Detriot Lions defense has injury problems.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It was a 24-20 game. How well did Palmer play for us in the Championship game? Again, can't blame the guy for everything. And not every game is perfect.

Using Palmer might not really prove a point because one can cite team talent all day but all we know is that Palmer never won a championship and Stafford never won a championship. Amazing arm strength, a QB that can get on a run and tear you up but then you have the big game and they eventually become an enigma. It's tricky, take Marino for example. Then you have just hard luck (see Jim Kelly but would one really put Plamer and Stafford in his class) but in the end certain guys just have those intangibles and they overcome all kinds of junk in the way and still win

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And the cards have worse injuries no alford... no reddick no pp

I.soooo hope cards play a competitive gm and the def played like it did vikings gm minus the 85 yd lol

Going to be a close gm probably expecting the worse hoping for the best

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
It was a 24-20 game. How well did Palmer play for us in the Championship game? Again, can't blame the guy for everything. And not every game is perfect.

I wasn't being a wise guy or anything Solar7, it was an honest question.

So I looked it up.

He was 28 - 42 for 323. One TD, One Int. However, he also lost two fumbles.

In a close game like that? Three turnovers doomed his team man.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Technically (as pointed out by Michael Bidwill the other day), the only 2 franchises that AREN'T expansion teams are the Cardinals and the Bears.
Yes, the Cardinals are the oldest. Al Capone used to go to the Cardinals -vs- Bears games back in the late 20's & early 30's, biggest show in Chicago back then. The original NFL teams as I remember or back when i started watching it in 1976 i guess I should say? Even going back 6 yrs before that in 1970 when the AFL & NFL did the merger, the Lions are the only team left from that time that hasn't been to a SB.

Iron Lion

Reaction score
Hi all, lifelong Lions fan here. I tried to find the AZCardinals forums where I'd posted in the past but apparently it's been dissolved.

Anyway, I'm not here to talk trash. I've done it in the past to other teams, and I've seen it done on my Lions forums. But I'm done with that stuff.

Anyway, I did manage to read through this thread and I was intrigued at Solar7 being the lone guy sticking up for Stafford. Here are some other things I saw, in no particular order:

dude... a healthy Stafford came into our house late last year against one of the most atrocious teams I've ever seen and put up a whopping 10 points on offense and threw for 103 yards. That is the game that makes me think this is toss-up. We're not going to be good this year, but I don't think we're close to the all-time Cardinals atrocity from last year and the Lions are still the Lions and on the road.

False, Stafford was not healthy. He played that game with a broken back.

Well, Stafford's a really good QB compared to, like, me. But when you put him up against his peers among starting NFL quarterbacks, where does he land? Somewhere in the middle third, right? That's mediocrity.

The biggest problem with Stafford (but not for him) was that he was the last of the BIG bonus baby rookie QBs. The Lions have been tight against the cap from the moment he was drafted, and haven't been able to build anything around him unless a bunch of draft picks hit. If the Lions can get a draft class like the Saints did in 2017, they could jump back into contention. But his massive cap number has always hamstrung their ability to put a championship roster around him.

Sam Bradford was the last of Big Bonus rookies. Stafford was the year before him, and Matt Ryan was the year before that. The Falcons built a Super Bowl team around Ryan's contract so there's no excuse for my Lions.

Technically (as pointed out by Michael Bidwill the other day), the only 2 franchises that AREN'T expansion teams are the Cardinals and the Bears.

Uh... prior to the institution of divisions and a playoff format, anyone could have been an NFL team. Expansion refers to a reorganization of the divisions, even if it is as simple as a division taking on an extra team. The Detroit Lions started in 1930 as the Portsmouth Spartans. This was prior to the division format.

The Cardinals have gone to an NFC Championship game since Stafford has been there.

The Lions have done diddly poo in their entire existence.

Well... the Lions' entire existence is better than that of the Cardinals'.

Objectively speaking, this is the best scoring system for a franchise:

1. For every NFL Championship won, award the team a number of points equal to the amount of teams in the league that year.

2. Divide by the number of years the team has been in existence.

3. New teams get a grace period.

The Lions won it all in 1935, 1952, 1953, and 1957. That is (9+12+12+12)÷(2018-1930)=0.51.

The Cardinals won it all in 1925* and 1947. That is (20+10)÷(2018-1920)=0.31.

Yes, you guys get an asterisk from the 1925 NFL Championship. No, it's not because it was prior to the institution of a playoff system. Also, while I'm aware that the Cardinals pre-existed the NFL, we're only talking about NFL history here.

For comparison, the Patriots score a 3.67 (AFL teams are not held accountable for 1960-1965 as there was no way for them to be NFL champions prior to the AFL-NFL Championship game, AKA the Super Bowl).

I predict we will utterly dominate the Lions. Mark it down.

Noted.

We'll probably lose, that's for sure.

They have some nice pieces on the d line.

The Lions are notoriously terrible against rookie QBs in week 1. Have you forgotten what the Jets did to us last year on Monday Night Football last year? Actually, I hope you did forget...

I don't expect you guys to have detailed knowledge of the Lions, but nfl.com writers should, and this is pitiful. This is misinformation.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Welcome to the party, @Iron Lion. Most of my Stafford memories come from Fantasy Football, but yeah, I'm surprised at the wild amount of hate he gets here.

I think tiers of NFL quarterbacks can be broken into tiers of S, A, B, C, and Do Not Rank, haha. Stafford is at least a B for me. Maybe even an A.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Welcome to the party, @Iron Lion. Most of my Stafford memories come from Fantasy Football, but yeah, I'm surprised at the wild amount of hate he gets here.

I think tiers of NFL quarterbacks can be broken into tiers of S, A, B, C, and Do Not Rank, haha. Stafford is at least a B for me. Maybe even an A.
This explains everything.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This explains everything.
It's just the reason I have watched a lot of his games. It has no bearing on my judgement of QBs.

Like, Josh Allen was a player that was the top scorer in fantasy for five weeks last season, and I ended up in a position where I had to use him and watch him play. That doesn't mean I think Josh Allen is a good QB.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all, lifelong Lions fan here. I tried to find the AZCardinals forums where I'd posted in the past but apparently it's been dissolved.

Anyway, I'm not here to talk trash. I've done it in the past to other teams, and I've seen it done on my Lions forums. But I'm done with that stuff.

Anyway, I did manage to read through this thread and I was intrigued at Solar7 being the lone guy sticking up for Stafford. Here are some other things I saw, in no particular order:

False, Stafford was not healthy. He played that game with a broken back.

Sam Bradford was the last of Big Bonus rookies. Stafford was the year before him, and Matt Ryan was the year before that. The Falcons built a Super Bowl team around Ryan's contract so there's no excuse for my Lions.

Uh... prior to the institution of divisions and a playoff format, anyone could have been an NFL team. Expansion refers to a reorganization of the divisions, even if it is as simple as a division taking on an extra team. The Detroit Lions started in 1930 as the Portsmouth Spartans. This was prior to the division format.

Well... the Lions' entire existence is better than that of the Cardinals'.

Objectively speaking, this is the best scoring system for a franchise:

1. For every NFL Championship won, award the team a number of points equal to the amount of teams in the league that year.

2. Divide by the number of years the team has been in existence.

3. New teams get a grace period.

The Lions won it all in 1935, 1952, 1953, and 1957. That is (9+12+12+12)÷(2018-1930)=0.51.

The Cardinals won it all in 1925* and 1947. That is (20+10)÷(2018-1920)=0.31.

Yes, you guys get an asterisk from the 1925 NFL Championship. No, it's not because it was prior to the institution of a playoff system. Also, while I'm aware that the Cardinals pre-existed the NFL, we're only talking about NFL history here.

For comparison, the Patriots score a 3.67 (AFL teams are not held accountable for 1960-1965 as there was no way for them to be NFL champions prior to the AFL-NFL Championship game, AKA the Super Bowl).

Noted.

The Lions are notoriously terrible against rookie QBs in week 1. Have you forgotten what the Jets did to us last year on Monday Night Football last year? Actually, I hope you did forget...

I don't expect you guys to have detailed knowledge of the Lions, but nfl.com writers should, and this is pitiful. This is misinformation.

I like how you made up a mathematical equation to show that because you won some championships back when my grandpa was young, your franchise is relevant.

Iron Lion

Reaction score
I like how you made up a mathematical equation to show that because you won some championships back when my grandpa was young, your franchise is relevant.

What the Lions did is in the books forever. What isn't relevant is the age of your grandpa.

But yeah, neither of our teams are respected, if that's what you mean. Kinda silly to see either of our teams talking trash to the other, isn't it?

Edit: by the way, 1.00 would be average, and my Lions at 0.51 are below average. So I don't know why you're accusing me of saying that my franchise is respected historically. If today was June 1, 1958, then yes, my Lions would have a rich history.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What the Lions did is in the books forever. What isn't relevant is the age of your grandpa.

But yeah, neither of our teams are respected, if that's what you mean. Kinda silly to see either of our teams talking trash to the other, isn't it?

Edit: by the way, 1.00 would be average, and my Lions at 0.51 are below average. So I don't know why you're accusing me of saying that my franchise is respected historically. If today was June 1, 1958, then yes, my Lions would have a rich history.

The lions have not won a playoff game since 29 years ago but you make this math stat to try to show that your franchise is more prestigious than ours. I just found it funny.

I guess if you find those concrete books from the 50s that they chiseled these wins onto you could dust them off and put them on your mantle.

You started off saying you were here to talk football but then brought up this hilarious math game you are doing and ultimately, did it to talk trash so I'm just playing your game.

I could care less about our wins in the 1940s. We need some now. We have had playoff success, NFC championship games and a super bowl run in the last 15 years so I am content that we are no longer the franchise we once were.

Meanwhile, the lions....

Since 2000 we have played 14 times. We are up 9-5 on ya.

I'll be at the game with a bunch of my lion fan friends.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

No one cares post Super Bowl era.

The Lions have done diddly poo in the Super Bowl era.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The lions have not won a playoff game since 29 years ago but you make this math stat to try to show that your franchise is more prestigious than ours. I just found it funny.

I guess if you find those concrete books from the 50s that they chiseled these wins onto you could dust them off and put them on your mantle.

You started off saying you were here to talk football but then brought up this hilarious math game you are doing and ultimately, did it to talk trash so I'm just playing your game.

I could care less about our wins in the 1940s. We need some now. We have had playoff success, NFC championship games and a super bowl run in the last 15 years so I am content that we are no longer the franchise we once were.

Meanwhile, the lions....

Since 2000 we have played 14 times. We are up 9-5 on ya.

I'll be at the game with a bunch of my lion fan friends.

Exactly.

The Lions are a franchise you can easily forget because they are never in the hunt. Even the Cardinals have entered the hunt a few times.

Iron Lion

Reaction score
LOL, yes, I get it. Nobody cares about NFL history. As for the game coming up, I have no idea what to expect.