Devin Booker Max Extension Confirmed

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker's demeanor is more impressive than his play right now, IMO. He doesn't carry himself like a 21 year old kid. It's not often a player can step into the role he has at such a young age, especially when they weren't originally being followed because everyone expected them to do great things at the next level. He was a 6th man on his Kentucky team and was the 13th pick in the draft. He wasn't heralded as the top guard in his draft class or hailed as being the top high school prospect when he went to Kentucky. He really just stepped up when the opportunity presented itself.

It still blows my mind that he's just 21. Let's hope he spends his whole career on the Suns and can lead us to the finals one day. Before that though let's hope he doesn't sit back content because he got a huge payday. I don't imagine that will be an issue with him though. He doesn't strike me as that sort of player. He seemed genuine when he talked about never missing the playoffs again when he spoke after the season ended. Adding Ayton will help him in our quest to get back to the postseason also. Things have fallen in place around him some and if he can play at an MVP level I think the playoffs are a possibility. I don't think it's likely but it wouldn't surprise me that much.

OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Booker's demeanor is more impressive than his play right now, IMO. He doesn't carry himself like a 21 year old kid. It's not often a player can step into the role he has at such a young age, especially when they weren't originally being followed because everyone expected them to do great things at the next level. He was a 6th man on his Kentucky team and was the 13th pick in the draft. He wasn't heralded as the top guard in his draft class or hailed as being the top high school prospect when he went to Kentucky. He really just stepped up when the opportunity presented itself.

It still blows my mind that he's just 21. Let's hope he spends his whole career on the Suns and can lead us to the finals one day. Before that though let's hope he doesn't sit back content because he got a huge payday. I don't imagine that will be an issue with him though. He doesn't strike me as that sort of player. He seemed genuine when he talked about never missing the playoffs again when he spoke after the season ended. Adding Ayton will help him in our quest to get back to the postseason also. Things have fallen in place around him some and if he can play at an MVP level I think the playoffs are a possibility. I don't think it's likely but it wouldn't surprise me that much.
I would be completely shocked if this happened. He just does not come across as someone that is going to just rest on his laurels.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be completely shocked if this happened. He just does not come across as someone that is going to just rest on his laurels.

Yeah, I don't question his work ethic or his will to win at all. My only real concern is health. He's already had a bunch of minor injuries that he's played through but his efficiency goes way down when he does.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found this interesting about Jokic's contract, which was close to a max deal apparently. It was reported it was the max like Booker's initially. Apparently Denver tied about $1 million a year in incentives that would be paid only if the Nuggets made the playoffs. $1 million a year isn't a lot in the larger scale of things, 5 years and $158 million, but it would have been interesting if anything like this were in place for Booker. I could see Booker's objection of those terms since the team has openly tanked twice in his 3 years here. If they did that again, they'd be messing with his money. So I can see the good and the bad but thought I'd post about it here.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This in no way says anything similar was on the table for Booker though, want to be clear about that.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw that Booker scoring list earlier. We need to light Orlando up this year.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is the game when Sarver says he knew Booker would be a leader to build around.

That was the game where Westbrook was about to break the triple-double record? If so, I watched that game, and yes I was impressed that Booker took the obvious attempt to get the record personally.

I think Booker will be able to easily transition from being a loser to being a winner.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think Booker will be able to easily transition from being a loser to being a winner.
Absolutely. Not just in skill, but in attitude. He told the Press that he does not want to continue playing for a team not in the playoffs.

Phoenix Suns fans owe a large amount of gratitude to Devin Booker.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If you click on the bottom right pic you can see some added muscle tone.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like Booker's putting in the work he said he would during his exit interview. When he told the press he was done with missing the playoffs that sounded like something you want your star player to say, especially when they're on the verge of a huge payday, but it's also something you want to see him accomplish and based on how good he looks physically, it appears he's doing his part to get in the best shape possible for next season.

Can't wait till October and we get some real games that matter. I don't think we'll be a playoff team but if Booker can make another leap like he's done between each season before then there's a possibility we could make the playoffs. I think we'll make some noise and get close but fall short unless we upgrade the PG position significantly or Knight plays out of his mind putting up something around 16 & 8 with 40% shooting from 3.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Among the things the make the most confident in Booker's future is that, almost to a man, when current stars who have been around him on team USA have said "he's next, that guy is going to be amazing".

I cannot wait to see what he does with real talent around him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also I like that Booker has some point guard skills to supplement his talent as a shooting guard. His versatility gives him even more of an opportunity to impact the game.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also I like that Booker has some point guard skills to supplement his talent as a shooting guard. His versatility gives him even more of an opportunity to impact the game.

That's important. That helped Harden go from being an All-Star to a Superstar, I think. He was on his way already but it helped speed up the process. Another player that did that was Joe Johnson with the Suns back in the day. He was used as a PG quite a bit in the season before we brought Nash back.