Did the Suns release Goodwin?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yup

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He should get picked up pretty quickly. Best of luck to him.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
figure he coulda been an asset in a trade at some point..

he was a team FOE guy with the morris twins.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
figure he coulda been an asset in a trade at some point..

he was a team FOE guy with the morris twins.
Hoopshype says the were trying to trade him, but just could not get anything done, so they waived him. They probably are counting on someone claiming him and thus dumping his cap #.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I am not a huge Archie fan, but it's really strange that he got released before the D-League players on the roster.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not a huge Archie fan, but it's really strange that he got released before the D-League players on the roster.

Archie was a d-league type of player too. Also, he is good enough that someone might claim him. If that happens the Suns save $2.1 million off their payroll and cap number. Releasing Jones Jr. doesn't do that. We will see if someone picks him up.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hoopshype says the were trying to trade him, but just could not get anything done, so they waived him. They probably are counting on someone claiming him and thus dumping his cap #.

I think some of this and some of what Slinslin said. The Suns are probably trying to save some money and also give Archie a chance to sign with another NBA team or play overseas. Archie was not going to get an opportunity to play with the Suns. However, he might have been used in a trade to make salaries work.

The puzzler for me was keeping John Jenkins who will make $1.05 million. Maybe I'm missing something but he never caught my eye. I like that the Suns kept Derrick Jones Jr. who has a chance to develop at the forward position. He has tremendous athletic talent.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pretty shocked that this happened. He showed flashes of more than any 3rd stringer out there. I wonder what happened behind the scenes.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Pretty shocked that this happened. He showed flashes of more than any 3rd stringer out there. I wonder what happened behind the scenes.

I imagine Archie triggered it by asking them trade him - and they got no takers... or could be he was just acting the malcontent. I think its the best thing for him at this juncture. He'll probably be a star someplace in the international scene.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
dang was always holding out hope he could be a good player. Just and inconsistent shot with great athletic ability.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think some of this and some of what Slinslin said. The Suns are probably trying to save some money and also give Archie a chance to sign with another NBA team or play overseas. Archie was not going to get an opportunity to play with the Suns. However, he might have been used in a trade to make salaries work.

The puzzler for me was keeping John Jenkins who will make $1.05 million. Maybe I'm missing something but he never caught my eye. I like that the Suns kept Derrick Jones Jr. who has a chance to develop at the forward position. He has tremendous athletic talent.

Jenkins has a solid shot, size, and is more of a traditional SG. I don't see him being a starter but he might be able to spell Booker for 10-15 minutes a game. Barbosa is capable of doing everything Archie does as far as driving to the basket and he can also shoot from outside. I think cutting Archie is good overall as it shows the Suns want their depth at Guard to be players proficient at one of the guard spots, not combo guards who don't have a defined position or skill set.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's been vocal for 2 years about expecting more PT and he was clearly going to get even less this year. I suspect this had as much to do with keeping him from being a distraction as his near total lack of development the last few seasons.

He has flash, he is the kind of guy who will dominate in China (or the D-League) where guys can't stay in front of him but there is no place in the NBA for a ball dominating guard who cannot shoot or pass.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Suns are John Jenkins dirty by continuing to delay his contract guarantee over and over again. He's working hard and by all accounts a good teammate and everything, Suns should go ahead and just guarantee his contract. His $1M salary isn't gonna make or break the team but it will give him some relief and reward for all his work through summer

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This seems to be the Suns reasoning in waiving Goodwin.

In the end, McDonough said they did not see a way Goodwin would play meaningful time in a fourth Suns season.

“We told Archie Goodwin and his agent at the end of last season that if there wasn’t going to be an opportunity for him to play going into the last year of his deal, that we would try to help him get to a good spot,” McDonough said. “We explored some trade scenarios throughout the summer and into the fall. We tried to help him get elsewhere in a trade.“

Unable to fulfill a trade request from the Goodwin camp, the Suns waived the 22-year-old with Jenkins sliding into the role of third-string off-guard behind Devin Booker and Leandro Barbosa.

I respect this decision from both sides.

From a Paul Coro article at azcentral on 10-24-16.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...kes-tough-phoenix-suns-roster-calls/92709208/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jenkins has a solid shot is more of a traditional SG. I don't see him being a starter but he might be able to spell Booker for 10-15 minutes a game. Barbosa is capable of doing everything Archie does as far as driving to the basket and he can also shoot from outside. I think cutting Archie is good overall as it shows the Suns want their depth at Guard to be players proficient at one of the guard spots, not combo guards who don't have a defined position or skill set.

We agree, John Jenkins fills the traditional off-guard role as a backup.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I think it is sad because Goodwin could have and still could develop into a great player but the Suns never allowed him to develop by playing on the court in actual games. You can only develop so much by just practice.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I agree slin. Sorry that it did not work out. Suns are not the best player developers. Given he was a hard worker one should think he was more improved by his fourth year. Playing time is not all of it. Good luck, Archie!

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think it is sad because Goodwin could have and still could develop into a great player but the Suns never allowed him to develop by playing on the court in actual games. You can only develop so much by just practice.
Oddly enough I disagree with you on this. Archie has shown very little improvement over the years to warrant extra playing time and he wasn't a lottery pick so the team had no extra pressure to let him fail on the court. Bottom line is the Suns' coaching staff has had ample time to see him play in practice and he never showed enough to force them to get him consistent minutes. The biggest problem ultimately is the fact that his jump shot hasn't improved even a little since he was drafted and he still tends to look lost on defense.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Archie simply is not an NBA player. Period. If he did ask to be traded, isn't it telling that there were no takers?

He had TONS of chances. He's even STARTED for us several times and still couldn't break into the rotation. You're living in a fantasy world if you think he's a "good" player. He has overseas written all over him.

OP
OP
devilalum

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Archie simply is not an NBA player. Period. If he did ask to be traded, isn't it telling that there were no takers?

He had TONS of chances. He's even STARTED for us several times and still couldn't break into the rotation. You're living in a fantasy world if you think he's a "good" player. He has overseas written all over him.

It would be nice if there was one GM out there that disagrees with you.