Do you think Chase is a "real" baseball stadium?

PHXSportsFan4

Time for baseball season.
Reaction score
I was on a city forum earlier where you can get advice or help from locals of all different cities like what to do in a particular place or what are some good areas to move or whatever... There were some people in the Arizona forum that were talking about the sports in Phoenix and someone mentioned Chase Field and acted like it was just the worst stadium in baseball... He said a stadium with a roof is not a "real baseball stadium." I asked him what he meant by that and he said any baseball purist will tell you Chase Field is a monstrosity and a slap in the face to baseball purists. He went on to say it's more like a big NBA arena than a baseball stadium.

I have only been there once, in 1998. I consider myself a baseball purist and I don't see a problem with the stadium. Ok, it has a retractable roof, so what? I think it's cool. As a fan, why would you want to sit outside in baking miserable heat (like I did last year in St. Louis in July, both games were like 98 degrees outside and what some call the best fans in baseball were leaving in the 5th inning due to the brutal heat) when you could have a roof closed with the AC on and watch comfortably. What's the big deal? It's 2007, not 1908. Yes, Wrigley Field and Fenway Park are great. They are cathedrals to the baseball world. But at the same time, what's wrong with a modern, state of the art stadium with a roof on it? I think they are just jealous.

I'm wondering what you people who are actually in AZ think about this. I think it's probably just one guy looking for a reason to bash a nice stadium. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's not a real baseball park. What do you think?

Phxchris1989

Registered
Reaction score
I like it, I'll admit that it's no Camden Yards but it's one of my favorite stadiums of any sport. And it's the Sonoran desert, in the summer months the temperature hangs in the mid to upper one hundred teen degree range, so the players need the roof.

OP
OP
PHXSportsFan4

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
I like it, I'll admit that it's no Camden Yards but it's one of my favorite stadiums of any sport. And it's the Sonoran desert, in the summer months the temperature hangs in the mid to upper one hundred teen degree range, so the players need the roof.
I agree. I think as a fan that it's very convienient too. It's no Camden Yards, SBC Park, or PNC Park, but it's not like it's a bad place to watch a game.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, I was complaining about the architecture and it's resemblence to an airplane hanger. I am a purist who prefers open traditional looking stadiums. Then I thought about the day games in July and August and how sitting in the sun would be dangerous. Temp on the field would be fairly close to 120 I'd imagine. Attendance would be close to zero. I'd rather sit in my apartment and watch the game than suffer through that. I guess that makes me a fair weather fan.

I'm just happy we don't have artificial turf in either Chase or UPS. That would be criminal.

HooverDam

Reaction score
For us its either 1. stadium w/ a roof, or 2. no team. So it was a pretty easy choice to make.

I think Chase is rather ugly from the outside, it does look like an airplang hangar, but from inside its pretty nice. Even with the roof open, you never really feel outside though. I wish the black walls behind the vertical AL/NL scoreboard were glass like parts of the outfield walls are, that would let in more light and create a more open feel.

One thing I think would be fantastic is if the Garage Mahal on the north side of Jefferson was demolished. That thing has been a huge money pit for the city, and its rarely (if ever) full. It kills any sort of urban vitality or walkability in the area (since you have to walk around it, and there is no ground level retail or office space). If that beast could ever get knocked down and replaced with perhaps a couple of office towers or a hotel, it would not only increase foot traffic along Jefferson (and thus, the pregame atmosphere around the stadium), but being able to see a few towers out of the Chase Field windows would be really cool.

As far as anyone who calls themselves a 'purist' of anything, they are probably just a dunder head who is too rigid and stupid to change with the times and notice how things are improving around them.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
It's a real advanced stadium. I'll take it any day over stinky old Yankee Stadium, etc. If those stadiums were all so great, why would they be building new ones?

Last edited:

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I like the stadium...I don't think the roof is a problem because it is very useful when it's really hot or if it rains, even though that's doubtful. I think they should open it more, but the problem is the fans who complain about it and you have to keep them comfortable.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Purist my arse. I've only seen you guys stadium on tv, but it looks fine to me. Granted stadiums like the Astrodome, and Metrodome are things of the past, but if you can still keep a unique look without compromising functionality, then what's the problem?

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
as someone who has sat in both, it's definitely not the metrodome

I think the stadium does come off as a bit dark at times - the concourses have traditionally been cluttered and there are days you wonder why the roof is closed

however, with that said it's a good park - not a bad seat in the place, great sightlines, well maintained field, nice bullpen area

I wish the marlins had one like it - that's for sure

i wouldn't put it near my top parks - but that is really no fault of it's own

miller park is usually considered one of the tops in the league and it has a roof - safeco is also considered a pristine park, and it has a roof - hopefully when the marlins get a stadium it too will have a roof

there is no other way to do it down here

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
The Marlins new stadium should def have a roof with all the rain in the summers and the humidity.

I used to really like Chase but after being to several other ballparks I thinks it's pretty average. It's way too big and feels too much like an NFL stadium. Of course I'm comparing it to some of the best/traditional ballparks..... I've been to Wrigley, Camden, Dodger Stadium, Anaheim Stadium..... Anythings better then the dump known as Dodger Stadium and I'm not saying that because it's the Dodgers. That place sucks bad.

One of the main reasons why Chase has lost some points in my book is because of the fans. Their so damn quiet and passive it makes me sick. You yell or cheer and people look at you like you're a freak. You go to a Cubs game and everyone has Cubs gear on and is very into the game. It also makes a huge difference when the crowd has knowledge of whats going on, something that doesn't happen at Chase

Phxchris1989

Registered
Reaction score
Yo devilfan when I get back to AZ later this year we'll go to Diamondbacks games and scream our heads off. I'm a Diamondbacks fan, so when I go to Diamondbacks games I'd like to be in good company.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
If I had to rank Chase in terms of infastructure, inside and the like, I definitely WOULDN'T put it in the top 5. However, that being said, it's a far cry from a bottom 5 ballpark either.

I'd say, of the parks, it's around 10-11 in my rankings, which isn't bad.. I'd just say it's an average ballpark that serves it's purpose.

Then again, they could play in a little league park and I'd still go to the games.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody that has ever been to an ASU or Cardinals game at Sun Devil Stadium would call the Chase Field roof a blessing. Chase Field make lack that "classic appeal" due to its architecture and retractable roof, but there really wasn't any reasonable alternative. The stadium atmosphere does feel a lot better on nights where the roof can be open, though.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I like that, even with the roof open, it's an air conditioned stadium in the desert.

East Coast -- Midwest -- Deep South . . . stuck with their 90% humidity.

They're resentful of anyone who finds comforts in life, while enjoying summer activities.

And the Valley is filled with people who still refer to the East Coast -- Midwest -- Deep South as home.

When I first visited New Jersey, after leaving there for Phoenix 29 years ago, and someone asked me how it felt to be home, I said, "I'll let you know when I get back to Phoenix." . . . and I meant it.

Phxchris1989

Registered
Reaction score
When I first visited New Jersey, after leaving there for Phoenix 29 years ago, and someone asked me how it felt to be home, I said, "I'll let you know when I get back to Phoenix." . . . and I meant it.

lol, same here. I lived on the east coast until I was 16, I love Arizona now and while I was born in Maryland, I consider Arizona my state. Now, if I could just get back there!

arizona_andy

Reaction score
I think Chase Field is great and it is certainly my favorite stadium. And not just because I am a D-backs fan, because unlike most people I am really more a fan of the game itself rather than any one team.. I like lots of different players and teams, but the D-backs are certainly my favorite team.

Back to the stadium talk... in my opinion, I think ALL stadiums should have retractable roofs. (Waits for people to start throwing tomatoes and other objects in my direction) I am sure some baseball purists would consider shooting me for saying that, but it's simply a more comfortable experience for the fans and the players. Rainouts/snowouts would be a thing of the past. I would imagine that some day in the very distant future this may come true, because it is simply a "better" design (IMO), but certainly not in my lifetime. (and I am 26).

FORKTUNG

Registered
Reaction score
If it wasnt for Chase we wouldnt have major league baseball here.

My bigger worry is that in ten years it will be outdated and taxpayers asked to fund a replacement.

OP
OP
PHXSportsFan4

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
If it wasnt for Chase we wouldnt have major league baseball here.

My bigger worry is that in ten years it will be outdated and taxpayers asked to fund a replacement.
I think it will be fine for the next 20 years or so. If you look at most of the cookie cutter stadiums, most lasted about 30 years before they were finally replaced. As of right now, it is nowhere near outdated and has everything you would want in one of the newer modern stadiums.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I consider Arizona my state. Now, if I could just get back there!
Just do it, Phxchris1989, just do it.

When I drove my wife and two young sons from the East Coast to Phoenix on June 30, 1978 -- even with the thermometer at the VNB on Central Avenue reading 116 -- with a moving van on the way and no job lined up . . .

The first thing I did was replace our two license plates with Arizona plates.

Two weeks later I had a job. Two months later, we bought a house in the Shea/32nd St. area with a 40-foot pool in the back yard.

I've never regretted it.

Go, D'backs.

OP
OP
PHXSportsFan4

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
Just do it, Phxchris1989, just do it.

When I drove my wife and two young sons from the East Coast to Phoenix on June 30, 1978 -- even with the thermometer at the VNB on Central Avenue reading 116 -- with a moving van on the way and no job lined up . . .

The first thing I did was replace our two license plates with Arizona plates.

Two weeks later I had a job. Two months later, we bought a house in the Shea/32nd St. area with a 40-foot pool in the back yard.

I've never regretted it.

Go, D'backs.
Congratulations on that, even if it was almost 30 years ago. I'm in the process of trying to get things in place to move to Phoenix too and I love to hear of people's stories who have made the move. I know Phoenix is where I belong and I am 100% confident that I'll make it happen.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
They play baseball at Chase right? I mean all of the times I've been there that was "real" baseball being played right? Because if it was than it was a real baseball park.

As for sweet fields, it's not Petco but it's still mighty fine.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Petco is overrated and so is Chase on this board. There's a way to build a retractable roof baseball stadium without giving it the feel of a airplane hangar as evidenced by Safeco Field in Seattle.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Petco is overrated and so is Chase on this board. There's a way to build a retractable roof baseball stadium without giving it the feel of a airplane hangar as evidenced by Safeco Field in Seattle.

I thought Petco was nice, especially sitting in the upper deck and seeing the city.

Chase with the roof closed is bad; roof open, it is average at best.

I have yet to go to Safeco.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i've been to safeco a few times - and when the roof is off it looks like this

You must be registered for see images

very open, can see the city and the side the roof slides in from gives views of the game & the sound

never been in there with the roof closed though - in pictures it looks pretty similar to phoenix - with more light coming in through the left field line side of the stadium

not sure if they could do the same structure in phoenix

with the way the roof slides to the side i'm not sure how it would of worked in a downtown setting like phoenix

You must be registered for see images

maybe something more like miller park could of worked?

You must be registered for see images attach