Deandre Ayton discussion

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Can you imagine Robinson or Olajuwon in today’s game? They’d be averaging 40 ppg. Hell even Embiid and Jokic are close to 30 ppg and aren’t the physical talents of those guys.

Ayton is balling but he’s perfect in this role. We shouldn’t be asking for much more than he’s giving us (maybe improved passing down the road).

I think Embid so every bit as physically talented as Dream and the Admiral.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Embid so every bit as physically talented as Dream and the Admiral.

not even close.

Embiid is big and lumbering. Dream is just on another level and Robinson was an athletic freak for a guy his size

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think it's safe to say Ayton will get his max extensions this offseason, but will the team make him super max eligible?

If he keeps up his play and they win the title I think it'd be worth it regardless what happens in the future. Since he hasn't made an all-star game before he will only get the super max if he makes an All NBA or All Defensive team next year, which has a good shot of happening if he carries this play off performance into the regular season with all the notoriety he is getting.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's safe to say Ayton will get his max extensions this offseason, but will the team make him super max eligible?

If he keeps up his play and they win the title I think it'd be worth it regardless what happens in the future. Since he hasn't made an all-star game before he will only get the super max if he makes an All NBA or All Defensive team next year, which has a good shot of happening if he carries this play off performance into the regular season with all the notoriety he is getting.

He has to make himself eligible for the super max by making All-NBA, All Defense, or All Star games. He can also win MVP or DPOY but that's all on him, not the team. He's too late for the supermax off his rookie deal, which bumps his pay from 25% of the cap to 30%.

His next contract he might be eligible for it because he's been in the league and on the Suns long enough but that's a long way away. He needs to complete at least 8 years in the league to hit that, so I don't think supermax is a conversation that needs to be had at this point.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He has to make himself eligible for the super max by making All-NBA, All Defense, or All Star games. He can also win MVP or DPOY but that's all on him, not the team.

The team has to designate it in his contract. For instance if Mikal and he were both getting maxed the team would only be able to designate one of the as super max eligible. So the team needs to designate him and he needs at least one of those achievements(other than the All Star, you need to make multiple all star appearances before the contact takes effect which isn't possible at this point).

RockinDaMike

Veteran
Reaction score
So it took about 3 years to have most of the fan base accept Ayton as the first pick. I know I’ve read from here how it takes a 2-3 years to develop a big man properly. Looks like those people were right.

Should we give the same amount of time for Stix to develop too? Suns just proved they have the staff to develop a quality big man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it took about 3 years to have most of the fan base accept Ayton as the first pick. I know I’ve read from here how it takes a 2-3 years to develop a big man properly. Looks like those people were right.

Should we give the same amount of time for Stix to develop too? Suns just proved they have the staff to develop a quality big man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think anyone wants to cast off Stix for nothing. But I do think a big diff between the guys is Ayton showed more natural talent immediately. He was just born with skills and fluidity that Stix doesn’t appear to have.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There were a lot of us saying the difference between a playoff team and a contender was ayton's development into a star

So far he's proving us right

this is not just Ayton this is Booker evolving, hitting on Bridges and Cam Johnson, Cam Payne coming out of nowhere. The signing of Crowder and Craig

oh yeah and Chris Paul.

make no mistake this is 100% a team effort.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone wants to cast off Stix for nothing. But I do think a big diff between the guys is Ayton showed more natural talent immediately. He was just born with skills and fluidity that Stix doesn’t appear to have.

Ayton also had the body of a 30 year old when he was 17 go back and just look at them side by side in school.

his nickname is Stix for Christ sakes he’s nowhere near physically ready for NBA competition.

people just need to relax and give him a minute to be brought along.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ayton also had the body of a 30 year old when he was 17 go back and just look at them side by side in school.

his nickname is Stix for Christ sakes he’s nowhere near physically ready for NBA competition.

people just need to relax and give him a minute to be brought along.
To be fair the Stix name was given to him the year BEFORE he was drafted, and he kept it even though the reason he was called that was no longer valid. He apparently was MUCH skinnier as a freshman.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was probably always getting a max contract. The difference now is that none of us will be questioning whether it should happen. I love that difference.
Yep. I said he was one of the best big men during the season and that he was getting a max contract. However, many were focused on his lack of consistency or other short comings (those were legit concerns) but IMO his numbers didn’t lie. There was going to be a team that threw max dollars his way regardless of what fans thought.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score

Ayton is definitely more physically gifted but

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is a good question because the Suns window is now. I'd like to keep Stix to see if he develops in his second season but the Suns needs are more immediate.

Let's see how he looks in summer league. I think Stix' upside is more than his trade value.

In regard to Ayton, he was a legitimate NBA player his rookie season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a good question because the Suns window is now. I'd like to keep Stix to see if he develops in his second season but the Suns needs are more immediate.

Let's see how he looks in summer league. I think Stix' upside is more than his trade value.

In regard to Ayton, he was a legitimate NBA player his rookie season.
The window matters. But playing opportunities matter too. If the Suns are willing to develop him, I am fine with waiting. If he is just going to sit on the bench until he becomes a free agent, what is the point. Get a player that can fit.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The window matters. But playing opportunities matter too. If the Suns are willing to develop him, I am fine with waiting. If he is just going to sit on the bench until he becomes a free agent, what is the point. Get a player that can fit.
It wouldn’t hurt if his top-end becomes a quality and reliable back-up, who can perhaps be an interchangeable piece at the 4 or 5 spot…