Detriot Lions defense has injury problems.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That IS career vs. career.

But it does no good for us to have a QB who did great for another team before us, or great for another team after us.

Does it do good for a QB to be poo for his team forever cause that is Stafford

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here are the 12 QBs that I'd take this season over Matt Stafford, without really thinking about it:

Patrick Mahomes
Phil Rivers
Deshaun Watson
Baker Mayfield
Ben Roethlisberger
Tom Brady
Dak Prescott
Carson Wentz
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Cam Newton
Russell Wilson

There were a bunch of guys like Matt Ryan, Lamar Jackson, and Kirk Cousins that I went back and forth on including. Would you rather have Matt Stafford or Jared Goff?
Off topic, but putting Matt Ryan in the same lane as Kirk Cousins & Lamar Jackson is really disrespectful to Matt. I think he’s still better than some of the guys you listed at the top like Watson, Baker, & definitely Prescott.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, my argument isn't this season. It's duration of career. Although, I can admit that with that said, I'm kinda skewing the argument, since we're talking about game 1 in this thread.

There's some guys on the list that surprise me a little (Dak, Wentz, Mayfield, maybe even Mahomes or Watson), but my argument has really just been that he's pretty darned good, especially compared to the career usage of any Arizona/Phoenix Cardinals QBs. Throughout the duration of his career, I don't know how to call him bad. I don't know how we could possibly say he's not considered in the top ten of the overall group that has played the position over the years he's been in the NFL, which is a very fluid thing.
Putting Watson, Wentz, & the MVP over Stafford surprises you??

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Not defending Stafford at all but does anyone really think Brady would have multiple SBs on any of these past Lions teams? We'd never know since he's never been away from Billicek so I guess my whole post is moot lol

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Putting Watson, Wentz, & the MVP over Stafford surprises you??
At the current moment, I wouldn't take Wentz or Watson over any proven commodity. Injury and question marks abound to me. I also refuse to believe any QB with so few games under their belt is anything yet.

Now, Mahomes is just because of personal philosophy, like above. Let's say people figure out his no-look pass, and he ends up crashing and burning... he only has the one year. I do think he'll be great.

All of these things change depending on my franchise, the guaranteed length I'll have the player, etc. if I were starting a new franchise today, of course I'd go younger.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Off topic, but putting Matt Ryan in the same lane as Kirk Cousins & Lamar Jackson is really disrespectful to Matt. I think he’s still better than some of the guys you listed at the top like Watson, Baker, & definitely Prescott.

I actually think that Matt Ryan is the best-case scenario for Stafford. He has a great supporting cast around him, but he’s probably made 20% less over his career.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There will be posters from here tailgating so they will tell you where they are and you can go visit a a bunch of them before the game, arrive early you'll have a blast
I will do that bro, love playing corn hole, I used to build & sell corn hole boards. I'm sure it will be hot as crap outside doing that tailgating though, gets plenty hot in Lexington, KY playing corn hole at the Kentucky football games so I can only imagine out there lol. I'm game for whatever though. I'll post on here when we get out there & monitor responses & other posts. Look forward to meeting some of you guys. We like to drink beer, listen to live music also. I'm so pumped for this game & to fly out there, it's so beautiful out there. Last time i was in Phoenix was 1994.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At the current moment, I wouldn't take Wentz or Watson over any proven commodity. Injury and question marks abound to me. I also refuse to believe any QB with so few games under their belt is anything yet.

Now, Mahomes is just because of personal philosophy, like above. Let's say people figure out his no-look pass, and he ends up crashing and burning... he only has the one year. I do think he'll be great.

All of these things change depending on my franchise, the guaranteed length I'll have the player, etc. if I were starting a new franchise today, of course I'd go younger.

Yeah, because Mahomes only skill is no'look passes. Your lack of QB knowledge and ability to assess their ability is amazing. Makes me feel very confident Murray will kill it this year.

Stafford has talent but hasn't shown he has the "it" factor. I wouldn't trade Warner's time with us for anything. Palmer over Stafford every single time without hesitation or reservation.

Yes we had horrible years with a bunch of lousy QB's but Warner and Palmer outweighed that crap over Stafford IMO.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yeah, because Mahomes only skill is no'look passes. Your lack of QB knowledge and ability to assess their ability is amazing. Makes me feel very confident Murray will kill it this year.

Stafford has talent but hasn't shown he has the "it" factor. I wouldn't trade Warner's time with us for anything. Palmer over Stafford every single time without hesitation or reservation.

Yes we had horrible years with a bunch of lousy QB's but Warner and Palmer outweighed that crap over Stafford IMO.
Oh, come on. I mentioned one facet of his game. I just refuse to give players with one great year the treatment of assuming they're great yet. Injury and other circumstances drop players off the face of the earth all the time.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
There's not much of a way to say that a 10 year starter who throws for over 4,000 yards almost every year isn't better than anything we've had in AZ. Especially given that his talent wasn't better than we had here. I'm not sure why this is a difficult argument. We'd be so lucky to have him. I'm not sure how this is finesse. Thinking he's worse is placing 5 playoff wins over everything else he outranks our QBs in.

I watch Stafford play a lot year to year. There's no doubt that there's some great QBs out there, like Brady, Wilson and Rodgers, who have a knack for winning games. But just because you're not engineering the perfect drive in the most clutch moment, does it mean you're a bad, or even mediocre QB. Most of those guys have superior coaching, or franchise management.

Stafford plays well enough not only to not lose his job, but not to be replaced. He's legit. Cousins and Dalton? Maybe, but the reality is that there aren't a lot of QBs that are genuinely superior for them to be overtaken by.

I tend to agree.... what you are saying is that having a legit franchise QB like stafford would have been better than bouncing up and down record wise due to having to find a QB over and over.
Back when we had Q, Stafford could have done a lot with that team.

with any luck.... the murry jock riders are correct and we now have that guy...once we get a taste of having a legit franchise guy for a long period maybe more fans will understand how that helps the team.

as much as I didnt like the selection...or the scenario that led to the selection.... I really hope the murray midget leads this team for the next fifteen years and has a miraculous career without ever having any serious injuries.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
now... back on topic.

detroit having a dinged up defense may just set the scenario where our offense can now keep up with theirs...
because we all know they are gonna move the ball on us.... but if we can exploit their weaknesses on defense we should move the ball at least as much as they do.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Forgot about the other 2 expansion franchises. So basically the Lions are the only non expansion team left that hasn't played in a SB.

Technically (as pointed out by Michael Bidwill the other day), the only 2 franchises that AREN'T expansion teams are the Cardinals and the Bears.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
with any luck.... the murry jock riders are correct and we now have that guy...once we get a taste of having a legit franchise guy for a long period maybe more fans will understand how that helps the team.

I'm pretty sure all of our Posters understand having a legit franchise QB helps a team, I know I do. What we disagree on is Stafford being a legit franchise QB. He has incredible arm talent but I don't think I would put him in the top half of starting QB's in the NFL.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I tend to agree.... what you are saying is that having a legit franchise QB like stafford would have been better than bouncing up and down record wise due to having to find a QB over and over.
Back when we had Q, Stafford could have done a lot with that team.

as much as I didnt like the selection...or the scenario that led to the selection.... I really hope the murray midget leads this team for the next fifteen years and has a miraculous career without ever having any serious injuries.
Yeah, I suppose that's my thing. I see a Stafford with a combo of Fitz and Anquan, or on that 2015 team with Fitz, Floyd, Brown, and DJ (plus a top ten defense), and I think his narrative is different.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure all of our Posters understand having a legit franchise QB helps a team, I know I do. What we disagree on is Stafford being a legit franchise QB. He has incredible arm talent but I don't think I would put him in the top half of starting QB's in the NFL.

I think he's USUALLY in the top half of starting QBs in the NFL, but he's NEVER in the top 5. In his 10 NFL seasons, he's had a QBR over 60 just three times. His similarity score comparisons are box score heroes like Tony Romo and Mark Brunell.

He's kind of like this generation's Drew Bledsoe. Someone is going to look at his career stats 10 years from now and ask if he belongs in the Hall of Fame.

He's been to the Pro Bowl once(?!).

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, I suppose that's my thing. I see a Stafford with a combo of Fitz and Anquan, or on that 2015 team with Fitz, Floyd, Brown, and DJ (plus a top ten defense), and I think his narrative is different.
He had Megatron & Tate with a top 5 defense consisting of Suh, Ansah, & Slay.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He had Megatron & Tate with a top 5 defense consisting of Suh, Ansah, & Slay.
And they went 11-5 that year. He had that once. Then the entire team was mismanaged, Megatron retired not long after, and Suh cuts out to Miami, destroying the defense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson