Does Kyler trust his speed?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've been on record saying that the weight gain has made him slower than he was at OU. I also think he's not use to running his hardest all game. It came kind of easy for him in college. However, he's been hesistant to truly trust his speed and burst in the NFL imo.

When he really wants too he can still hit another gear. Evidence by him cracking on 20 mph on that final run vs. the Falcons and the game sealing run vs. the Bengals. However, most of the season hasn't really trust it.

To me there was no need to make all those cuts. Just try to outrun the defender instead of cutting across the field to run into faster Denzel Ward.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This play looked like he was just fed up with all the ints lately and showed his true explosiveness. Its in slow mo yet looks like he's been sped up.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I hope a year of NFL training gets him more confident to trust his speed and physicality (no I don't want him running over defenders)

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He should teach p21how to tackle
Looked like a bullet against Wilson, if he wasn't on the sideline it was a fumble
lol that was a really good tackle.

I just hope/wish he shows that kind of burst more often. He could avoid a lot of sacks if he did.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still say it's on Kliff to design more plays for Kyler to run left because it's so obvious he runs better going left because IMO he just makes his mind up earlier to actually run. I hate how he carries the ball on that run, very dangerous, but when he runs left he's much more dangerous. They're going to have to fix that, teams will and in fact already are sitting on it so he's going to have to start turning the corner going right more often.

Nice to see him run harder and still not really take any big hits. That's the key for me, I love Lamar Jackson but he takes quite a few big hits. As Collinsworth said last night when Duck got lit up against Buffalo, veteran QB's learn if you want to last in this league, throw the ball away or get down don't take those big hits or your career won't be very long.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me there was no need to make all those cuts. Just try to outrun the defender instead of cutting across the field to run into faster Denzel Ward.

He was definitely either going to be caught or run out of room on the sidelines. He wasn't going to 'trust his speed' on the sidelines and win out. I absolutely loved the fact that he wanted more and cut inside.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He was definitely either going to be caught or run out of room on the sidelines. He wasn't going to 'trust his speed' on the sidelines and win out. I absolutely loved the fact that he wanted more and cut inside.
I don't think he need to cut at all. Just a simple fake to the inside and then turn up the sideline. Might have got caught, but would have picked up another 15 to 20 yards imo. It was Kyler vs. the slowest Browns DB. He had an opportunity imo. If that was Denzel Ward I'd get it.

Maybe I've watched too many Lamar Jackson highlight runs.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was mainly happy because he had the ball in his right hand so the longer he's going down the left side the more likely someone strips it out. cutting across right at least the ball is in the hand it should be.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Thought the same thing. On the left side he had 2 DBs running with him. He was one missed block away from potentially going all the way after the cut back.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I think he will learn

that run kinda looked like if he just straight-lined it down the sideline, he may have outrun the pursuit -- but that easy for us to say

I do think that in general -- he would benefit from fewer jukes and use the speed

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think he will learn

that run kinda looked like if he just straight-lined it down the sideline, he may have outrun the pursuit -- but that easy for us to say

I do think that in general -- he would benefit from fewer jukes and use the speed
He had a DB a step ahead of him and gaining speed. He was never going to get past him and that has nothing to do with trust of his speed, but the simple fact that it is remarkably hard to break long TD runs in the NFL (especially when there are defenders down the field to pursue).

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NFL players are faster than college, and they are bigger and stronger. I think Kyler is trying to avoid injury--not in a fearful way. He is just trying to be smart so he can continue to be on the field. He is pretty good at making defenders miss enough to avoid injury.

That might be one of his greatest attributes.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He had a DB a step ahead of him and gaining speed. He was never going to get past him and that has nothing to do with trust of his speed, but the simple fact that it is remarkably hard to break long TD runs in the NFL (especially when there are defenders down the field to pursue).

2 examples of that yesterday in other games. In the Titans game a pass at the goalline is jarred loose, I still say catch and fumble, they ruled it an INT. The LB who caught it went over 80 yards down the right sideline before being taken down by the TE who came from the opposite side of the field and ran him down, REALLY impressive that TE (smith) has some serious speed. Had a 50 plus yard run later which was the longest run for a TD by a TE in the NFL in over 40 years.

In the Bills game the CB White picks off Duck and goes flying down the left sideline and gets caught, by an OL about the 15. He was tiring and the OL had a head start and the angle but still a great example of why you never give up on a play he was able to make a TD saving tackle.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This year Lamar Jackson is all world but last year he was figuring it out. I didn't see many of his games last year. Was he hesitant as he was figuring things out? I know he is a lot bigger that KM but hoping with a year under his belt we will see a much more confident and intentional player in Murray.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
2 examples of that yesterday in other games. In the Titans game a pass at the goalline is jarred loose, I still say catch and fumble, they ruled it an INT. The LB who caught it went over 80 yards down the right sideline before being taken down by the TE who came from the opposite side of the field and ran him down, REALLY impressive that TE (smith) has some serious speed. Had a 50 plus yard run later which was the longest run for a TD by a TE in the NFL in over 40 years.

In the Bills game the CB White picks off Duck and goes flying down the left sideline and gets caught, by an OL about the 15. He was tiring and the OL had a head start and the angle but still a great example of why you never give up on a play he was able to make a TD saving tackle.
Not particularly sure what your point is with this post, but those plays have nothing to do with what happened on Kyler's long run. It seemed obvious to me (and apparently Kyler as well) that had he kept running up the left side he was going to be caught. He saw a good cut back lane and decided to take it to see if he could potentially break it for a bigger gain. It may have even worked if two blockers didn't run right past #21 who made the tackle.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not particularly sure what your point is with this post, but those plays have nothing to do with what happened on Kyler's long run. It seemed obvious to me (and apparently Kyler as well) that had he kept running up the left side he was going to be caught. He saw a good cut back lane and decided to take it to see if he could potentially break it for a bigger gain. It may have even worked if two blockers didn't run right past #21 who made the tackle.

I was responding to what you wrote it's remarkably hard to break a long run in the NFL, I was supporting that comment by citing 2 examples of exactly that which both happened yesterday. Like I said I was glad he cut it back for 2 reasons, he had the ball in the wrong hand, and it was good to see him try and get more yardage there not just step out of bounds.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think he need to cut at all. Just a simple fake to the inside and then turn up the sideline. Might have got caught, but would have picked up another 15 to 20 yards imo. It was Kyler vs. the slowest Browns DB. He had an opportunity imo. If that was Denzel Ward I'd get it.

Maybe I've watched too many Lamar Jackson highlight runs.

Look again, there is a DB cutting off the sideline and has position on him. The DB is running an angle that is heading out and to the sideline. I don't think anyone in the NFL outruns that DB there using straight speed.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I was responding to what you wrote it's remarkably hard to break a long run in the NFL, I was supporting that comment by citing 2 examples of exactly that which both happened yesterday. Like I said I was glad he cut it back for 2 reasons, he had the ball in the wrong hand, and it was good to see him try and get more yardage there not just step out of bounds.
Makes sense now that I actually think about it. ;)

Just not very used to getting a lot of support around here (especially when Murray is the topic of discussion).

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Murray has eyes in the back of his head apparently.

His ability to see holes developing is unbelievable

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I watch him run I can't help of think of my PT folks when I rehabbed after my torn patellar tendon. his short strides would drive them both nuts, heel toe lengthen that stride out. They had me walk fast on a treadmill just to make me lengthen my stride out to normal. I know Tyler is short but he's basically the same size as me and seems to have a much shorter stride. Makes me wonder if he's just faster that way or if anybody ever tried to get him to lengthen it.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
When I watch him run I can't help of think of my PT folks when I rehabbed after my torn patellar tendon. his short strides would drive them both nuts, heel toe lengthen that stride out. They had me walk fast on a treadmill just to make me lengthen my stride out to normal. I know Tyler is short but he's basically the same size as me and seems to have a much shorter stride. Makes me wonder if he's just faster that way or if anybody ever tried to get him to lengthen it.
Maybe he has shorter legs than you?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe he has shorter legs than you?

Could be.

I just remember them telling me short strides are what people do when they lack balance and or are afraid of their footing so as you get stronger(in rehab) your stride should lengthen back out because it's more natural.

I just can't recall ever seeing anybody that ridiculously fast, and he's ridiculously fast, that has such a short stride.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson