Deone Bucannon - Cardinals 1st round pick!

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well, Thesmel is against the pick, so I think it has a real chance of working out.

Personally, I was thinking it was a sign to take Manziel when he fell to us, but I don't dislike the pick with who was on the board at 27. I don't hate the trade in this year's draft, either. But, I do think that the Cards had other names they expected to still be there at 27.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reaction seems directly proportionate to whether one has seen him play. Those who have like the pick, those who haven't don't.

I have watched him play. He is the shine on a **** sandwich. Bad defense. Okay player. Not a difference maker. Guy you gamble on not on the first

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, Arizona and Jacksonville have both recently drafted a 6th round Quarterback. Except the Jags did it with the 10th overall pick.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Or you actually watched college football and not a (holy laugh my ass off cause you use a highlight film to evaluate people) YouTube video

Seeing as I bet a ton on college football yes I have to actually as opposed to you who read a website. He is a great player and light years better than drafting a Carr or Nix. Look who the pats took two picks after. Yet because they are the pats they know what they are doing. Give me a break they will be lucky to get 10 games out of him before he has his 3rd tear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Ugh. I know we want to put a positive spin on it, but to quote a Tucson newspaper on a defensive player is a huge stretch. Better than a a UA safety for sure, best in the PAC-12 maybe, NFL first round pick no way.

Solid second round pick, good third round pick. But I promise Keim was betting against himself. Too much emphasis on Kam Chancellor and Donte Whitner's film against us.

LOL did you actually read it. It was all the coaches in the PAC 12 talking about him in an out of market newspaper. And if you read what the coaches said its pretty impressive.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
The trade itself was bad value but the player is a solid 1st rounder and will be our SS for the next 5 years at least. Anyone who says he is a 3rd round talent should be banned on the basis of stupidity and ignorance.

OK not sure if you are serious or not, but I didn't see a single mock draft where Bucannon was picked in the first round. If you do please let me know.... I saw plenty where he was picked in the third round though.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014_3.php

I sure hope he exceeds expectations, but let's still admit it was a major need pick at the expense of plenty BPA picks still available.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Or you actually watched college football and not a (holy laugh my ass off cause you use a highlight film to evaluate people) YouTube video

As soon as the Cards drafted him I youtu bed his videos because I don't live if Pac12 territory. I'm not proclaiming him the next ADub, but I'm not blasting the team before he has a chance to prove himself either. By all accounts from the limited things that I have seen and read he seems like a good fit for the Cards. I'm not going to dismiss him before he takes one snap in the NFL though. I seriously don't get it around here.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I just read websites, I would be even more pissed about this pick

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't aware that Wazzu had any defensive players on scholarship.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh. I know we want to put a positive spin on it, but to quote a Tucson newspaper on a defensive player is a huge stretch. Better than a a UA safety for sure, best in the PAC-12 maybe, NFL first round pick no way.

Solid second round pick, good third round pick. But I promise Keim was betting against himself. Too much emphasis on Kam Chancellor and Donte Whitner's film against us.

If he's a solid second round pick I see no problem with grabbing him at 27. You can't count on a solid second round pick still being there when you draft at 52. I was hoping we'd trade into the start of the second round and he was one of the players I would have expected us to grab so I'm fine with it. It might cost us when the draft experts get around to grading the drafts in a few days but as we all know that has no relation to who wins the draft on the field.

Steve

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You'll be sorry you ever booed this young man - Cotton Fitzsimmons

A young hungry secondary.. sound familiar?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Seeing as I bet a ton on college football yes I have to actually as opposed to you who read a website. He is a great player and light years better than drafting a Carr or Nix. Look who the pats took two picks after. Yet because they are the pats they know what they are doing. Give me a break they will be lucky to get 10 games out of him before he has his 3rd tear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Exactly. I have watched him between 7-8 times and he stands out EVERY game. I saw many that liked him as the best overall safety in the draft. Size of Pryor with Dix type speed and range.

I gotta imagine if you are that upset abotu this pick you had someone else in mind? So throw it out there and make the case. My bet is guys available at 20 or 27 (other then maybe Manziel) wont be better players then Bucks.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As soon as the Cards drafted him I youtu bed his videos because I don't live if Pac12 territory. I'm not proclaiming him the next ADub, but I'm not blasting the team before he has a chance to prove himself either. By all accounts from the limited things that I have seen and read he seems like a good fit for the Cards. I'm not going to dismiss him before he takes one snap in the NFL though. I seriously don't get it around here.

Why? Every single pick every single year there are people around here who hate the pick, who love the pick, and most say, "I like what I read, I think he might be ok."

Totally normal behavior, and far from shocking. I bet if you trolled the boards tonight, you can find 31 out of 32 fan boards with the same discussions.

The exception? Cleveland, where I bet 98% of them are crapping their pants in joy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, Arizona and Jacksonville have both recently drafted a 6th round Quarterback. Except the Jags did it with the 10th overall pick.

Memories of Leinart being drafted #10 by the Cardinals.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

This sounds a lot like what people were saying after we drafted Calvin Pace.

People saying that Keim deserves the benefit of the doubt are right. I think it's silly to say that this pick can only be judged by the 3rd rounder in addition.

I'm fine with the trade down--the cards pretty clearly communicated that they did not want to pick at 20. This prospect isn't exciting. Even the ESPN guys couldn't muster a lot of enthusiasm for him. I'll be interested in hearing his "story".

Also, I went to grad school just down the road from Vacaville. Not exactly Oakland or Detroit.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted Ha Ha.

Was worried we were going to take Manziel so the trade was ok.

We ended up with a good starting caliber safety who can hit, cover and gives us a loaded secondary. I like the guy's speed but especially height.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think its an excellent choice. He will be a starter from day one and gives us a real tough defensive backfield. I had him going early 2nd round so I really don't see this as much of a reach. I remember watching him at the Combine. He was the top SS performer in the 40, the bench press, the vertical jump, the broad jump and the 3 cone drill.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm fine with the trade down--the cards pretty clearly communicated that they did not want to pick at 20. This prospect isn't exciting. Even the ESPN guys couldn't muster a lot of enthusiasm for him. I'll be interested in hearing his "story".

NFL Network crew liked the pick. Said he's natural at catching the pass and doesn't fight it. Good movement for such a big guy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he's a solid second round pick I see no problem with grabbing him at 27. You can't count on a solid second round pick still being there when you draft at 52. I was hoping we'd trade into the start of the second round and he was one of the players I would have expected us to grab so I'm fine with it. It might cost us when the draft experts get around to grading the drafts in a few days but as we all know that has no relation to who wins the draft on the field.

Steve

+1

The rest of the Cardinals draft is ultimately going to determine the quality of their draft down the road.

I wasn't looking for a franchise player at #20.