Did the Suns release Goodwin?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You did get it. It's like a bad knock knock joke.
Hey, I have a great Knock Knock joke. Start it out ...

"Knock Knock"
"Who's There?"
"..............uh"

Try it on someone. Watch their reaction. :)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still believe Archie Goodwin has a future in the NBA, maybe not with the Suns but somewhere. He still needs to find his niche. Archie has tremendous athleticism and he is still only 23.

His stats are not as terrible as some would believe.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/goodwar01.html

They're pretty terrible. If you're a point guard and you cannot pass (a stunning 206 assists vs 206 turnovers in his career), you cannot shoot (a career 23% shooter from the outside) and you're a putrid defender... how do you make it in this league?

His baseline stats are bad, his metric stats are absolutely wretched. Personally, I'd be surprised if he logged another 200 more minutes in his entire NBA career... and I wouldn't be surprised if he never logged another minute in real competition again. The more you scroll down that page the worse the numbers are. He is a below 30% shooter from beyond THREE FEET for his career.

He is destined to put up 35 on 30 shots in China.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He'll probably get another 10 day contract from someone, this year and maybe next also, but I'd be surprised to see more than that from him. He simply hasn't improved since he's been drafted and that is on him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're pretty terrible. If you're a point guard and you cannot pass (a stunning 206 assists vs 206 turnovers in his career), you cannot shoot (a career 23% shooter from the outside) and you're a putrid defender... how do you make it in this league?

His baseline stats are bad, his metric stats are absolutely wretched. Personally, I'd be surprised if he logged another 200 more minutes in his entire NBA career... and I wouldn't be surprised if he never logged another minute in real competition again. The more you scroll down that page the worse the numbers are. He is a below 30% shooter from beyond THREE FEET for his career.

We can agree, Archie is not a PG. He will have to find another role if he is going to make it in the NBA.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We can agree, Archie is not a PG. He will have to find another role if he is going to make it in the NBA.

What role do you envision he'll play because he can't pass and he can't shoot. He's not a good defender either. So there really isn't much for him left to do at his size.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What role do you envision he'll play because he can't pass and he can't shoot. He's not a good defender either. So there really isn't much for him left to do at his size.

This is a good question and I do not have the answer.

However, I've watched a lot of NBA prospects over the years fail but something about Archie still intrigues me. For example, I quickly gave up on Kendall Marshall and Tyler Ennis and never looked back.

Archie knows how to score but he needs to play good defense and develop some form of an outside shot to make it. I guess as long as Archie puts in the work, I will keep up the hope. Perhaps playing in China or overseas might help him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is a good question and I do not have the answer.

However, I've watched a lot of NBA prospects over the years fail but something about Archie still intrigues me. For example, I quickly gave up on Kendall Marshall and Tyler Ennis and never looked back.

Archie knows how to score but he needs to play good defense and develop some form of an outside shot to make it. I guess as long as Archie puts in the work, I will keep up the hope. Perhaps playing in China or overseas might help him.
He was drafted in 2013. How long before you finally admit he's a bust?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He was drafted in 2013. How long before you finally admit he's a bust?

I don't think he's a bust but that's only because he was selected 29th overall. Not much is expected of players drafted that late anyways so he's just a never was.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

Other than that, he's pretty good. How about that athleticism?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh man, I missed his return to NAZ. He's like a 4A player in baseball. Too good for AAA but not good enough for the majors. It's a shame I really liked him and had high hopes for him. His only hope now is to develop a 3 pointer and become a 3D guy or go tear up Europe.