Devin Booker Max Extension Confirmed

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I usually agree with you but I'd have to give you a thumbs down for this. I'm not a Lebron fan but I think it's easy to demonstrate that he's had a greater impact on a greater number of people than any math teacher, banker, surgeon or police officer.
You lost me 200% here

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I usually agree with you but I'd have to give you a thumbs down for this. I'm not a Lebron fan but I think it's easy to demonstrate that he's had a greater impact on a greater number of people than any math teacher, banker, surgeon or police officer.
Have all of the millionaire basketball players and entertainers had a greater impact than all of the math teachers, bankers, surgeons and police officers? I think not!

ALERT -- political comment. With the middle class, who carry our country, unable to afford to send their kids to college and young adults unable to afford purchasing a house ...

And with the threat of nuclear attack prevalent ...

We have reached the point of "eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die". It's sad to witness it in our lifetime, but it is the price for the amazing instant success our country had 242 years ago as we went from newbie country to world leader. Too much, too soon! I believe there are many countries in the world, including our allies, who have felt, "See you on the way down."

So we pay millions and millions of dollars to ballplayers and entertainers to be entertained and take our minds off it.

OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I just don't get the athletes vs teachers and police officers argument. The two are not even remotely related. Athletes get paid simply because of supply and demand and the latter gets paid in large part by government funds.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I gotta think that is HEAVY HEAVY sarcasm.
Nope. I know you’re in the entertainment industry (as is my brother obviously) so maybe it’s difficult for you to understand (or want to understand) but in terms of societal importance and value the majority of us place greAter intrinsic value on those others than entertainers. If I have to choose to do away with all the teachers at my biys’ Schools or the NBA I get rid of the nba every day all day. Our consumer society has placed an inordinate amount of power in the hands of luxuries because it can and the luxuries could do so. I’m unsure it’s sustainabke.

As a society we could get over the loss of any entertainment but we could survive the loss of leadership, medicine, science, education.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I just don't get the athletes vs teachers and police officers argument. The two are not even remotely related. Athletes get paid simply because of supply and demand and the latter gets paid in large part by government funds.
Otherwise known as taxpayers' money. From a middle class, once the backbone of America, sinking into poverty levels.

The top income levels aren't paying their share. And those at the lowest economic brackets aren't either. It all falls on the middle class.

OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Otherwise known as taxpayers' money. From a middle class, once the backbone of America, sinking into poverty levels.

The top income levels aren't paying their share. And those at the lowest economic brackets aren't either. It all falls on the middle class.
I totally get that and yet I don't see the relation to the money that Booker just signed for. The money for each comes from two entirely different places. Booker making a $30m salary isn't the reason that teachers and police officers aren't making enough money.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Nope. I know you’re in the entertainment industry (as is my brother obviously) so maybe it’s difficult for you to understand (or want to understand) but in terms of societal importance and value the majority of us place greAter intrinsic value on those others than entertainers. If I have to choose to do away with all the teachers at my biys’ Schools or the NBA I get rid of the nba every day all day. Our consumer society has placed an inordinate amount of power in the hands of luxuries because it can and the luxuries could do so. I’m unsure it’s sustainabke.

As a society we could get over the loss of any entertainment but we could survive the loss of leadership, medicine, science, education.
What the f...

I didn't mean YOUR post was sarcasm, I meant STEVE'S post was sarcasm.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I totally get that and yet I don't see the relation to the money that Booker just signed for. The money for each comes from two entirely different places. Booker making a $30m salary isn't the reason that teachers and police officers aren't making enough money.
Uh yeah it does. Whether it flows through the government or directly from the consumer it comes from you and I. The governments money comes primarily from taxes. Those taxes are paid by us. There are different mechanisms obviously to how their salaries are determined, but if we as a society decided to reprioritize it could be accomplished. If we demanded more money be spent on the police force it would likely require either we redirect some governmental monies - or if we didn’t want to take from other governmental programs, an increase in taxes to cover the increased comp to the police force. The increase in taxes takes a bite out of our disposable income requiring us to make cuts in our spending. Logically nonessential spenditures (like entertainment or luxuries like dining out) should be cut first. That’s how the two are intertwined.

OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Uh yeah it does. Whether it flows through the government or directly from the consumer it comes from you and I. The governments money comes primarily from taxes. Those taxes are paid by us. There are different mechanisms obviously to how their salaries are determined, but if we as a society decided to reprioritize it could be accomplished. If we demanded more money be spent on the police force it would likely require either we redirect some governmental monies - or if we didn’t want to take from other governmental programs, an increase in taxes to cover the increased comp to the police force. The increase in taxes takes a bite out of our disposable income requiring us to make cuts in our spending. Logically nonessential spenditures (like entertainment or luxuries like dining out) should be cut first. That’s how the two are intertwined.
Except 100% of the revenue that the NBA is getting from us is money that we are willingly forking over to them. The fans have the ultimate control if they simply stop willingly giving away their money or stop watching and the NBA will lose it's money.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@AzStevenCal

My guess AzStevenCal is talking about Lebron being recognized worldwide and serving as a role model for millions whereas the individual services of a math teacher, banker, surgeon or police officer is much more limited.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
As I posted, sports and entertainment are necessary diversions from everyday life. But now, it is no longer just the superstars who are being paid obscene amounts. It includes marginal players.

The delicate balance of labor/management has gone too far in favor of employees in sports. Think about it. Millions and millions of dollars a year. 'Way out of control.

I understand that sports figures have a limited window for those salaries. I just feel that it has gone way too far.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Except 100% of the revenue that the NBA is getting from us is money that we are willingly forking over to them. The fans have the ultimate control if they simply stop willingly giving away their money or stop watching and the NBA will lose it's money.
Except for stadium tax money.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yes. So what’s your point? That doesn’t conflict with what I’m saying.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
@AzStevenCal

My guess AzStevenCal is talking about Lebron being recognized worldwide and serving as a role model for millions whereas the individual services of a math teacher, banker, surgeon or police officer is much more limited.
In overall scope, maybe, but not in real life impact. I’m sure some of his charitable giving is impactful (I’m assuming he does this, I don’t know) but serving as a role model? Eh, color me unimpressed on that ticket. At least in comparison to policemen, firefighters, social workers, surgeons . . .

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As I posted, sports and entertainment are necessary diversions from everyday life. But now, it is no longer just the superstars who are being paid obscene amounts. It includes marginal players.

The delicate balance of labor/management has gone too far in favor of employees in sports. Think about it. Millions and millions of dollars a year. 'Way out of control.

I understand that sports figures have a limited window for those salaries. I just feel that it has gone way too far.
I don’t think imbalance is between management and players because I don’t think the owners are deserving of even more obscene amounts of money. Rather I think it’s a societal imbalance. There are enough people with enough disposable income throwing it in the wrong directions (myself 100% included). That’s why I don’t think it’s sustainable. It’s pushing us in the direction of exalting the wrong people. It’s whats lead to the election of a celebr-ident instead of a president. Our priorities as a society are not in a good place, by and large.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well. I did not intend to start such a philosophical discussion. I do believe the math teacher is more important, but I also believe in the free market. So there it is.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well. I did not intend to start such a philosophical discussion. I do believe the math teacher is more important, but I also believe in the free market. So there it is.

Agreed. If teachers got paid even... 100k, then a helluva lot more people would be after that job. Sadly, teachers are paid so little that most of them are making a real sacrifice.

And if far more of the population were 6'7" with great leaping ability and good hands... then NBA players would make much less.

I once read that like 30% of people in the US over 7 feet tall have played in the NBA.

It's supply and demand.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed. If teachers got paid even... 100k, then a helluva lot more people would be after that job. Sadly, teachers are paid so little that most of them are making a real sacrifice.

And if far more of the population were 6'7" with great leaping ability and good hands... then NBA players would make much less.

I once read that like 30% of people in the US over 7 feet tall have played in the NBA.

It's supply and demand.
My daughter was a high school valedictorian and believe me, math people can make plenty of dough in other fields. She teaches for reasons other than money. Some people do what they do because they love it, not because of what it pays. I imagine there are some NBA players that would do it for very little play as well. Jared Dudley would probably play the game for 50K a year if he had to.

Affluent societies always overpay their entertainers. But they should not underpay other vital contributors.

Contentment is more important than anything else anyway. All my needs are met, and I am happy. My income is probably fairly average. I feel sorry for these guys who get paid millions and think they are getting slighted because someone else gets more. At some point more money just means more worries and more leeches.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My daughter was a high school valedictorian and believe me, math people can make plenty of dough in other fields. She teaches for reasons other than money. Some people do what they do because they love it, not because of what it pays. I imagine there are some NBA players that would do it for very little play as well. Jared Dudley would probably play the game for 50K a year if he had to.

Affluent societies always overpay their entertainers. But they should not underpay other vital contributors.

Contentment is more important than anything else anyway. All my needs are met, and I am happy. My income is probably fairly average. I feel sorry for these guys who get paid millions and think they are getting slighted because someone else gets more. At some point more money just means more worries and more leeches.
My mom was a principal, my sister is a high school math teacher. You're preaching to the choir.

At least the AZ teachers finally got a raise... what... to 48th highest paid state?

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In overall scope, maybe, but not in real life impact. I’m sure some of his charitable giving is impactful (I’m assuming he does this, I don’t know) but serving as a role model? Eh, color me unimpressed on that ticket. At least in comparison to policemen, firefighters, social workers, surgeons . . .

Yeah but none of them can shoot the three above 10%...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is the game when Sarver says he knew Booker would be a leader to build around.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson