Deandre Ayton discussion

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Ayton played pretty mediocre last night several times failing to catch or finish at the rim on lobs. But late in the game he had 2 HUGE plays back to back a huge offensive board kickout for a 3 pushing the lead to 9. And then a rare for him play where on a baseline drive he came over blocked the shot and kept it in play. His defense has come leaps and bounds, still would like to see him more consistently challenge shots at the rim but he's getting there.
He also had two really timely steals.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's a good post game interview with Ayton from NBA TV, it has Kenny, Shaq, Steve Smith, and Isaiah Thomas all interviewing Ayton after game 2's W. Seeing Ayton light up when he hears Shaq start talking is so wholesome. The kid has grown so much in 2-3 years that you have to be dead inside to not be happy for him.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Here's a good post game interview with Ayton from NBA TV, it has Kenny, Shaq, Steve Smith, and Isaiah Thomas all interviewing Ayton after game 2's W. Seeing Ayton light up when he hears Shaq start talking is so wholesome. The kid has grown so much in 2-3 years that you have to be dead inside to not be happy for him.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
His personality is still so much like a big goofy happy puppy. It will be interesting to see how it evolves as he matures.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Loved hearing Monty say "it doesn't have to be about speed all the time. Go dominate the game with force." That is Aytons problem with Giannis. Ayton is faster than every other center he plays. He has to play with force against Giannis.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Loved hearing Monty say "it doesn't have to be about speed all the time. Go dominate the game with force." That is Aytons problem with Giannis. Ayton is faster than every other center he plays. He has to play with force against Giannis.
I think it still comes with his mindset. Ayton still tries to play too finesse at times. The good part is that he rarely gets in foul trouble, but he still gives up a few buckets that he shouldn't.

He still needs to get a bit stronger.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think it still comes with his mindset. Ayton still tries to play too finesse at times. The good part is that he rarely gets in foul trouble, but he still gives up a few buckets that he shouldn't.

It’s interesting to me how his confidence ebbs and flows. Against zubac he was fly in the air and dunking ON people. Last night he was going up scared as guards and forwards challenged him. You’d think that his playoff run would’ve proven to himself what he’s physically capable of, but apparently doubts still creep in occasionally.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s interesting to me how his confidence ebbs and flows. Against zubac he was fly in the air and dunking ON people. Last night he was going up scared as guards and forwards challenged him. You’d think that his playoff run would’ve proven to himself what he’s physically capable of, but apparently doubts still creep in occasionally.
He is being matched up against a 2 time MVP and what the press has been calling his biggest challenge to date. I think he looks intimidated a bit but he appears to be growing with confidence. He had those moments against Jokich as well. Once that lightbulb comes on that he can play he turns it on. The fans and analysts can't believe what they are seeing. I think the kid has probably surprised himself a bit.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He is being matched up against a 2 time MVP and what the press has been calling his biggest challenge to date. I think he looks intimidated a bit but he appears to be growing with confidence. He had those moments against Jokich as well. Once that lightbulb comes on that he can play he turns it on. The fans and analysts can't believe what they are seeing. I think the kid has probably surprised himself a bit.
But he didn’t look that way in game 1 so it’s really an odd game to game (albeit rare now, thankfully) phenomenon.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
But he didn’t look that way in game 1 so it’s really an odd game to game (albeit rare now, thankfully) phenomenon.
I think that depends on how the other player is playing. I mean, Bev looked pretty damn confident a few games against Booker too. Ayton being so young I am sure intimidation is still a factor. Players like Booker and CP3 have a different mentality.....wait until next game. Ayton will get that. Especially, if he develops his own shot.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It's really not that hard to understand. Ayton's advantage against most big men is his speed, so he naturally tries to exploit that. Anyone who has ever played basketball should get that. We look at him and see his size and think he should just power over people, but when he does that he usually gets in foul trouble.

With Giannis, the speed advantage tips the other direction.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In the clip Monty is trying to Buck up Ayton because he is down on himself. Chris Paul was said that too after the game. Was Giannis defending him mostly? I cannot remember.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

When he tried, he got blocked on a dunk attempt by their point guard.

The dude needed one power dribble and then a two foot take off. He could have destroyed Jrue if his technique and attitude were correct. Man I miss Amare's aggression in those moments. haha

Otherwise...... DA is my playoff MVP. CP3 doing legend things. Book taking all of the defensive attention. DA doing all of the post and paint defense.

What a joy it is to watch these guys.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the clip Monty is trying to Buck up Ayton because he is down on himself. Chris Paul was said that too after the game. Was Giannis defending him mostly? I cannot remember.
From what I recall yes. However, did you notice they are using the Clips tactics? Whenever Ayton is on the block on defense or offense he is surrounded by multiple players in the paint. Every time Ayton tried to get a rebound he was surrounded by way more than Suns players helping. I think they are just sagging down on Ayton whenever he is in there. That led to open 3's.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
From what I recall yes. However, did you notice they are using the Clips tactics? Whenever Ayton is on the block on defense or offense he is surrounded by multiple players in the paint. Every time Ayton tried to get a rebound he was surrounded by way more than Suns players helping. I think they are just sagging down on Ayton whenever he is in there. That led to open 3's.

This...Took a game, but the Bucks figured out/realized that Ayton is still extremely unpolished. Particularly with the ball down low, he has yet to develop any sort of a post game. He's still extremely limited with the ball down low - this really stands out in comparison to Giannis.
So, as you stated, the appropriate tactic for opposing teams to adopt is to make Ayton as uncomfortable as possible whenever he is down low. Multiple bodies bumping & grinding on him and keeping him from getting close enough to the hoop for easy dunks or alley-oops.
Ayton was extremely confused and frustrated last night. He was trying to overcome it all on his own... and then Monty stepped in. Monty's comments were so perfect and precisely what Ayton needs to hear. Forget about speed/stats... I can't watch that clip enough!

