Duncan may get suspension!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
There was no altercation but then again at the time Diaw and Amare stepped on the court there was no altercation either, the altercation happened when they were retreating.

That is a very good point. Amare and Diaw moved towards Nash as he lay down against the boards--anything resembling an "altercation" happened a few seconds AFTER that -- i.e. the Raja/Horry scuffle.

And since nobody else has said it much, props to Raja for standing up for Nash. I'm certainly glad he didn't throw any punches, but it was nice to see our enforcer stand up for Steve.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He definitely left the coach's box. Since we're discussing the letter of the law ...

Avery Johnson leaves the box during every single game. While play is still going on. He basically jumps onto the court screaming.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Avery Johnson leaves the box during every single game. While play is still going on. He basically jumps onto the court screaming.

Of that there is no doubt. I sometimes anticipate him grabbing the ball and trying to play PG again. Both he and D'Antoni seem to have frustrated jock syndrome. They sometimes can't get their players to do what they want to do, so they subconsciously move to the court like they were still players. AJ is more extreme in leaving the box, though. By far.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Altercation escalation clause.

Man, if THAT did escalate the situation to an altercation level, you'd have to suspend the hell out of Duncan...for the series, I'd think. A player leaving the bench and starting a fight is practically unheard of. I kind of want to see it happen now...just to see it.

GREG ANTHONY did just that. Left the bench and blindside KJ with a punch.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Of that there is no doubt. I sometimes anticipate him grabbing the ball and trying to play PG again. Both he and D'Antoni seem to have frustrated jock syndrome. They sometimes can't get their players to do what they want to do, so they subconsciously move to the court like they were still players. AJ is more extreme in leaving the box, though. By far.

It's just everyone, especially the resident Laker fan, keep this hardliner stance like the rules are never broken and are never bent, and that's just not true.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's just everyone, especially the resident Laker fan, keep this hardliner stance like the rules are never broken and are never bent, and that's just not true.

Chap, the rule in question has been the most steadfast, hardline rule that Stern has. Quit pretending it is not.

You can debate altercation, or leaving the bench vs. already standing, but don't act like they don't enforce that rule with an iron fist because they do.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I can't believe I missed that. Was it prior to the not leaving the bench rule? What did they do to Anthony?

I believe this rule was put in place because of that very altercation between the Suns/Knicks in an extremely heated January game. KJ started the game with his head ready to blow because local media had been drumming about how soft KJ was and how tough the Knicks were. You could just see that fight coming from a week away.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Man, I can't believe I missed that. Was it prior to the not leaving the bench rule? What did they do to Anthony?

I think the rule was instituted because of that event. I believe Barkley said that last night, if I'm not mistaken.

sunsfn

Reaction score
He definitely left the coach's box. Since we're discussing the letter of the law ...

Many coaches go out on the court to stop fights or break up fights, or to check on an injured player, and as far as I know none of them have been suspended or fined for that.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many coaches go out on the court to stop fights or break up fights, or to check on an injured player, and as far as I know none of them have been suspended or fined for that.

I don't think Coaches are bound by that rule.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What's really ironic is prior to the start of this series there were some articles out there about how classy the Spurs were. Basically saying, "what is there to hate about the Spurs?"

Now they are probably the most dirty team in the entire NBA

Scot1

Registered
Reaction score
Well, what if they internally said, "To be fair:D, we'll suspend Amare, Duncan, Bowen, and Diaw, along with Horry." My guess is we'd win Game 5 going away.

That aside, this whole mess is Stern's fault, and the fault of his subordinates, the refs. They've tacitly said kneeing the MVP, kicking Amare, etc., are OK, as is boasting about tough play. I'm not sure they understand that lots of these guys are immersed in gang culture. If Stern et al don't respond early, they have to overrespond later in an unfair and ineffective way.

AmareFan

4DASUNS
Reaction score
Jalen Rose was on ESPN and said the league is reviewing tape when Duncan left the bench in the 2nd quarter. This is when Elson dunked and came down on top of James Jones and fell to the floor.

Dan Patrick just said the same thing on his show...the league is looking at Tim Duncan stepping onto the court after the dunk play. Patrick stated that the Duncan and Amare deal may cancel each other out.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure they understand that lots of these guys are immersed in gang culture.

I admit I don't know all the intimate details of everyone on the Suns and Spurs rosters, but I can't think of anyone that boasts of that kind of background. The closest players are Bruce Bowen and Amare Stoudemire, but both of them seemed to use basketball to avoid the pitfalls. There are many foreign players on both rosters that wouldn't know a gang sign from a stop sign. Robert Horry is originally from Maryland and grew up in Andalusia, Ala. I've been to Andalusia. It's freakin' Mayberry ... with fewer stoplights.

I don't really see a gang culture on these two teams. Not at all.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't see any evidence of gang culture on either team. What I do see is a corporate culture on the Spurs part that emphasizes intimidation. Pop seems to think the Suns are "soft" and if the Spurs just get physical enough, the Suns will fold.

I'm not sure they are as rough with everyone else, but then again there are very few teams that can beat the Spurs. Without the rough stuff, the Suns win by 20.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AH HA!!!!!

EVIDENCE!!!!!!

IF STAT AND BORIS GOES DOWN WHAT DO WE MAKE OF THIS??????

sorry for yelling...

Nothing. No altercation was taking place. People stand up on the court all the time during games...look at Ronny Turiaf.

planaria

Rookie
Reaction score
It was exactly the same reaction Amare had. He was up for start some altercation or help Elson (what is exactly the Amare´s attitude).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson