Ed Oliver

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
uhhhh his numbers at his pro day were in the same stratosphere as Aaron Donald. At the beginning of the year I thought this guy was a top 3 pick and I am back in that mindset now. holy smokes he can move.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Gary was the best potential edge rusher coming out of high school. Once he got to college he never moved forward. He might develop but he’d be a huge risk early.

Oliver hasn’t disappeared he’s just viewed as something of a head case. He needed to polish his technique but retired from the field. I don’t know if he enjoys the game. I’m not sure he has the dedication to become an impact player. I’d pass.

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
Oliver hasn’t disappeared he’s just viewed as something of a head case. He needed to polish his technique but retired from the field. I don’t know if he enjoys the game. I’m not sure he has the dedication to become an impact player. I’d pass.

This is a ridiculous take. It’s hard to polish your technique as a pass rusher playing as a NT.

By head case, you’re obviously referring to the overblown jacket incident in which both parties admitted they were in wrong. Major Applewhite ended up getting fired after a 8-5 season because he couldn’t connect with the players.

Anyone questioning his passion for the game hasn’t watched him play. The dude has a nonstop motor, even when he’s not around the ball. There are plenty of plays where he’s running down RBs and WRs down the field.

He had a minor knee injury in the middle of his junior season. He had two completely healthy years of film in his pocket. He should’ve shut it down and got ready for the draft, but came back and tried to play a month later to help his team get into the conference championship game.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is a ridiculous take. It’s hard to polish your technique as a pass rusher playing as a NT.

By head case, you’re obviously referring to the overblown jacket incident in which both parties admitted they were in wrong. Major Applewhite ended up getting fired after a 8-5 season because he couldn’t connect with the players.

Anyone questioning his passion for the game hasn’t watched him play. The dude has a nonstop motor, even when he’s not around the ball. There are plenty of plays where he’s running down RBs and WRs down the field.

He had a minor knee injury in the middle of his junior season. He had two completely healthy years of film in his pocket. He should’ve shut it down and got ready for the draft, but came back and tried to play a month later to help his team get into the conference championship game.

Quinnen Williams played nose tackle one season and has some of the best technique in years. Great technique is important to every position.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I posted a mock recently taking Oliver number one over all... and I stand by that observation :D

You can see on tape that he is an elite athlete. No reason to raise/lower grade because his pro day just confirms. I respect that you go by what YOU see! That's the fun part about this process!

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
Quinnen Williams played nose tackle one season and has some of the best technique in years. Great technique is important to every position.

Also helps you can learn behind 1st round talent and have highly rated prospects playing alongside you. Ed started as a true freshman at UH with no one even close to his skill set, then his coaches left for UT. Lacking technique can be coached.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Also helps you can learn behind 1st round talent and have highly rated prospects playing alongside you. Ed started as a true freshman at UH with no one even close to his skill set, then his coaches left for UT. Lacking technique can be coached.

Quinnen added almost 30lbs in the offseason to move inside from DE. Technique can be coached, but just like route running for WR, there's no guarantee it happens.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
You can see on tape that he is an elite athlete. No reason to raise/lower grade because his pro day just confirms. I respect that you go by what YOU see! That's the fun part about this process!

I saw a guy being moved around, all alone for the most part, and being even triple teamed on some plays and he kept up the pressure in the gut of the offense... his stats do not tell the true story, so yeah I like the guy in the first

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Quinnen played DT, not NT. Oliver idiotically by the coaches played NT.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we were to draft EO, I wonder if we would use him like the Texans use Clowney? Basically is a floater until right before the snap, so offense has a hard time accounting for him pre snap. I would suggest the same with Rashaan Gary. He could be called a "defensive weapon"

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s kind of the forgotten man in this draft but if you had told me at the beginning of the college Season Ed Oliver was going to be a Cardinal I would have been happy as all ....

If we trade back he’s definitely a guy we should target. I wonder if he’s fast enough to play standing up

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Gary was the best potential edge rusher coming out of high school. Once he got to college he never moved forward. He might develop but he’d be a huge risk early.

I seriously respect you Harry, but from all the years of reading your posts, it seems like you are dialed into a lot of the old school, conservative football brains.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Everything screams awesome on Oliver except the fact he might go spellman/nkemdiche. Pass.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Everything screams awesome on Oliver except the fact he might go spellman/nkemdiche. Pass.

How do you figure?

Nkimdiche literally got high and jumped out of a window before the draft and never really produced in college what about Ed Oliver says he’s this type of person or player

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
How do you figure?

Nkimdiche literally got high and jumped out of a window before the draft and never really produced in college what about Ed Oliver says he’s this type of person or player

Yeah I'm with you on this. Oliver is a personality, but what a freak athlete.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson