Does Kyler trust his speed?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think KM was given marching orders which favored going down early and not risking injury over going the extra yard or two to pick up a needed 1st down and spending the rest of the season on IR.

Balancing safety and extra production is tricky, and I think the Cards have told KM "when in doubt, go down or run out of bounds."

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
This year Lamar Jackson is all world but last year he was figuring it out. I didn't see many of his games last year. Was he hesitant as he was figuring things out? I know he is a lot bigger that KM but hoping with a year under his belt we will see a much more confident and intentional player in Murray.

Lamar is a runner I’m the sense that he wants to run. He wants to embarrass defenders and doesn’t mind contact. Their mindsets are completely different.

I was on the side of being cautious with Murray running before the season. I wanted more scrambling than designed runs but it’s clear he has to have that threat to be effective. I don’t think he sees the field well from the pocket so the offense is pretty limited without that running element. If a QB breaks off a long run it’s in the defense’s mind all game.

Last edited:

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's a combo of things imo. Weight gain, faster players, etc. It's like throwing the ball out of bounds.. he never had to do it before so it's an adjustment that he will make, just like running with the ball against faster playes. Both will get better with time.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lamar is a runner I’m the sense that he wants to run. He wants to embarrass defenders and doesn’t mind contact. Their mindsets are completely different.

I was on the side of being cautious with Murray running before the season. I wanted more scrambling than designed runs but it’s clear he has to have that threat to be effective. I don’t think he sees the field well from the pocket so the offense is pretty limited without that running element. If a QB breaks off a long run it’s in the defense’s mind all game.
I also think Lamar's got better vision as a runner. Its all time RB great.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not particularly sure what your point is with this post, but those plays have nothing to do with what happened on Kyler's long run. It seemed obvious to me (and apparently Kyler as well) that had he kept running up the left side he was going to be caught. He saw a good cut back lane and decided to take it to see if he could potentially break it for a bigger gain. It may have even worked if two blockers didn't run right past #21 who made the tackle.
Yup agreed. If one of those guys block that DB kylers still running.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Could be.

I just remember them telling me short strides are what people do when they lack balance and or are afraid of their footing so as you get stronger(in rehab) your stride should lengthen back out because it's more natural.

I just can't recall ever seeing anybody that ridiculously fast, and he's ridiculously fast, that has such a short stride.
Short strides favor lateral movement.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This year Lamar Jackson is all world but last year he was figuring it out. I didn't see many of his games last year. Was he hesitant as he was figuring things out? I know he is a lot bigger that KM but hoping with a year under his belt we will see a much more confident and intentional player in Murray.

Last year, Jackson was initially trying to run an offense that was designed for Joe Flacco. The Ravens were able to make adjustments that allowed Jackson to run some, but they couldn't completely scrap that offense until the offseason. Even when Jackson ran last year, he didn't protect the ball at all, and was turning the ball over at an alarming rate. It's truly amazing what a great coaching staff can do. Kudos to Harbaugh & the Ravens. The Ravens are a very good team on both sides of the ball. And it's a good thing. If they get behind by a lot, Jackson does not have the ability to rally a team with his arm. But, I just don't see the Ravens ever falling behind by enough to stop the Ravens from using Jackson's legs.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think he need to cut at all. Just a simple fake to the inside and then turn up the sideline. Might have got caught, but would have picked up another 15 to 20 yards imo. It was Kyler vs. the slowest Browns DB. He had an opportunity imo. If that was Denzel Ward I'd get it.

Maybe I've watched too many Lamar Jackson highlight runs.
It looked to me like he was going for spot location for the next play. He wanted the ball at mid-field rather than on the left hash.

OK. I looked at it frame by frame. He was trying to run back toward his blockers coming down field. He wanted to use blockers to gain more yardage, and it almost worked.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Kyler runs much faster now because he focuses on the run first and going down second.

Early in the season it seemed to be all about avoiding the hit.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Does Kyler trust his speed? Dang Lou, if Kyler is not the nitpick champion of the history of a sports forum, I have no idea who is. I think we need a thread about how he grips the ball next when he throws to the right or if he's comfortable with the amount of shirts he wears under his pads :)

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Old man Russell Wilson still has a great feel for when to run. Surprised to see Minshew ranked #1.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I do think the offense is more dangerous when Kyler takes off and puts fear in the defense.

Would like to him do this more next season. He's not a true "zone read runner" like Lamar so a couple of times a game he needs to take off when its not there.

Might not seem like a big deal. However, that 1 drive extended by a run could be the difference between winning and losing.

Then again maybe having better blocking to see the running lanes would help.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Obviously worse/slower comp on the field. But man...that 190 speed.

DumboD

Rookie
Reaction score
In his jump to the NFL, Kyler was faced with significantly more overall team speed compared to the teams he faced at the college level. Undoubtedly, the coaches made him aware of this, not just to avoid injury, but to keep from turning the ball over. I believe that with more NFL experience, he will turn into a more confident, but still a selective and cautious runner. In other words, he will get a better sense of where the running lanes are and where the fastest defensive players are.
I think he will be running more effectively next year, and hopefully, for many years after that.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has anyone considered the possibility that K1 may come into camp slightly lighter & faster than last year? With his size being such an issue last year, it was obvious he did his best to beef up from his college days. Having already silenced his critics, Kyler may drop a few lbs. to speed up a hair. That’s just my opinion. He may very well keep it the same.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone considered the possibility that K1 may come into camp slightly lighter & faster than last year? With his size being such an issue last year, it was obvious he did his best to beef up from his college days. Having already silenced his critics, Kyler may drop a few lbs. to speed up a hair. That’s just my opinion. He may very well keep it the same.
Depends

I think if we go oline (maybe after a couple of years of an improved oline) he might drop weight.

He does a pretty good already of killing plays in order to avoid big hits. I think some of the big shots he took last year were primarily because obviously the NFL is much faster, but because he wasnt as fast as he use to be. Tried to turn on the burners and couldnt do it like before.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Depends

I think if we go oline (maybe after a couple of years of an improved oline) he might drop weight.

He does a pretty good already of killing plays in order to avoid big hits. I think some of the big shots he took last year were primarily because obviously the NFL is much faster, but because he wasnt as fast as he use to be. Tried to turn on the burners and couldnt do it like before.

The weight is fine, he need these 15 lb to absorb hits, and he is more quick then faster
And I think his acceleration is outstanding

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The weight is fine, he need these 15 lb to absorb hits, and he is more quick then faster
And I think his acceleration is outstanding
I agree he's more quick than fast.

However, Lincoln Riley will tell you that Kyler and Hollywood Brown would be a close match in the 40. At least back in college.

He does need the extra weight now. I guess best case scenario is eventually maintains weight but returns to his college speed. Similar to Lamar Jackson (not that he has to be that. )

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson