Nash will find him, even if he is dribbling the ball up the court at breakneck speed. They space the floor for him, and he gets the ball into the lane, creating opportunities for himself, dump-offs to Stoudemire or penetration-and-pitches to great shooters. If you force him to shoot, he makes at least 50 percent from the field and 90 percent from the line. The screen roll or two-man game with Stoudemire at the elbow area is almost unguardable.

Dallas: Jason Terry has had big shoes to fill and spent all season being compared to Nash. He brings a scoring mentality to the position but has been tremendous in eliminating the forced shots and poor decisions with the ball that he made in prior seasons. He finished 10th in the NBA in 3-point shooting and 22nd in assists. His play kept improving in his first-ever playoff series last week. Jason played great versus Houston and you could see his confidence continue to grow. He averaged 18.3 points in the series, shot .606 on 3s (making 20 of 33 shots), and made 94 percent from the free-throw line. He even had his first two 30-point scoring nights in a Dallas uniform with an assortment of layups, floaters, short jumpers and long-distance bombs. This will be the most interesting matchup in this series, I believe. Dallas forced Nash into a combined 13 turnovers in two of the games he played.

Edge: Phoenix.

Off guard
Phoenix: Joe Johnson just keeps making everything he throws up. He shot at a high percentage all season long and even improved this in the Memphis series, shooting more than 50 percent in the four games. He runs for layups, and will spot behind the line with his hands ready to fire. He may even play a few minutes at the point. He shoots more 3s than free throws.

Dallas: Michael Finley had a great series in Round 1. His veteran leadership came through with repeated big baskets. His ability to hit the jump shots will help eliminate the double-teaming on Nowitzki. He is a big reason for the Mavs' success. He can drive right and finish, or hit the mid-range shot with consistency.

Edge: Even.

Small forward
Phoenix: Quentin Richardson has gone from more of a post-up player to a 3-point shooter who can also post. He can attack on the break and hurt you with his overall offensive game. His 3-point attempts more than triple his FT attempts.

Dallas: Josh Howard gets much of the credit for tiring out McGrady in the fourth quarters in Round 1. He is not afraid to take on the best offensive wing player or power forward, whichever is needed. Look for him to have the assignment to guard any one of the three perimeter players on Phoenix, including Shawn Marion. He is very quick in attacking with the ball in his hands, so he fits well in the Mavericks' system.

Edge: Dallas by the slightest of margins due to Howard's defense.

Power forward
Phoenix: Shawn Marion had as good a season as anyone in the league. Becoming the third-leading rebounder in the NBA is astonishing because Marion is undersized for his position. His unorthodox shot goes in and he is always guarding the best swing player on the opposing team. He can score on the break, get stick-backs, or knock down the open shot. Look for him to have just as much success guarding Nowitzki as McGrady had. He will deny the ball and has endless energy. Dallas: The Mavs hope Dirk Nowitzki will get over the bad cold and the cold shooting he suffered from against Houston. I think he will have a great series, as he is too good a player to continue to shoot at 35 percent. Not once did he hit for 30 points in Round 1. But he can hurt you anywhere on the floor and improved in every category during the regular season. Look for him to get plenty of touches, not only in the post but at the elbow area as well. He will have success if Phoenix doesn't double him.

Edge: Even, but Nowitzki needs to be the best player on the floor for Dallas, which gives him an edge if he can get it going.

Center
Phoenix: Amare Stoudemire had great success against Dallas in the regular season. This is the area of most concern for the Mavs, since they don't have anyone on their roster to match up with him in terms of running ability, power, strength, quickness and overall athletic ability with scoring potential. Amare finished with 98 points in three games against Dallas. The Suns will take advantage and hope to duplicate the 32.7 ppg, 11 rpg, and 58 percent shooting Stoudemire achieved against the Mavs. His quickness and ability to finish from the elbow area with one dribble or knock down the mid-range jumper are very good. But this will only be after he doesn't get the ball by sealing the middle of the lane in transition or rolling after setting a screen on the ball.

Dallas: Erick Dampier shot the ball when given the chance in Round 1. His 19 for 30 for .633 FG percentage was overshadowed because his minutes were down. He will probably watch more than play in this series since Stoudemire is much quicker and more athletic. Dampier missed two of the three Phoenix games this year and played only five minutes in the third contest.

Edge: Phoenix.

Bench
Phoenix: The Phoenix bench goes only three deep for the most part. Jimmy Jackson is in the same mold as the three starting wing players in terms of having the ability to knock down any shot. He has plenty of playoff experience, knows how to play and is ultra-competitive. Steven Hunter gave them good results in the Memphis series and now has the ability to play with Stoudemire, not just replace him. Most of his points come in transition or on short jump hooks. Leandro Barbosa played only 26 minutes in Round 1, but has the ability to score from outside or on the drive. Depth may be a factor if this is a long series or an injury occurs.

Dallas: The bench has loads of firepower, averaging 27.7 points in the Houston series, and its depth helped to wear down the Rockets. Jerry Stackhouse was tremendous in his sixth man role most of the Houston series, shooting 9-for-17 for .529 percent from 3-point land, well above his usual performance. Both Devin Harris and Darrell Armstrong will get chances to control Nash. Marquis Daniels will come in to provide depth at the wing position. Keith Van Horn's injured ankle will prevent him from contributing at power forward. Shawn Bradley may not get much chance to play.

Edge: Dallas.

Coaching
Phoenix: Coach Mike D'Antoni stays modest as he talks about the success of his team this season. The additions of Nash and Richardson aren't the only reasons the Suns improved more than any other team this season. D'Antoni let his team fly, forming a system that brought out the strengths of his team, individually and as a unit. He doesn't overcoach and his team's chemistry is as good as it gets.

Dallas: Coach Avery Johnson made some great adjustments in his first-ever playoff series as a head coach. His defensive changes on McGrady, going "small ball," and challenging his players to keep attacking proved successful. I thought he orchestrated his roster well and the use of Darrell Armstrong the last two games on Mike James showed that he would go 11 deep in order to find the right options.

Edge: Even.

Prediction
Phoenix led the league in scoring by a wide margin. The Suns have so much going for them in this series. They have more rest, the home-court advantage, and the MVP and Coach of the Year on their side. The Suns also have the most imposing inside presence in Stoudemire. These are just a few reasons Phoenix will win this series in six games if it stays injury-free.

Brian James, a former assistant coach with the Pistons, Raptors and Wizards, is a regular contributor to Insider.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike D wins Coach of Year but he is even with Avery Johnson? Interesting.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These teams are so evenly matched it's scary. Difference? They are longer. Dampier and Bradly are going to hamper Amare.

With Dallas fighting through that unbelievable Houston 2 game lead, they must be full of confidence. They were tested and survived.

My heart says Suns in 7. My head says Dallas in 6. We will lose this series and San Antonio will beat Detroit to win it all.

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
They are both rookie coaches, and considering how Avery helped shave about 10 opponent's ppg off the Mavs average I could see making this a wash. Neither one has ever proven anything in the playoffs.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I'd put D'Antoni and Avery about even coming into the series. The Mavs were something like 16-2 after Don Nelson resigned and Avery's adjustments in the Houston series allowed them to come back after losing two at home. Both have done outstanding jobs throughout season and in the playoffs.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
These teams are so evenly matched it's scary. Difference? They are longer. Dampier and Bradly are going to hamper Amare.

I disagree. The Suns are at least a step faster at every position in the starting lineup, two or three steps faster at 4 and 5. The Mavs' height may prove difficult, but I think the Suns will have the most success simply going around them. When Amare gets the ball in the high post, the Mavs literally have no way to defend him other than sending everyone into the lane. If he gets his outside shot going, it will be lights out.

This is why is was so important for the Mavs to beat the Rockets!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Yeah, I think it's been a very long time since any Dallas opponent thought, "Uh oh, they have Shawn Bradley."

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Dampier and Bradly are going to hamper Amare.
QUOTE]

you actually typed "bradl[e]y [is] going to hamper amare." . . . wow.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Dampier and Bradly are going to hamper Amare.

I know you are a pessimist Skorp, but c'mon. The only way Bradley is even going to see the court is if he plays HORSE with Paul Shirley before the game.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

With Dallas fighting through that unbelievable Houston 2 game lead, they must be full of confidence. They were tested and survived.

My heart says Suns in 7. My head says Dallas in 6. We will lose this series and San Antonio will beat Detroit to win it all.
Dampier was not a big factor against Houston. You actually believe he will "hamper" Amare??? I believe Dampier will be a small road bump that Amare's power train will roll over.

Bradley...?? Hampering Amare? Give me a break...!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
az1965 said:
Dampier was not a big factor against Houston. You actually believe he will "hamper" Amare??? I believe Dampier will be a small road bump that Amare's power train will roll over.

Bradley...?? Hampering Amare? Give me a break...!

i wouldn't discount dampier so quickly. he's got size. legit size. and we really didn't get the opp to play against him much in the regular season. true, amare has a tremendous amount of quicks over him and can draw him out with the jumper, but amare won't be overpowering anyone in this series likely. (but i really hope he gets the opp to dunk on bradley).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
but amare won't be overpowering anyone in this series likely. (but i really hope he gets the opp to dunk on bradley).

Totally disagree. He will make Dampier look like a fool, and Nowitzki will be showing his softness to an alarming degree (if and when he guards STAT). Dallas would be wise to let Amare get his points and try to stop everyone else.

The X-Factors: Shawn Marion on Offense and Q on both offense and defense.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Totally disagree. He will make Dampier look like a fool, and Nowitzki will be showing his softness to an alarming degree (if and when he guards STAT). Dallas would be wise to let Amare get his points and try to stop everyone else.

The X-Factors: Shawn Marion on Offense and Q on both offense and defense.

chap, do you ever credit any other team or non-suns player?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
This is the playoffs, where "physical" play is still the rule. I'm not especially thrilled about the Stoudemire/Dampier matchup. Dampier is one of the league's best offensive rebounders (Edit: uh, when motivated, that is), and that directly hits the Suns' biggest weakness. And Stoudemire has shown real stubborness in going at tall opponents who aren't quick enough to bite on his fakes.

I do think the Suns are going to win the series, but I don't think it will be because Stoudemire completely outclasses Dampier. In fact, it won't surprise me much if that matchup is basically a draw, when you take everything into account. This board will be howling that Stoudemire isn't getting any calls, but that's playoff basketball for you.

I like the Suns' advantage in the backcourt and I do think that the home-court advantage (or, if you like, road-court disadvantage) will matter in the first two games. The Suns will need Johnson, Richardson, and Jackson to continue their good shooting, but if they get that, they should be okay.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
chap, do you ever credit any other team or non-suns player?

Not to the point where it doesn't make any sense.

The X-factor for Dallas I think is two guys: Josh Howard and Darrell Armstrong. Those are the guys we really should worry about.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
In my opinon, the X-factors for Dallas are Finley, Marquis Daniels, Stackhouse, and Josh Howard. How they defend the Suns wing players will determine the series if I had to guess right now. I have this feeling the Mavs are going to try and make Nash beat them with his scoring and not his passing.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't think Daniels will get that much time, but you never know--I pretty much considered JJ2 and Stackhouse cancelling each other out (although Stack probably will produce more throughout the series, but hopefully not enough to make a huge difference).

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's 3 hours before game time and I'm sitting here setting up the TIVO already. We've got to come out hot, not clanking long ones because of too much nervous energy from seven days off.

This first game really, really worries me.
This is the playoffs, where "physical" play is still the rule. I'm not especially thrilled about the Stoudemire/Dampier matchup. Dampier is one of the league's best offensive rebounders (Edit: uh, when motivated, that is), and that directly hits the Suns' biggest weakness. And Stoudemire has shown real stubborness in going at tall opponents who aren't quick enough to bite on his fakes.

Thanks Eric. You wrote what I meant.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
eh - I expect to lose at least one of the first two home games - but that doesn't really concern me. We WILL without a doubt in my mind win at least one fo two in Dallas in games 3 and 4 and then will have to hold serve in Game 5. This is gonna be an old fashioned run and gun 7 game shootout where everyone's gonna go crazy with wild mood swings after every single game.

If we're rusty - okay - we get it out of our system and give Dallas a HUGE head coming off their last victory - that's when we probably squeak out a Game 2 win and then come back and silence their crowd inthe fourth in Game 3 to take back control of the series. I'd rather see us win tonight and not have to worry about that but it's just what my gut's telling me is gonna happen.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Thanks Eric. You wrote what I meant.

You're welcome. But I still say the Suns in five. ;)

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe nobody questioned James' calling the JJ/Finley matchup even. At this point in their respective careers I would call that an advantage to JJ by a significant margin.

I think the X factor is Jerry Stackhouse. I'm really worried about that Dallas bench.

Jo

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard