Do Ayton's comments concern you?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NBA Success is getting to the second deal.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23854252/deandre-ayton-nba-success-getting-second-deal

Ayton's primary reason for signing with Puma, "to get bank."
https://www.azdesertswarm.com/baske...ley-contract-deal-endorsement-shoes-nba-draft

He seems to have a mercenary mentality completely. Devin Booker has shown a sense of loyalty to the Suns and it has paid off big-time. Ayton does not seem to have that same loyalty.

Do these comments cause you concern about Ayton's commitment to the game? I am not sure what to think at the moment.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23854252/deandre-ayton-nba-success-getting-second-deal

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/baske...ley-contract-deal-endorsement-shoes-nba-draft

He seems to have a mercenary mentality completely. Devin Booker has shown a sense of loyalty to the Suns and it has paid off big-time. Ayton does not seem to have that same loyalty.

Do these comments cause you concern about Ayton's commitment to the game? I am not sure what to think at the moment.

I don't want to read them, I don't want to add any concerns to my already long list of Ayton concerns. But, without reading them, I'd say yes. Because I've already heard him say things that concerned me and I believe I've mentioned them here too. I get the feeling from his words that he is only in it for the money. And when he asked another player how they stayed motivated after getting a payday, alarm bells rang.

And to be clear, I'm not writing him off. I'm just concerned.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't want to read them, I don't want to add any concerns to my already long list of Ayton concerns. But, without reading them, I'd say yes. Because I've already heard him say things that concerned me and I believe I've mentioned them here too. I get the feeling from his words that he is only in it for the money. And when he asked another player how they stayed motivated after getting a payday, alarm bells rang.

And to be clear, I'm not writing him off. I'm just concerned.
Its certainly something to watch. If it is really true, I would make a move sooner rather than later. I hope its not, but I would have a quick trigger finger on Ayton.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
To me that means he is going to be playing hard for that pay day. To me, not a concern yet. He was a model teammate in SL, even telling his team to look for their shot because he'll get his points one way or another and to not force the ball into him if it isn't there.

I think its key to have positive influences in his life to make sure he doesn't become a prima donna. Every kid coming into the NBA is doing it for the money, let's not kid ourselves. Ayton is just very transparent, as long as he works hard in order to get that big second contract then that means he should be motivated on the court, hungry even. That's what fans should hope for rather than a lazy kid who doesn't play hard and feels entitled to everything, we have one of those already on the roster (Chriss).

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i don't see anything concerning in Ayton's comments.
he didn't say anything any other player is thinking, or might say if asked directly.
also, anything he did say about money or business in no way implies a lack of motivation to win
or be loyal to his team.
not coming from wealth, it is understandable that he is drawn to it.
in fact, it's probably best that he gets "bank" up front so that he can concentrate on ball

personally, i hate the size of nba salaries, the cost of tickets and shoes,
and all the rest of the related materialism that is out of sync with income inequality in America
but a rookie excited about becoming rich tells me nothing about his bball mentality or career potential

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
How long have the Suns sucked?

And none of that was Ayton's fault. It's possible that the Suns may suck for 10 more years no matter how hard he plays. Devin Booker has been here playing hard, training hard for how long?

The big thing that concerns me with these young players is not taking personal responsibility. When they start blaming everybody else for their poor play or team losses that's a problem. As long as they're working hard and trying to get better every day there's no problem.

When you play for a league doormat you have to set personal goals. They are the only ones you have control over.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's a big year for Chriss and I think he will have a great year. Now about that second contract with him?

Chriss's opportunity for a great year was last year when he could of had all the playing time he could handle as long as he wasn't stinking up the place, but he too often was.

to have a good year, he has to show he can be an effective role player off the bench. i'd only give him a few more months to show his new coach he can add new dimensions to his game, especially on the defensive end!

Last edited:

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He missed out on $100k, of course he's hungry for that paper :D

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And none of that was Ayton's fault. It's possible that the Suns may suck for 10 more years no matter how hard he plays. Devin Booker has been here playing hard, training hard for how long?

The big thing that concerns me with these young players is not taking personal responsibility. When they start blaming everybody else for their poor play or team losses that's a problem. As long as they're working hard and trying to get better every day there's no problem.

When you play for a league doormat you have to set personal goals. They are the only ones you have control over.

I'm not blaming him or writing him off. But I've been following this game since before the Phoenix Suns came into the league and Jerome James and Rony Seikaly are the only players I can think of to make similar type comments. It means very little...unless it means everything. With Rony and Jerome, it meant everything.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not blaming him or writing him off. But I've been following this game since before the Phoenix Suns came into the league and Jerome James and Rony Seikaly are the only players I can think of to make similar type comments. It means very little...unless it means everything. With Rony and Jerome, it meant everything.
I also take his comments to mean he wants to be a success. From his meager upbringing in the Bahamas and his desire to be the superstar for the people of the Bahamas to look up to. He obviously has to work his butt off to overtake Timmy D and all the success he had.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

What Ayton said is the reality of pro sports. Whether he says it or not isn't going to change it. Everyone knows it! Booker has already stated he doesn't want to play for a team that is not constructed to make the playoffs.

Hopefully, Ayton's ambition to do well is going to be matched by the Suns ability to be just as conscientious in the team's goals (following eight years of futility).

It is up to the Suns to raise their level of professionalism, not only for Ayton and Booker, but for the fans. If they can't, of course he'll want to go elsewhere for his next contract.

I think this goes way beyond Ayton's status. He is trying to motivate the Suns front office to shape up. A man after my own heart! Ayton has a lot better chance of achieving that than any sportswriter or ASFN poster.

Go DBook. Go Ayton. And hopefully, go Suns. :suns:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
When did they say that? Before they played an NBA game?

So tired of people expecting Ayton to be a grizzled veteran already. And already passing judgement that his attitude is bad, or he'll never be more than a serviceable center, blah, blah, blah. Not saying you are, just generalizing, mostly about national media, but certainly with some Suns fans as well.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They didn't say "that", and I didn't say they said "that". I said similar but I'm talking about more than just the words. Rony supposedly admitted that he didn't play for the playoffs because he wasn't really getting paid for the extra time. Jerome said something like "I don't need to do anything now, I earned my big payday in high school". Seikaly, supposedly, would coast during the playoff stretch and James mailed it in after his big payday.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is so ridiculous. I mean I really hate to burst your bubble but the reality is EVERYONE IS OUT FOR MONEY.

Players aren't loyal just as teams aren't loyal to players. Did you see what the Celtics did to IT? How bout Toronto to Derozan.

Loyalty and sports do not go together don't kid yourself

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton's comments did not bother me.

He signed for a shoe company that will sell affordable shoes in his home country and he is going to have to work hard to get a substantial second contract.

I think Ayton is more open than most players and he will take some time getting used too.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

So tired of people expecting Ayton to be a grizzled veteran already. And already passing judgement that his attitude is bad, or he'll never be more than a serviceable center, blah, blah, blah. Not saying you are, just generalizing, mostly about national media, but certainly with some Suns fans as well.
Doesnt concern you at all then? OK. Just wondered.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is so ridiculous. I mean I really hate to burst your bubble but the reality is EVERYONE IS OUT FOR MONEY.

Players aren't loyal just as teams aren't loyal to players. Did you see what the Celtics did to IT? How bout Toronto to Derozan.

Loyalty and sports do not go together don't kid yourself
OK. Its not ridiculous. It doesn't concern you, I assume that is your answer. I asked the question. Just answer it if you want. We're just talking here. Its August.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I had missed this about Ayton. Its from an ESPN story around the time of the draft.

In 2014, Roy Williams took his North Carolina squad to Paradise Island, Bahamas, for an exhibition tour that preceded a Sweet 16 run that season.

Ayton, then just 14 years old, scored 17 points and grabbed 18 rebounds for the local Providence Storm all-star squad that defeated UNC 84-83.

"They were more aggressive than we were, and they made plays down the stretch," Williams said then.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...eshman-deandre-ayton-not-afraid-do-big-things

DeAndre Ayton put up 17 and 18 as a 14 year old against UNC?! In a win?! It was just a exhibition game but good grief.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hadn’t seen THAT! When and where was that one? That one concerns me.

It might take me a few days to find it. I watched it on one of the draft shows and mentioned it here when I first saw it but right now I can't even remember which veteran was involved.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might take me a few days to find it. I watched it on one of the draft shows and mentioned it here when I first saw it but right now I can't even remember which veteran was involved.

Steve, you sure you're remembering that right? i feel like this board would have EXPLODED if a quote like that existed. Even I would have been slamming his ass and wondering if we should pick someone else if I heard that jaw-dropper.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve, you sure you're remembering that right? i feel like this board would have EXPLODED if a quote like that existed. Even I would have been slamming his ass and wondering if we should pick someone else if I heard that jaw-dropper.

I'm really struggling with memory issues but I brought it up here shortly after the interview. It drew very little interest and no concerns from fellow board members. And I promise, it's as close to a quote as you can get without actually quoting. My semi-quote lacks context so maybe you wouldn't view it quite the way I did but it's accurate nonetheless.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was partially wrong on the Ayton quote. I didn't see it on a draft show, it was actually prior to the draft in the CJ Mccollum interview that someone linked to on this site. My post about it was in the draft thread (The Suns with the 2018 overall #1 pick select...). Hopefully someone can again provide the Mccollum link but here's my text from post #1761 in a response to a cheesebeef comment:

There's another comment that also raises my concern level over him. It was in that players interview that someone linked here a few days ago. Near the end of the interview, CJ turned it over to Ayton to ask his own questions. Deandre then asked Mccollum how he stayed motivated once he got his money.

From comments he's made, I also worry that he is apparently devoted to video games. The more I read about Towns the more clearly it seems to me that his level of gaming obsession is interfering with his development and play. I'd hate to see Ayton go down the same way.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson