Disney bans smoking

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
There are a few things called artistic integrity and artistic license. Filmmakers being handcuffed doesn't bode well for that. What if this policy lights up across the industry to other studios?

It won't. This is a radical policy that won't trickle down.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Whatever. I simply don't like having morality dictated to me in such a minute manner, and I find it surprising that more people don't find it a sad practice. I'm all about Disney being a family-oriented company (actually, they're a money-oriented company, but whatever), but the idea that cutting smoking out of their films will cause ONE less kid from smoking is ********. Movies, one of the few mediums that are truly open and all-encompassing, shouldn't have these petty restrictions. So it's their own company...does that mean I must like it?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Whatever. I simply don't like having morality dictated to me in such a minute manner, and I find it surprising that more people don't find it a sad practice. I'm all about Disney being a family-oriented company (actually, they're a money-oriented company, but whatever), but the idea that cutting smoking out of their films will cause ONE less kid from smoking is ********. Movies, one of the few mediums that are truly open and all-encompassing, shouldn't have these petty restrictions. So it's their own company...does that mean I must like it?

Of course not. But it does mean that people should understand why they are doing it, regardless of whether or not it will work (I don't think it will).

You have a choice to buy/see Disney product, just like they have the choice to dictate what they produce. I don't see the problem here. It's a bonehead "guideline", but they are certainly in their rights to proclaim it.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
the idea that cutting smoking out of their films will cause ONE less kid from smoking is ********.

Very true, but Disney probably won't allow retards in their movies either because they are just too unpleasant for children too see.

So it's their own company...does that mean I must like it?

Apparently we are just supposed to bend over and enjoy it. Thank you sir may I have another................

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm all about Disney being a family-oriented company (actually, they're a money-oriented company, but whatever),
Yes, they are a money-oriented company, and they make their money by selling family, "wholesome" entertainment.

but the idea that cutting smoking out of their films will cause ONE less kid from smoking is ********. Movies, one of the few mediums that are truly open and all-encompassing, shouldn't have these petty restrictions. So it's their own company...does that mean I must like it?
You don't have to like it, but you don't have to watch their movies, either.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Yes, they are a money-oriented company, and they make their money by selling family, "wholesome" entertainment.

One could argue obesity effects young children as much or moreso than cigarettes. Why aren't they removing Sodas and fatty foods from their films? Too many product placement deals with Coca Cola? if cigarettes should go then so should the stereotypical scenes of fat kids chomping on candy bars.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One could argue obesity effects young children as much or moreso than cigarettes. Why aren't they removing Sodas and fatty foods from their films? Too many product placement deals with Coca Cola? if cigarettes should go then so should the stereotypical scenes of fat kids chomping on candy bars.
Why? Smoking is a black-eye and has been for years. It's all about image, and eating candy bars and drinking sodas doesn't effect their image nearly as much as smoking.

Anyway, mostly my point is that it's their decision to make. If they want to remove the color pink from all their films, that's their prerogative.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
It's all about image, and eating candy bars and drinking sodas doesn't effect their image nearly as much as smoking.

You are assuming it is a decision based on image (which it probably is). But the press release posted here doesn't give a specific reason - though it is implied it was a decision based on the best interest of children.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a few things called artistic integrity and artistic license. Filmmakers being handcuffed doesn't bode well for that. What if this policy lights up across the industry to other studios?

Since when do studios care about that? Films are constantly being raped of the original writers views by directors, producers and even actors who loved to ad lib. Nobody is being handcuffed here. It's Disney's policy. If you don't like it go shop it to another studio. However, that's not going to happen because I seriously doubt that any writers vision hinges on a smoking scene let alone would compromise their vision over one thing.

This is self censorship not industry censorship. Big difference.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn