Did the Suns release Goodwin?

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
You shouldn't compare him to ex-suns that were rotation players. Better comparison is Earl Clark, Alando Tucker, Tyler Ennis, Kendall Marshall, Casey Jacobsen.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Of course, I'm just on a cynical bent at the moment pointing out where and when we've gone wrong over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Of course, I'm just on a cynical bent at the moment pointing out where and when we've gone wrong over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We haven't gone wrong with Goodwin. He can talk about improving his defense all he wants. Where was that in the years he was in Phoenix? The guy was a waste of a roster spot.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I think player development in Phoenix leaves something to be desired. Off course not everyone pans out but I think we should have done better with Len and Goodwin.

It takes two to tango. Team must give instructions and consistent playing time so we don't waste opportunities.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think player development in Phoenix leaves something to be desired. Off course not everyone pans out but I think we should have done better with Len and Goodwin.

It takes two to tango. Team must give instructions and consistent playing time so we don't waste opportunities.
Len is light years better than Goodwin and it's not even close.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

^this. Guys like IT, Dragic, Lopez, Marcus Morris, etc have all left Phoenix and had career years after. It can't just be a coincidence. I don't like Len now and I don't think he'll amount to much if he stays here but I can see him turning out to be pretty good elsewhere with the right people to develop him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
^this. Guys like IT, Dragic, Lopez, Marcus Morris, etc have all left Phoenix and had career years after. It can't just be a coincidence. I don't like Len now and I don't think he'll amount to much if he stays here but I can see him turning out to be pretty good elsewhere with the right people to develop him.
Marcus Morris was crap before he came to Phoenix, so if anything, it's the opposite. We made Marcus the player he is today -- even if that player is now one of the worst in the league.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I doubt Pop would have turned Goodwin into a good player (at least up to this point). Goodwin still has a chance, but he has to mature as a person.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Marcus Morris was crap before he came to Phoenix, so if anything, it's the opposite. We made Marcus the player he is today -- even if that player is now one of the worst in the league.
Yeah except he's not. He's a solid starting SF in the NBA averaging 15 and 5 on decent efficiency and above average PER of 16 during his time with the Pistons.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's certainly got the right attitude to try and make this work.

Disagree. I don't see humility in that quote. He thinks he is a play maker on offense and that if he steps up on defense he'd be a two way threat... that is a load. The dude has one move "charge recklessly at the rim and pray for a call", he is a terrible passer and has zero range. What he needs to do is learn how to shoot, but IMO he thinks he is already pretty good at that. He is out of touch with reality.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An update on Archie Goodwin. He now plays for Charlotte’s D-League team in Greensboro, N.C. per Paul Coro at azcentral.

I'm thinking this is not what his agent had planned. Hope he gets another opportunity.

This is what was said when the Suns waived him.

“We told Archie Goodwin and his agent at the end of last season that if there wasn’t going to be an opportunity for him to play going into the last year of his deal, that we would try to help him get to a good spot,” McDonough said. “We explored some trade scenarios throughout the summer and into the fall. We tried to help him get elsewhere in a trade.“

Unable to fulfill a trade request from the Goodwin camp, the Suns waived the 22-year-old with Jenkins sliding into the role of third-string off-guard behind Devin Booker and Leandro Barbosa.

It's from a Paul Coro article dated 10-24-16.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...-fall-new-orleans-pelicans-overtime/95322176/

Errntknght

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if Archie has learned anything down in the D-league. His stats aren't impressive compared to his shorts stints down there when he was with us, but maybe he's started to play defense

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Did he get any playing time when they beat us just now?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes he had more points than all but two of our players.

You are correct.

Archie's stat line is pretty good with 12 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists and 0 turnovers in 8 minutes.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I thought Archie might stick with the Pels because his stats were good in his 29 mins of PT: 2/5 FG 1/2 3pt, 8/8 FTs, 1 asst, 0 TO, 1 blk, 1PF, 0 reb. Glad he's getting another shot with Nets. He needed a good jolt and a change of scenery.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Archie might stick with the Pels because his stats were good in his 29 mins of PT: 2/5 FG 1/2 3pt, 8/8 FTs, 1 asst, 0 TO, 1 blk, 1PF, 0 reb. Glad he's getting another shot with Nets. He needed a good jolt and a change of scenery.

I'm still thinking he makes it to another level whatever it may be.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Archie is continuing to look good (stats wise, at least) with the Nets. We knew he could score and he's doing well there so far. What surprised me the most is that his turn overs are less than half his rate here and his assists are up. Fouls are a third of his foul rate here. FG% over .500, FT% at .867 3P% .300. Block rate doubled. Overall offensive efficiency is the highest of any SG. Sample size is 158 minutes so it's all not highly significant but it does suggest he might be an average SG or better. 3P% will be a sore point if he can't push that up to .360 or so.

Mainstreet will not be too surprised. I thought he needed a change of scenery and some time in the D-league for shock value if nothing else but I have to admit I thought he'd likely wind up a star overseas, without being able to quite cut it in the NBA. It's not decided yet, of course, but if he can keep his head on straight he might well make it yet.

Chances are we are going to see what Len can do on another team... it will be quite telling about our player development if he and Archie both bloom elsewhere. I didn't agree with their handling of either player, though of course I was guessing since most of it is out of sight for fans.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Archie is continuing to look good (stats wise, at least) with the Nets. We knew he could score and he's doing well there so far. What surprised me the most is that his turn overs are less than half his rate here and his assists are up. Fouls are a third of his foul rate here. FG% over .500, FT% at .867 3P% .300. Block rate doubled. Overall offensive efficiency is the highest of any SG. Sample size is 158 minutes so it's all not highly significant but it does suggest he might be an average SG or better. 3P% will be a sore point if he can't push that up to .360 or so.

Mainstreet will not be too surprised. I thought he needed a change of scenery and some time in the D-league for shock value if nothing else but I have to admit I thought he'd likely wind up a star overseas, without being able to quite cut it in the NBA. It's not decided yet, of course, but if he can keep his head on straight he might well make it yet.

Chances are we are going to see what Len can do on another team... it will be quite telling about our player development if he and Archie both bloom elsewhere. I didn't agree with their handling of either player, though of course I was guessing since most of it is out of sight for fans.

The Nets are barely an NBA team right now though. I'm glad that Archie is doing well but it's such a small sample size right now. If he continues to play this well next year then maybe it's not a fluke but Brooklyn has one of the worst rosters in the league.