And, to state the obvious...But man, once Ayton begins to develop his post-game... He will be a highlight reel on his own each night!

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This...Took a game, but the Buck figured out/realized that Ayton is still extremely unpolished. Particularly with the ball down low, he has yet to develop any sort of a post game. He's still extremely limited with the ball down low - this really stands out in comparison to Giannis.
So, as you stated, the appropriate tactic for opposing teams to adopt is to make Ayton as uncomfortable as possible whenever he is down low. Multiple bodies bumping & grinding on him and keeping him from getting close enough to the hoop for easy dunks or alley-oops.
Ayton was extremely confused and frustrated last night. He was trying to overcome it all on his own... and then Monty stepped in. Monty's comments were so perfect and precisely what Ayton needs to hear. Forget about speed/stats... I can't watch that clip enough!

And, to state the obvious...But man, once Ayton begins to develop his post-game... He will be a highlight reel on his own each night!

that moment from Monty is my favorite WIRED UP segment from any game in any sport. Such an incredible moment between Coach and player which then paid off with IMMEDIATE dividends in the most crucial part of a championship series so far.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I thought Monty said "it doesn't have to be about stats all the time". The rest is the same, telling him to go dominate with force. Forcing his will on the rest of the game because its too late to have a monster stat line.

That also explains Ayton's problems, if he doesn't have a good stat line in the first half then chances are most will write him off for the game. However when he does start well, he'll almost always finish well. So if he gets in his head about not producing early and beats himself up, he takes himself out of games.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Monty said "it doesn't have to be about stats all the time". The rest is the same, telling him to go dominate with force. Forcing his will on the rest of the game because its too late to have a monster stat line.

That also explains Ayton's problems, if he doesn't have a good stat line in the first half then chances are most will write him off for the game. However when he does start well, he'll almost always finish well. So if he gets in his head about not producing early and beats himself up, he takes himself out of games.
Monty was right. You don't have to fill up the stat sheet to impact a game. Crowder does it all the time. Ayton went in there and was just physical the rest of the game.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
that moment from Monty is my favorite WIRED UP segment from any game in any sport. Such an incredible moment between Coach and player which then paid off with IMMEDIATE dividends in the most crucial part of a championship series so far.
Yep, of all the anodyne conversations we're subject to in these features, it's everything you hope for in terms of an inside look.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
When he tried, he got blocked on a dunk attempt by their point guard.

The dude needed one power dribble and then a two foot take off. He could have destroyed Jrue if his technique and attitude were correct. Man I miss Amare's aggression in those moments. haha

Otherwise...... DA is my playoff MVP. CP3 doing legend things. Book taking all of the defensive attention. DA doing all of the post and paint defense.

What a joy it is to watch these guys.
He's played lights out in 13 of 16 playoff games this season. He hasn't just played good, he's played possibly the best basketball of his entire career and it's been historic.

DA is absolutely the MVP of the entire playoffs. Won't be the MVP of this series, but definitely the MVP of the entire run.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He's played lights out in 13 of 16 playoff games this season. He hasn't just played good, he's played possibly the best basketball of his entire career and it's been historic.

DA is absolutely the MVP of the entire playoffs. Won't be the MVP of this series, but definitely the MVP of the entire run.

That depends, in my opinion. Paul and Booker have each been up and down, with the ultimate numbers for Game 1 going to Paul and the ultimate numbers for Game 2 going to Booker. Neither is the clear NBA Finals MVP favorite should the Suns win it...yet. If the Suns win it, and Ayton is key in the last two victories, I think he did enough in Game 1 to be the potential Finals MVP. Same goes with Mikal Bridges and Game 2.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, of all the anodyne conversations we're subject to in these features, it's everything you hope for in terms of an inside look.

yeah, was listening to the NBA Show Pod on the Ringer and Chris Ryan put it perfectly saying: "I think that was the first time I've ever seen one of the Wired Up segments where I was like... about to start crying, slash, start doing push ups." An incredible vulnerable moment with Ayton and a coach making him believe in himself again.

gives me chills just thinking about it.

You guys know that Wilbon has been working with CP3 on a secret project all year right? When we win this thing, I bet whatever they put together is going to be a FASCINATING look behind the scenes at our first champsionship ever.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That depends, in my opinion. Paul and Booker have each been up and down, with the ultimate numbers for Game 1 going to Paul and the ultimate numbers for Game 2 going to Booker. Neither is the clear NBA Finals MVP favorite should the Suns win it...yet. If the Suns win it, and Ayton is key in the last two victories, I think he did enough in Game 1 to be the potential Finals MVP. Same goes with Mikal Bridges and Game 2.

Bridges won't win finals MVP. Even if he continues playing like he did in game 2. The voting for Finals MVP is a bit more biased than other voting with just 11 media members voting for the winner. If the Suns win, I highly doubt they'll award it to anyone other than CP3. The stories too perfect for the media to pass up on.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bridges won't win finals MVP. Even if he continues playing like he did in game 2. The voting for Finals MVP is a bit more biased than other voting with just 11 media members voting for the winner. If the Suns win, I highly doubt they'll award it to anyone other than CP3. The stories too perfect for the media to pass up on.

yup. reality is the fact that after two games, the reason no one can say who would likely stand out as MVP is that this is just the CONSUMMATE TEAM. They win with EVERYONE playing their role.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave