2024 NBA Draft talk: Suns own pick 22

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
McCullar would be a terrible pick. He's redundant with about four other guys currently on the roster (five, if Gordon somehow returns). Also, his athleticism is suspect and he's an old rookie... which is obviously the attraction for James Jones. So yeah, it would be a highly questionable pick, but you can see why they slot him to Jones and the Suns.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McCullar would be a terrible pick. He's redundant with about four other guys currently on the roster (five, if Gordon somehow returns). Also, his athleticism is suspect and he's an old rookie... which is obviously the attraction for James Jones. So yeah, it would be a highly questionable pick, but you can see why they slot him to Jones and the Suns.

We probably should take an old rookie. Not sure about McCullar but they need someone who can contribute right away. They don’t have the luxury to wait on a raw guy to develop.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
We probably should take an old rookie. Not sure about McCullar but they need someone who can contribute right away. They don’t have the luxury to wait on a raw guy to develop.
They had that in Camara but gave him away as throwin in the Ayton trade. :rolleyes:

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
The old rookie thing isn't so much the problem as Jones obsession with that over anything else, including talent or positional need.

The fact is Jones doesn't want younger players period, which is also likely why they tossed Camara to Portland last year and traded away just about every draft pick they could get away with for the next decade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The old rookie thing isn't so much the problem as Jones obsession with that over anything else, including talent or positional need.

The fact is Jones doesn't want younger players period, which is also likely why they tossed Camara to Portland last year and traded away just about every draft pick they could get away with for the next decade.

I tend to agree, but Cam Johnson was the outlier. I think James Jones really liked him.

Of course, I think he underestimated how far Monty would take the Suns 2020-21 team.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score

Camara proved in summer league plays that he understood the game very well on both sides and already an excellent all-around defender and great rebounder. Blazers would start him until injury showed that Bilups shared the assessment. Apparently JJ and Vogel shared the philosophy to only play guys with already high 3pt %, and didn't want to develop any young guys. Yet, their choices in that direction KBD, Watanabe, Goodwin or Metu turned out even less playable. That says enough about their vision.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The term lumbering comes to mind.
Yeah, he has some obvious limitations but if he's available at our pick and we pass, I'm going to be very unhappy. The only thing that is making me doubt Edey as an NBA player is him claiming to be working hard on his 3 point shot. The last thing I want is a minimally mobile giant spend ANY TIME on the perimeter.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That poor kid is going to have a complex the rest of his life. He will never live up to his dad or be the player everyone wants him to be.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Professionally, I don't think there are high expectations for Bronny other than Lebron wants to play with his son in his last season.

A team could easily draft Bronny in the 2nd round or sign him to a two-way contract and make it happen.

The question is would Lebron be satisfied with a lesser role for his son.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
pundits keep dunking on this draft but there's always a couple few hidden gems
True. But it’s the “hidden” part that’s the problem. For instance if the nugz really knew what jokic was they would have traded up to get him. So they’re just educated guesses. When it’s a bad draft the hidden gems are fewer to find and more effectively hidden. Which in turn makes it more akin to wild guesses than educated guesses.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
True. But it’s the “hidden” part that’s the problem. For instance if the nugz really knew what jokic was they would have traded up to get him. So they’re just educated guesses. When it’s a bad draft the hidden gems are fewer to find and more effectively hidden. Which in turn makes it more akin to wild guesses than educated guesses.
one of those drafts where a european player could end up blossoming in the nba - but who knows who am i right

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right. And sometimes it IS just a horrible draft. Check out these stinkers:

That 2013 draft was a blood bath. It had a couple surprises in Gobert and Giannis, but after those 2 it gets ugly fast. In the top 7 Oladipo is the only one who wasn't flat out terrible. Bennett is probably the worst #1 pick of all time.

I gotta imagine this draft, while probably not having the star power, will produce more guys who can at least contribute than in the 2000 and 2013 drafts churned out.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That 2013 draft was a blood bath. It had a couple surprises in Gobert and Giannis, but after those 2 it gets ugly fast. In the top 7 Oladipo is the only one who wasn't flat out terrible. Bennett is probably the worst #1 pick of all time.

I gotta imagine this draft, while probably not having the star power, will produce more guys who can at least contribute than in the 2000 and 2013 drafts churned out.
That would be the presumption heading into virtually any draft. But this one is considered a colossal stinker. I can’t recall a draft that’s been denigrated so far in advance of the draft as this one.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Professionally, I don't think there are high expectations for Bronny other than Lebron wants to play with his son in his last season.

A team could easily draft Bronny in the 2nd round or sign him to a two-way contract and make it happen.

The question is would Lebron be satisfied with a lesser role for his son.

at least they can retire together