Do Suns blow it up?

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Do Suns blow it up? I dont want to be prisoner of moment but its a prevailing thiught for me today. Suns have very limited flexibility and chances are next seasons roster not going to be as good. Best case scenario they get an average point guard and new coach. More likely scenario is they dont win next year/stay healthy and then no picks until 2030. I hate to admit it but Book soft, not a leader, never did anything without CP3. Durant aging and also lacks leadership. Maybe Suns keep Beal because no trade clause isnt going to yield much and they can win some games building around him.

Biggest problem with blow up is wont have their own picks so no incentive to be bad…

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
I say something major has to happen. You have 2 bigs who can’t hit an easy 4 foot shot or cover mobile forwards/centers. No pg. you have Booker who is easily stiffled by physicial defenders. You have Beal who at most would be a solid bench player on most teams and an aging KD. You have unreliable 3 point shooting and weak defense and poor rebounding. You are tying up 150 million bucks on 3 players and don’t have one superstar to show for it and no picks. At least one of big 3 has to go. And get two quality players in return. That is a start. I don’t care anymore who stays. I have no vested interest in any player on this team. I used to love Booker but that ship has sailed. Keep GA maybe. Keep Bol. Maybe whoever is new coach can work with him. Lowest I have been on suns since late 80s.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only Suns player who has much value is Booker. If the team looks to blow it up, I think they look this direction.

This was predictable if the Durant trade blew up in their face.

OP
OP
N

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I say something major has to happen. You have 2 bigs who can’t hit an easy 4 foot shot or cover mobile forwards/centers. No pg. you have Booker who is easily stiffled by physicial defenders. You have Beal who at most would be a solid bench player on most teams and an aging KD. You have unreliable 3 point shooting and weak defense and poor rebounding. You are tying up 150 million bucks on 3 players and don’t have one superstar to show for it and no picks. At least one of big 3 has to go. And get two quality players in return. That is a start. I don’t care anymore who stays. I have no vested interest in any player on this team. I used to love Booker but that ship has sailed. Keep GA maybe. Keep Bol. Maybe whoever is new coach can work with him. Lowest I have been on suns since late 80s.
Agreed

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need to. There is no building a team around Booker as your best player. We would have to get a #1 tier player or there is no point. We should blow it up and move Book while he is at peak value. It sucks to have to start over again but we need the assets. I could hope for a miracle that this front office pulls off some trade we had never seen coming but my faith in this front office, coaching staff has bottomed out.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We aren't going to blow it up simply because we can't. The 2nd apron ties our hands.

The biggest move we will make this offseason is getting rid of the coaching staff. That's it.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We aren't going to blow it up simply because we can't. The 2nd apron ties our hands.

The biggest move we will make this offseason is getting rid of the coaching staff. That's it.

Yep.

Even if we wanted to trade KD it is hard to find a destination that can take on his contract and is a contender. We can't trade him to anyone over the 2nd apron, any non-2nd apron team would have a hard time getting the salaries to work without gutting their roster, he won't have any interest in going to a rebuilding team (and those teams wouldn't want him anyway).

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

I'm still holding out hope they'll deep six Jones, too. At least get us a FO person who will be able to put in place some kind of structure for the future, instead of the smug Jones, who just looks for the cheapest and easiest ways to pretend to be doing his job.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

KD is movable because every team has big enough contracts to match but blowing up everything is probably too hard. It would kind of be a retool/rebuild. If Booker gets traded it’s down the road.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still holding out hope they'll deep six Jones, too. At least get us a FO person who will be able to put in place some kind of structure for the future, instead of the smug Jones, who just looks for the cheapest and easiest ways to pretend to be doing his job.

I don't think James Jones and Frank Vogel fit when the Suns add a G-League team.

Jones doesn't like to develop players and Vogel doesn't like to play the bench. Something has to give.

OP
OP
N

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not sure why so much James Jones talk here, we dont know if its him or ishbia that pulled the strings on most these deals. To be honest, i think the roster is as good as it could have been around the 3 guys, given what they had to work with:
Nurk + grayson major steal over DA
Royce was a plus
Bol a plus

Not saying i know what the problem is but i tend to look more to players/coaching rather than GM here. Cant blame JJ for the beal and durant trade, we know thats matty ish…

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Not sure why so much James Jones talk here, we dont know if its him or ishbia that pulled the strings on most these deals. To be honest, i think the roster is as good as it could have been around the 3 guys, given what they had to work with:
Royce was a plus
Bol a plus

Not saying i know what the problem is but i tend to look more to players/coaching rather than GM here. Cant blame JJ for the beal and durant trade, we know thats matty ish…

I don’t hold JJ responsible for the KD thing but it doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things. There’s no reason for him to be part of this franchise going forward. The Jalen Smith pick was a fireable offense whether they had Halliburton’s medicals or not.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Royce was a plus
Bol a plus

The roster needs to be rebuilt outside of the big 3, I don't come close to trusting James Jones to do it anymore.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
If we want to win a championship, we need to get younger, bigger, tougher, both physically and mentally, and more athletic. We are a long way off and it's difficult to imagine how this happens without shipping out Booker.

To make things more difficult, we also need a #1, since we have confirmed Booker isn't the guy.

What is going to happen will likely depend on who is responsible for this mess, specifically the KD trade. If Ishba was the driving force behind the trade they will probably run this squad another season with new coach and possibly GM. If JJ and crew pressured Ishba to trade for KD, I'd expect a complete rebuild.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’m not down on JJ before him this place was a joke. Without him, no Paul, Durant, or Beal. Some say that’s the problem the trade. This was going nowhere with that old team. New coach and better back up center

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I’m not down on JJ before him this place was a joke. Without him, no Paul, Durant, or Beal. Some say that’s the problem the trade. This was going nowhere with that old team. New coach and better back up center
Time's change. The one thing besides Booker that was a constant from those other teams is James Jones. Book isn't getting traded, but we need new blood in the front office.

Especially with a G-League team coming, we can't have a GM that doesn't care about young players.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison