Deone at linebacker

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hated so much of that draft. Watching Mosley and Shazier both go and not making any attempt to leap ahead of the Steelers and Ravens.

But really I thought we needed a young QB and two guys I really liked were there not once but twice in Bridgewater and Carr.

Had we taken one of them, god knows what would have happened last year.

Several guys went after Bucannon but on the defensive side I liked Stephon Tuitt and Kony Ealy.

Man outside of John Brown that draft sucks...

Bucannon

Niklas

Kareem Martin

Logan Thomas

Ed Stinson

Walt Powell

eek... that is a pretty ugly draft. Jury's out on Buc. He's an average starting ILB (that's not a knock... I know he's playing out of position, but that IS the position he's playing and he's average at best at it) and we have no idea what he looks like at S. Brown's a stud. The rest of the above... yikes.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Every report I've read from the training room is that Niklas has been an absolute delight to be around. He's got a great sense of humor and is the captain of the training staff corn hole team. Great pick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I hated so much of that draft. Watching Mosley and Shazier both go and not making any attempt to leap ahead of the Steelers and Ravens.

But really I thought we needed a young QB and two guys I really liked were there not once but twice in Bridgewater and Carr.

Had we taken one of them, god knows what would have happened last year.

Several guys went after Bucannon but on the defensive side I liked Stephon Tuitt and Kony Ealy.

Man outside of John Brown that draft sucks...

Bucannon

Niklas

Kareem Martin

Logan Thomas

Ed Stinson

Walt Powell
I remember hating that draft as it unfolded and people skewering me and telling me how good it was.

Supposedly the Cards tried to trade up for Barr but couldn't. That would have been nice. I also was a big Derek Carr fan that year but I remember people dismissing him because he had a bad meaningless bowl game against USC that year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Some points I will make...

1-It took Minter, a college LB, 3 years to become a serviceable starting ILB in the NFL.

2-Bucannon didn't play LB in college, and was a better ILB than Minter day 1.

3-Bucannon does not play with ILB instincts, as K9 says, he takes way too many false steps and wrong gaps.

4-I don't know how much instincts can be taught at LB, but I can say that better athletes have more of a history in developing than lesser ones.

5-I haven't seen enough of Bucannon in coverage to determine if he can be a better NFL S than LB, but I believe we are getting close to the point where moving him back to S becomes starting over.

All in all, what has impressed me the most has been Bucannon's ability to play as an undersized LB and stay healthy. That being said, he is average at best as an ILB right now. I think he has the athleticism to develop into a better one, but he will never be top ILB in the league. If this is all accurate, we will need to make a huge jump in talent at SILB to have an above average LB corp moving forward.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's possible to teach instincts either you have it or dont. But with more snaps and more film study the less false steps he will make. I personally think he is playing at a good level for never playing the position I just hope his body will hold up to the pounding you have to take playing in the front 7

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Instinct, by definition, is something you are born with. So, no, it can't be taught

I would counter with people probably mean more along the lines of muscle memory or football instinct and it can definitely be learned.

it's the same as the guy who played on one side of the DL his whole career and then moves to the other and complains I had my left hand down my whole career now everything is backwards. He didn't lose instincts, it's just that for X years everything has been one way and now it's all a mirror image because he's on the other side.

If you play something long enough you know where you are without looking, you know where others are etc. I don't think Buc is there yet at ILB, he may never be there because of his size I don't know. I suspect the false steps thing is part not being used to it and part realizing he's not big enough and sometimes tries to run around blocks instead of get through them the way a true ILB might?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember hating that draft as it unfolded and people skewering me and telling me how good it was.

Supposedly the Cards tried to trade up for Barr but couldn't. That would have been nice. I also was a big Derek Carr fan that year but I remember people dismissing him because he had a bad meaningless bowl game against USC that year.

Barr would have been a great fit for us and we'd probably use him a bit more wisely than the Vikings do. Their defense is good so I guess I can't complain but they drop him into coverage way more than I expected they would and they're not fully utilizing his pass rush skills yet.

Would sure be nice to have a guy with his athleticism and size to get after the QB.

I truly think the biggest problem Carr had was people blamed him for his brother not being a great player.