Duncan may get suspension!

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
there was no foul on that play............. a T could of very easily of been called (just like a coach leaving the box or any player not checked into the game entering play)

however far from suspension worthy

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duncan goes farther into the court than Amare, who went up the sidelines.

~snip~

I don't think Duncan is MUCH more in the vicinity of the bench at all. Amare didn't even get to the scorers table and was along the baseline and only stepped into the court to get around the other Suns players who stood up and looked out to see what was happening. Duncan, and eventually Bowen, went out into the court past the 3pt line while the game was going on.

I don't know what video you were watching, but Amare was well on the court, at least past the three point line extended, then trying to get to the scuffle, then drug back to the bench.

And when you say past the 3 pt line it implies it is really far into the court, but there really isn't a lot of space there, between the corner three and the out of bounds. It is basically a step, especially for 7 footers.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is all going to be based on the definition of the word "altercation". Where is the line draw? If the rule is going to enforced strictly, then the words need to be very tightly defined.

Are two guys jawing an altercation or just forming the potential of an altercation? If the rule applies to the later, then IMHO Duncan would be in trouble because that incident had the potential. Unreasonable? Absolutely, but that's what this whole debate is about.

480cat

Reaction score
If the league decides to go by the book, they MUST suspend Duncan and Bowen. It is clear as day Duncan left the bench as soon as it looked like there might be a potential issue. He can claim he was going to check on his teammate, but so can Amare and Boris. If it is a black and white rule, Horry, Duncan, Bowen, Amare and Boris should all be watching game 5 on TV away from the USAC.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
480 - would you consider a play where there was no foul, no stoppage in play, no additional contact an altercation?!

OP
OP
CardShark

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
I don't know what video you were watching, but Amare was well on the court, at least past the three point line extended, then trying to get to the scuffle, then drug back to the bench.

And when you say past the 3 pt line it implies it is really far into the court, but there really isn't a lot of space there, between the corner three and the out of bounds. It is basically a step, especially for 7 footers.

The way you paint it, Amare had to be restrained from getting into the altercation. That's not even close to being true. It looks like he stopped on his own and put his arms out to stop anyone else as soon as he saw the official put up his hand to warn Amare to stand back. Then the coaches pulled him back towards the bench.

Being on the floor means anywhere on the floor, not beyond certain points.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the league decides to go by the book, they MUST suspend Duncan and Bowen. It is clear as day Duncan left the bench as soon as it looked like there might be a potential issue. He can claim he was going to check on his teammate, but so can Amare and Boris. If it is a black and white rule, Horry, Duncan, Bowen, Amare and Boris should all be watching game 5 on TV away from the USAC.

There was no altercation...there is your difference.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way you paint it, Amare had to be restrained from getting into the altercation. That's not even close to being true. It looks like he stopped on his own and put his arms out to stop anyone else as soon as he saw the official put up his hand to warn Amare to stand back. Then the coaches pulled him back towards the bench.

Being on the floor means anywhere on the floor, not beyond certain points.

That is mildly the way I saw it...he heads to nash, sees raja charge and changes direction to go to Horry, then the coaches (4 of them I think) drag him back to the bench and he doesn't just turn around and go there...

It looked to me like he was going to go give Horry some static (and I don't blame him). I don't have a dog in this hunt, and if I did it would be the Suns...that's just the way I saw the incident.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duncan going onto the court could've escalated the situation into an altercation :)

Altercation escalation clause.

Man, if THAT did escalate the situation to an altercation level, you'd have to suspend the hell out of Duncan...for the series, I'd think. A player leaving the bench and starting a fight is practically unheard of. I kind of want to see it happen now...just to see it.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Altercation escalation clause.

Man, if THAT did escalate the situation to an altercation level, you'd have to suspend the hell out of Duncan...for the series, I'd think. A player leaving the bench and starting a fight is practically unheard of. I kind of want to see it happen now...just to see it.

With the escalating rate of flagrant fouls, you just might see that happen in game 5......

I can see it now, game tied at 98 with 10 seconds left, Nash steals the ball and has a wide open fast break layup. Bowen jumps off the bench and tackles Nash before he can make the layup. No foul is called. We go to overtime :)

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
That is mildly the way I saw it...he heads to nash, sees raja charge and changes direction to go to Horry, then the coaches (4 of them I think) drag him back to the bench and he doesn't just turn around and go there...

It looked to me like he was going to go give Horry some static (and I don't blame him). I don't have a dog in this hunt, and if I did it would be the Suns...that's just the way I saw the incident.

Amare made the fatal mistake for getting off the bench. It's a STUPID rule, but a rule nonetheless. I don't see how the NBA couldn't enforce the rule. It would suck and would be a perfect illustration of how STUPID this rule really is. But how can the NBA say, "Yea - we know it's the rule, but we'll let it go this time"...

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone wonder if D'Antoni might get fined for his initial behavior?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amare made the fatal mistake for getting off the bench. It's a STUPID rule, but a rule nonetheless. I don't see how the NBA couldn't enforce the rule. It would suck and would be a perfect illustration of how STUPID this rule really is. But how can the NBA say, "Yea - we know it's the rule, but we'll let it go this time"...

I pretty much agree with everything you posted there. The NBA is painted into a corner by a strict rule that is too strict for starters, and now it can impact a playoff series. But they can't back away from the rule without abandoning it altogehter.

Rock------->Stern<-------Hard Place

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
There was no altercation but then again at the time Diaw and Amare stepped on the court there was no altercation either, the altercation happened when they were retreating.

Duncan was further onto the court than the Suns however.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was no altercation but then again at the time Diaw and Amare stepped on the court there was no altercation either, the altercation happened when they were retreating.

He was also further away from the event in question as well.

And I don't think he was further onto the court than Amare.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
If you are going to suspend Amare and Diaw, Horry and Duncan must go to...."thats the letter of the law"

480cat

Reaction score
I agree that the situations are different, all I am saying is that if the rule is black and white TD and BB SHOULD be suspended as well as Amare and Boris. IMHO Steve Kerr's article is very logical and I agree with him 100%

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

The league does not have to renounce the rule as long as they focus on whether the facts correspond to the rule.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He definitely left the coach's box. Since we're discussing the letter of the law ...

I don't think that rule is enforced very often. I've seen tons of coaches past halfcourt arguing calls with the refs. Besides, when a player is injured and there is a stop in play, it's fairly common for a trainer or coach to check on that player.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard