Dockett Deserved Better

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The devil is always in the details with Bidwill. We will see how is replacement performs. Having a salary floor now takes out a lot of Bidwill's ability to go cheap on players. I recall after the '98 playoff year the wholesale dismemberment of that team in an era before there was a salary floor. In deals like this competence is still a question about Bidwill.

Kraft cut an even better DT this year and that is ok but if bidwill does it its SOC? get outa here.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Belechek is a good strategist. But the Pats as an org. don't win 1 SB, let alone 4 without the QB. They might have success, but that don't get them over the hump.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
Feel free to join us in the 21st century.

Just as soon as Big Red joins the 20th Century and wins a Super Bowl. Knocking down guys like you is so easy because I have facts on my side. All you have is faith.

Last edited:

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
Kraft cut an even better DT this year and that is ok but if bidwill does it its SOC? get outa here.

How many Super Bowls has Kraft won? That entitles him to benefit of the doubt. Big Red embarrassed themselves because they had a third QB who was not ready to play. I hoped Big Red learned the lesson that they need 3 QBs that can play. If Thomas cant fill the role then he needs to be cut or on practice squad. It is called learning from experience. It has not been a Bidwill strong suit.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is comical how much new england slobbering is on this board lately. New england woulda done this! New england woulda done that!

screw new england. Our management has been doing great the last few years and working like a well oiled franchise. Until that starts falling apart, let them make their own legacy vs clamoring for them to act like new england.

And sign wilfork.

I too laugh at all the New England talk. They hired a great coach and lucked into drafting one of the the best quarterbacks in history and have won 3 rings. Great. To act like they're the smartest team ever is comical. Look at their draft and free agency record. They're not nearly as flawless as people make them out to be.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Patriots and Cardinals did the same thing and used the same process when dealing with Wilfork and Dockett.

The difference is in how the PLAYERS reacted. Wilfork thanked the fans, and the organization. Dockett signed with a division rival and complained that the team didn't do more.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
The devil is always in the details with Bidwill. We will see how is replacement performs. Having a salary floor now takes out a lot of Bidwill's ability to go cheap on players. I recall after the '98 playoff year the wholesale dismemberment of that team in an era before there was a salary floor. In deals like this competence is still a question about Bidwill.

Just as soon as Big Red joins the 20th Century and wins a Super Bowl. Knocking down guys like you is so easy because I have facts on my side. All you have is faith.

How many Super Bowls has Kraft won? That entitles him to benefit of the doubt. Big Red embarrassed themselves because they had a third QB who was not ready to play. I hoped Big Red learned the lesson that they need 3 QBs that can play. If Thomas cant fill the role then he needs to be cut or on practice squad. It is called learning from experience. It has not been a Bidwill strong suit.
You're dad must've made you eat dozens of yellow snow cones 1 after another each time it snowed. :D

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you listen to Darnell Dockett's interview with MJ?

I don't blame him one bit and I think pretty much everything he said was honest---he missed 13 practices in 10 years, only 2 games prior to this season, played hurt, busted his tail even during losing streaks, played in practices with cracked ribs when other players missed 8 games with cracked ribs.

And he had what so few Cardinal players have had over the years a now---a beast mode switch.

I asked MJ today what players on the current Cardinals' defense have that switch. He said Calais (agree), Foote (who is now a coach) and that hopefully Patrick Peterson will step up (really?---the guy is afraid of tackling, just ask Marshawn Lynch, and he's one of the three most gifted punt returners on the planet and he won't return punts).

What was particularly troubling to hear from Darnell was that even when he came back to see if the Cardinals would match the 49ers' offer, neither Michael Bidwill nor Steve Keim even spoke to him.

Bidwill, who went to bat publicly for Fitz, apparently has not said one word to Dockett during this entire process.

The only time he heard from Keim was one time a few weeks ago when he informed Dockett he would have to take a pay cut. That's it.

For a player and highly passionate, dedicated leader who has been with the Cardinals for 10 years?

That is bad.

At least, Dockett had nothing but praise for BA. Said BA has reached out to him a couple of times and that BA deserves all the accolades he gets---that BA has treated him like a man, as has BA's wife, BA's son and BA's son's wife. Dockett said that if he doesn't get into the Cardinals' Ring of Honor at least he knows he will always have the relationships he forged with BA, BA's family and many of his most cherished Cardinal teammates.

What the 49ers did is they took a $2M gamble on Dockett---forget the rest of the contract numbers. All that matters is the guaranteed money. If Dockett shows up and is good to go, he can double the $2M into $4 for this season.

Seems like a very small number to pay for an alpha dog who could be the NFL Comeback Player of the Year.

Guess the Cardinals were not willing to take that gamble. And to tease Dockett with ridiculous incentives was a joke, and in my opinion, an embarrassment.

Releasing players on the decline is the way the Pats do it:

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/what-the-pats-would-do-cardinals-off-season-218658.html

Clearly Dockett wasn't in the Cardinal's plans moving forward. Would they have brought him back? I think they would have but only under their parameters.

iRobot

Veteran
Reaction score
How many teams in the league have 3 QBs that can play and play well. Please list them and don't just start naming any team that held 3 QBs on the roster, actually provide some statistical data that shows the 2nd and 3rd QB have a winning percentage or some type of tangible proof they play close to the level of winning QBs.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
How many teams in the league have 3 QBs that can play and play well. Please list them and don't just start naming any team that held 3 QBs on the roster, actually provide some statistical data that shows the 2nd and 3rd QB have a winning percentage or some type of tangible proof they play close to the level of winning QBs.

I just want a third QB that the HC feels like he can play. I said nothing about winning. Not being embarrassed with the playoff game being called the worst game in playoff history would be nice.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why are we talking about 3rd string QBs? no one has a 3rd string QB that can win playoff games.

The point is, you laud how NE does things, we do something like NE, not overpay for a declining star, and you are up in arms screaming same ol cardinals.

Patriots and Cardinals did the same thing and used the same process when dealing with Wilfork and Dockett.

The difference is in how the PLAYERS reacted. Wilfork thanked the fans, and the organization. Dockett signed with a division rival and complained that the team didn't do more.

I like how we handled it. We had a number we felt he was worthy of, he didnt like it and left. That is how it should be done vs overpaying just because someone else will.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
Right!

Makes bizarro sense, if you own that magic Delorean.

And they did win a league title in the 20th century.

Why dont you give me some idea how much time you are giving Bidwill to produce a Super Bowl win? Is it a blank check? If Big Red never won the Super Bowl or even had three winning seasons in a row would you not evaluate ownership at some point? What is that point for you? The state motto of MO is "The Show-Me State".

Last edited:

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
Why are we talking about 3rd string QBs? no one has a 3rd string QB that can win playoff games.

The point is, you laud how NE does things, we do something like NE, not overpay for a declining star, and you are up in arms screaming same ol cardinals.

I like how we handled it. We had a number we felt he was worthy of, he didnt like it and left. That is how it should be done vs overpaying just because someone else will.

I am not assessing Dockett deal. I said lets wait and see who is the replacement. Yeah, I admire successful organizations and am much more willing to give them benefit of doubt. It is curious how the Big Red has lots of players including guys who had been there a long time bad mouth the organization upon leaving.

Last edited:

iRobot

Veteran
Reaction score
I just want a third QB that the HC feels like he can play. I said nothing about winning. Not being embarrassed would be nice.

Do you see how many teams have trouble even fielding ONE good QB? -- Good, competent QBs don't just grow on trees my man.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
As Somers stated there doesnt always have to be bad guy. Would i have liked them to keep Dockett for extra 500K? Sure. I think they made him a fair offer and I dont blame Dockett one bit for leaving. Im just glad he didnt go to SEA or STL.

The key is how do they plug that hole and how do they spend that money. Dockett should be in the Ring one day so hell go play out the string on the never better then 8-8 Tomsula 49ers and come back here on one day contract to retire. The Birdgang CEO will always be a Cardinal no matter what.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why dont you give me some idea how much time you are giving Bidwill to produce a Super Bowl win? Is it a blank check? If Big Red never won the Super Bowl or even had three winning seasons in a row would you not evaluate ownership at some point? What is that point for you? The state motto of MO is "The Show-Me State".

I see fairly constant improvement at all levels since the opening of the new stadium and new revenue streams. But, it seems, this is irrelevant to you because they didn't win a Super Bowl in the 20th. century. Well, given that we can't go back in time, I can see how the Bidwill's present or future can ever satisfy you.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
I see fairly constant improvement at all levels since the opening of the new stadium and new revenue streams. But, it seems, this is irrelevant to you because they didn't win a Super Bowl in the 20th. century. Well, given that we can't go back in time, I can see how the Bidwill's present or future can ever satisfy you.

You didnt answer the question. The process of improvement results in eventual goal achievement. So what if they dont ever reach the goal? Is there any point that you apply the same evaluation process you use for players and coaches to the owner?

Last edited:

Son of RedRage

All Star
Reaction score
What is it with every great player of ours heading to San Francisco in the free agency? First Boldin, now Dockett.. I hope we pick up Michael Crabtree, for a bit of payback.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Seriously, you would have more success arguing with a brick wall. Why even try. Your best bet would be to put him on Ignore and enjoy the rest of your day.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
don't do it man. You are wasting your time arguing with this guy.

Yeah you should not argue with me. I have facts on my side. You have faith which with a dollar will buy you a soda. Sports are one of the greatest things on Earth because success or failure is black and white. It is there or it isnt. Politics is an endless morass because an excuse can always be made convincingly. Like Al Davis said, "Just win, baby" Vince Lombardi also said "winning is the only thing" in talking about how football success is measured.

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is it with every great player of ours heading to San Francisco in the free agency? First Boldin, now Dockett.. I hope we pick up Michael Crabtree, for a bit of payback.

Boldin went to Baltimore. Baltimore traded Boldin to the Niners after they won the SB.

We don't want Cashtree. He has done nothing as a Niner. If you want to hurt the Niners grab Iupati and Frank Gore.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Whatever. I loved Dock and he was #birdgang. But he is done, he had a decent offer for a dude his age and injury status and left it in order to take a slightly larger deal with a division rival that he has professed to hate over the years...and after giving noted mercenary Dansby static for chasing the money the year before.

Dock goes to a team in turmoil that missed the playoffs, lost their coach, lost their star RB, hired a nobody as HC and is on a tailspin, instead of signing with the team that brought him up, a coach that he obviously respects, with a eye on improving from an injury riddled 11 win playoff season. HE chose to go to SF and test the market rather than taking the deal on the table. Mr. Loyalty my ass.

Niner-0 can suck a fat one as he tweets about his last place in the NFC West team next season.

I almost always agree with you but I dont think this is fair. Do i agree with everything you said about choosing the tailspin 49ers and the heading to the penthouse Cards? Absolutely.

But lets be real he wasnt a FA. He had a contract. And because the NFL rules are what they are, they ripped it up and said take less. But when a player outperforms his contract and holds out - hes selfish. The Owners and Goodell got us all on a string and yo yo it back forth.

I get DD feeling disrespected and going to SF to prove a point. He IS more then his production would be in 2015.....JUst like we all acknowledge Fitz means more to the team then 70 cacthes and 900 yards and everyone nearly passed out from patting each other on the back when he resigned ABOVE market value.

And unlike Mitch I dont fault the Cardinals AT ALL. This makes total business sense. The irony is that Mitch brings up the Pats as the standard yet they are KNOWN for being cutthroat and throwing emotions out the door when it comes to every player but Brady. This is actually a positive sign for the Cardinals. They get it. They are not making fan driven moves. They are making WIN NOW moves.

So again there doesnt have to be a bad guy. Dockett can be bent but its more the circumstances then the actual details. Dude is 34 and coming off an ACL injury. Of course the Cardinals are going to cut bait unless he comes on their terms. And he didnt. Ok. Well be fine on the field and Dock will get over it once the emotion wears off.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn