Deandre Ayton discussion

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, was listening to the NBA Show Pod on the Ringer and Chris Ryan put it perfectly saying: "I think that was the first time I've ever seen one of the Wired Up segments where I was like... about to start crying, slash, start doing push ups." An incredible vulnerable moment with Ayton and a coach making him believe in himself again.

gives me chills just thinking about it.

You guys know that Wilbon has been working with CP3 on a secret project all year right? When we win this thing, I bet whatever they put together is going to be a FASCINATING look behind the scenes at our first champsionship ever.

Its not a secret project. Its a memoir of Paul's grand dad that is for written by Paul and Wilbon. Here's some info...

Paul released the following statement regarding the book:

"'Sixty-One' is a celebration of my Papa Chilly who helped shape who I am today and what I value.

"His legacy of hard work and service to others is woven through the fabric of my parenting, my community work and how I have approached my basketball career. That high school game where I scored 61 points was a healing moment through basketball and I am thrilled to work with Michael Wilbon to share this story with the world."

BleacherReport.com/articles/2932254-suns-chris-paul-publishing-memoir-in-september-co-written-by-michael-wilbon

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its not a secret project. Its a memoir of Paul's grand dad that is for written by Paul and Wilbon. Here's some info...

Paul released the following statement regarding the book:

"'Sixty-One' is a celebration of my Papa Chilly who helped shape who I am today and what I value.

"His legacy of hard work and service to others is woven through the fabric of my parenting, my community work and how I have approached my basketball career. That high school game where I scored 61 points was a healing moment through basketball and I am thrilled to work with Michael Wilbon to share this story with the world."

BleacherReport.com/articles/2932254-suns-chris-paul-publishing-memoir-in-september-co-written-by-michael-wilbon

oh.

lame.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here you go...
Lol I love Ayton. Please guys stop making me do this.

One, Ayton himself thought he sucked in game 2.

Two, Jae Crowder shot 0-5 from 3, 0-8 from the field, with 1 point in game one, and had the highest +/- on the team with +19. Can we please stop representing +/- as an accurate measurement of single game individual play quality? It is a team related stat that is insightful in larger sample sizes, but can have way too much distortion from game to game. I'm not even sure everyone knows what it's actually quantifying.

It is OK to admit when Ayton has a sub par game for his standards. We've reached that level with him guys. We can stop worrying. We can stop coddling. He's really good. He recognizes it. We should too.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've been one of Ayton's staunchest defenders and yeah, he reeeeally struggled for the majority of the game. He was great down the home stretch but if he'd had the level of focus he did in the previous game there wouldn't have been a home stretch, we would have ran them out of the gym in the 3rd.

But hey, that was his worst game of the playoffs, and he still showed the toughness to make an impact anyway. I view it as yet another learning moment by a guy who has grown by leaps and bounds this season.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Lol I love Ayton. Please guys stop making me do this.

One, Ayton himself thought he sucked in game 2.

Two, Jae Crowder shot 0-5 from 3, 0-8 from the field, with 1 point in game one, and had the highest +/- on the team with +19. Can we please stop representing +/- as an accurate measurement of single game individual play quality? It is a team related stat that is insightful in larger sample sizes, but can have way too much distortion from game to game. I'm not even sure everyone knows what it's actually quantifying.

It is OK to admit when Ayton has a sub par game for his standards. We've reached that level with him guys. We can stop worrying. We can stop coddling. He's really good. He recognizes it. We should too.
He was bad through 3 quarters and I don't think anyone can make any sort of argument otherwise.

He had a good 4th quarter and was a big part of closing out the game, but I don't particularly see any issue with saying he had a bad game despite a good 4th quarter.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was bad through 3 quarters and I don't think anyone can make any sort of argument otherwise.

He had a good 4th quarter and was a big part of closing out the game, but I don't particularly see any issue with saying he had a bad game despite a good 4th quarter.
Yeah I don't think there's much question there. But I'm not sure if it was a lack of focus or if he started out confused which quickly became frustration. When Monty told him to just use force and basically ignore everything else, everything changed for him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't think there's much question there. But I'm not sure if it was a lack of focus or if he started out confused which quickly became frustration. When Monty told him to just use force and basically ignore everything else, everything changed for him.

Monty simplified the game for Ayton. He understood using force. I hope Ayton doesn't worry stats define him in a particular game.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty simplified the game for Ayton. He understood using force. I hope Ayton doesn't worry stats define him in a particular game.

He shouldn't but he does. I can't blame him either considering the media has done nothing but hype guys drafted after him like Luka for damn near averaging a triple double right away and Trae Young being a top 10 scorer. They use those stats to question whether the Suns should have taken Ayton #1 overall. Its not just the media but fans as well, not all but a lot. That shouldn't be an issue now that he's playing in the NBA Finals but he is just 22.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He shouldn't but he does. I can't blame him either considering the media has done nothing but hype guys drafted after him like Luka for damn near averaging a triple double right away and Trae Young being a top 10 scorer. They use those stats to question whether the Suns should have taken Ayton #1 overall. Its not just the media but fans as well, not all but a lot. That shouldn't be an issue now that he's playing in the NBA Finals but he is just 22.

I'm glad Monty knew the bottom line when talking to Ayton because he had his head down when he started talking to him.

As you point out he is only 22 but he is doing something Young and Luka aren't doing... playing in the Finals.

He is anchoring the Suns in the middle defensively something that doesn't always show up in the stats. Also the Bucks were sagging their defense in Game 2 sometimes having 2-3 players guarding him.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Here you go...
I've been one of Ayton's staunchest defenders and yeah, he reeeeally struggled for the majority of the game. He was great down the home stretch but if he'd had the level of focus he did in the previous game there wouldn't have been a home stretch, we would have ran them out of the gym in the 3rd.

But hey, that was his worst game of the playoffs, and he still showed the toughness to make an impact anyway. I view it as yet another learning moment by a guy who has grown by leaps and bounds this season.
This. All day this.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I find crazy is how he went from an empty stat guy, to now being a guy that the stats don't tell the how story.

Ayton is easily the best true center the Suns have had. AND he still is getting better.
I think we forget, or don't consider, that almost none of the top draft picks come into the NBA in these times with four years of college. Deandre and Booker were so YOUNG. You just cannot create instant experience and development of a player.

This guy came from the frigging Bahamas and last season would have been his senior year. He has always oozed talent, all he needed was time and good coaching to become what he is now.

Maybe next time we get an 18 or 19 year old player, Suns fans won't jump all over their *** the first couple of seasons screaming "BUST!" "Never will be a winner!" "Trade him before the whole NBA knows he sucks!"

LOL. I would hope so, but i doubt it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here you go...

Get out of here with this crap. That Meme is WhyAlwaysMe type troll behavior.

No one on this board is a bandwagon fan and especially not for saying Ayton didn’t have a good game, no less on a night when Ayton himself knew he wasn’t playing well and Monty had to coax him out of his own frustration late in the game.

Get a grip and stop attacking other posters.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s low hanging fruit at this point. Chris Paul had more turnovers in the game than he’s had in 3 months and was horrible but not a word.

I just ignore most of it these days

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It’s low hanging fruit at this point. Chris Paul had more turnovers in the game than he’s had in 3 months and was horrible but not a word.

I just ignore most of it these days
Actually that’s fake news. Paul’s turnovers got quite a bit of attention on this board with lots of conversation regarding the job holiday did on him defensively. But he also countered that with some intermittent superb play. People commented on Ayton having an awful game but almost to a person every poster that did so also celebrated his last minutes of powerful play helping lead to the W.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I like that Deandre Ayton has learned to ask questions.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That’s when you know (a) it’s become important to someone; and (b) that they will understand what is needed of them. If you don’t ask questions you’re assuming you understand everything someone told you - I guarantee you that’s a rare occurrence.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I like that Deandre Ayton has learned to ask questions.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I think a lot of people don't really understand just how rare it is to have a player like this. Not only skill-wise but personality-wise. He gets a lot of criticism about being happy-go-lucky, but I think that has helped him immensely in taking and acting on constructive criticism. I honestly don't think someone like Book would have reacted the same way had it been him getting all this talking to, just based on his personailty.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose