Deone Bucannon - Cardinals 1st round pick!

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think you are witnessing a value shift to the secondary and it was not worth the risk of someone else grabbing him before our #52. Based on the dollars Seattle just spent on their top two players in their top rated secondary I think we will be happy to have a kid like this especially when you consider we get his rookie contract for an additional year because of his R1 placement. Wonder if Van Noy is there at 52?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think its an excellent choice. He will be a starter from day one and gives us a real tough defensive backfield. I had him going early 2nd round so I really don't see this as much of a reach. I remember watching him at the Combine. He was the top SS performer in the 40, the bench press, the vertical jump, the broad jump and the 3 cone drill.

Agreed. Didn't know combine. Awesome.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If he's a solid second round pick I see no problem with grabbing him at 27. You can't count on a solid second round pick still being there when you draft at 52. I was hoping we'd trade into the start of the second round and he was one of the players I would have expected us to grab so I'm fine with it. It might cost us when the draft experts get around to grading the drafts in a few days but as we all know that has no relation to who wins the draft on the field.

Steve

Agree---not that many quality SS is this draft. He would have been long gone by our 2nd round pick. SS was a need and may have been the BPA in the Cards eval as well.

The sour grapes are part of having a 10 win season. We don't get our pick of the top five players. We were picking at the bottom of the round and the trade for an additional pick plus getting a SS looks pretty good.

MWOOD92

All Star
Reaction score
Pretty obvious to me that the Cardinals had their eyes set on Pryor. He got swooped up by the Jets so they traded back to get the next best guy (box safety) instead of taking him at 20. I'm sure Clinton-Dix will be good, but he wasn't the type of safety that BASK and Bowles were looking for.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
27th overall pick, I'm pretty good with it for sure. It's a solid pickup, plugs up one of the two holes on the defense and doesn't come with boom or bust like JF would, not to mention the spectre of "the savior" on the bench while a serviceable Palmer is on the field.

We get an extra 3rd rounder, and a safety that isn't as good as Ha Ha but might be a better fit from a size and thump perspective.

I completely give Keim the benefit of the doubt - he didn't see much difference between Ha Ha and Deone if he was willing to balance the extra third rounder and Deone against Ha Ha at 20. Never know if they would have hoped Ha Ha would fall, but I don't think they would think that at all.

And I'm pretty sure we snatched the Niners pick right from under their hands, causing them to panic pick.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
1. Of all the safeties in this draft, Buchanon was the best scheme fit.
2. It's not that likely he would have been there at 52 given that Ward went 30 when he was projected mid to late 2nd. Clearly the talking heads undervalued safety this year.
3. This guy had a better 40, bench, vertical, and broad jump than Pryor, Clinton-Dix, and Ward.
4. Think of what our secondary looks like next season with CBs Peterson and Cromartie, Safeties Matheiu and Buchanon, and good depth in Powers and Johnson. Let's not forget the SB champs have their top tier secondary to thank maybe more than anything else for their being SB champs.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Didn't know combine. Awesome.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Do you know who the #1 SS overall at the 2013 NFL combine was?

Shamarko Thomas. Drafted in rd 4 by the Steelers.

MWOOD92

All Star
Reaction score
And I'm pretty sure we snatched the Niners pick right from under their hands, causing them to panic pick.

This. Pretty sure they would have taken Bucannon instead of Ward had we let him pass.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
27th overall pick, I'm pretty good with it for sure. It's a solid pickup, plugs up one of the two holes on the defense and doesn't come with boom or bust like JF would, not to mention the spectre of "the savior" on the bench while a serviceable Palmer is on the field.

We get an extra 3rd rounder, and a safety that isn't as good as Ha Ha but might be a better fit from a size and thump perspective.

I completely give Keim the benefit of the doubt - he didn't see much difference between Ha Ha and Deone if he was willing to balance the extra third rounder and Deone against Ha Ha at 20. Never know if they would have hoped Ha Ha would fall, but I don't think they would think that at all.

Word up, it's the code word. No matter where you say it

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's depressing to realize that there are so many people posting on this board who seem to know so little about pro fb. And I'm not saying I know more than any of you, but I'd NEVER say that he's either great or terrible, because I'm not a scout. But for quite a while I've heard Curtis Conway sing his praises on Path to the Draft. I have a LOT of faith in SK, and I think that faith is well deserved. People who say he's terrible are just embarrassing your selves.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
All Dansby did was hang around in the middle while reading the play. He did it well though.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
LOL did you actually read it. It was all the coaches in the PAC 12 talking about him in an out of market newspaper. And if you read what the coaches said its pretty impressive.

Yes I read it and I have also been around this block before. Classy college coaches always talk up their opponents. They do not talk smack about their opponents. In case you haven't realized Todd Graham even talked up UA's BJ Denker before beating him by 5 touchdowns, also gave similar praise to Washington's Bishop Sankey before holding him to 22 yards on 13 carries. Perhaps you are mistaking common courtesy and respect for your opponent for NFL draft evaluation?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Well, he wouldn't have got past the 49ers, given their pick.

Thanks for letting us know that Carnac ;)

IMO in no way did the Cards draft the answer in covering TEs. In fact, I think the Niners drafted a safety whom that they know is the better safety in coverage. :p

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 266

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I know draft sites are often used for references by almost all of us on here. Can anybody find one that had Buchanon in the top 50, let alone top 30. I don't see how anyone can argue that it wasn't a total need pick.
CBS=51
National Football Post=89
Walterfootball=2nd-3rd rounder
Draftek= 53
found one Great Blue draft=49

Those are 5 respectable sites. I know their not the be all end all but they are good for reference.

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Deep draft, means the late round 1st into the third is solid... we have a extra third now and did draft for need with a pick that will actually fill the need :)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's depressing to realize that there are so many people posting on this board who seem to know so little about pro fb. And I'm not saying I know more than any of you, but I'd NEVER say that he's either great or terrible, because I'm not a scout. But for quite a while I've heard Curtis Conway sing his praises on Path to the Draft. I have a LOT of faith in SK, and I think that faith is well deserved. People who say he's terrible are just embarrassing your selves.

Let's not be over-dramatic.

As far as I have read, some people think he was drafted earlier than he could've been. equally offset by people saying he never would've been there by our second round pick and that is his a perfect fit for the defense.

I wish it was one of those books where you can choose different outcomes based on character decisions. It would be REALLY interesting to know who we would've taken at 20 if we had not traded. See, it's the trade that throws the wrench in it for me. But, if they truly would've taken him at 20 (as you can TAKE TO THE BANK Keim and Arians will say tomorrow) then the trade is kosh.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I know draft sites are often used for references by almost all of us on here. Can anybody find one that had Buchanon in the top 50, let alone top 30. I don't see how anyone can argue that it wasn't a total need pick.
I know I heard BA making fun of mocks drafting second and third rounders in the first. I know I heard Keim saying he wanted to draft back while still filling needs. I know I've been saying Kerry Rhodes could handle the assignments that Cro, Honey, and PP shouldn't have to. If he is plug and play, while also being an option to blitz, we scored.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just hope that some day I witness the Cards drafting an actual FRANCHISE QB.

Arians seems like the logical person to break the streak of horrible QB picks.

If any QB in this draft after Bortles turns out to be an All-Pro, it will haunt us forever.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
People who say he's terrible are just embarrassing your selves.

I don't peeps here think it's a terrible pick, I think those (me included) think the Cards panicked & reached for a player at #27. I think he's gonna be a solid player, but I don't think he's the #27 best player in this draft. I'm not sure most teams had him in their top 40.