Deandre Ayton discussion

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be fair the Stix name was given to him the year BEFORE he was drafted, and he kept it even though the reason he was called that was no longer valid. He apparently was MUCH skinnier as a freshman.

And he’s still skinny are you saying he’s not?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The window matters. But playing opportunities matter too. If the Suns are willing to develop him, I am fine with waiting. If he is just going to sit on the bench until he becomes a free agent, what is the point. Get a player that can fit.

My preference is to give Jalen Smith at least one more season to see if he starts to develop. If he was a contributing bench player I would be happy. He has skills.

This may sound like a small thing but I think he is much more talented than Ty Jerome who is starting to look like an NBA player. On the other hand, I know that $4,458,000 can be used elsewhere for a key reserve.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
This team is in “win now” mode. As much as I like Stix, if his potential and contract are enough of a piece to help land and instant impact player, I trade him. A team that’s 5 wins from the title doesn’t have time to develop talent if it can’t contribute today.

That said, with a true offseason and summer ball, I think he could develop
Into a solid rotation player next season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don’t think stix brings anything back of value. Always good to have developmental kids on roster. Even contenders usually do. Whether I liked the pick or not he was someone jones decided was worth the 10th pick over Haliburton. Give him two more years. There are other pieces we can get rid off to free a spot for someone else.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Listen if anyone can bring along Stix the best way it’s this team and Monty

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m a homer when it comes to wanting Suns picks to succeed in Phoenix, but if we like the kinds of players Jones and Monty have been drafting I think Stix has more upside for us than value to other teams right now. Phoenix is suddenly a completely different free agent attraction too.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have a young core who needs pieces around them. Getting rid of Jalen would free up a spot and cash.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team is in “win now” mode. As much as I like Stix, if his potential and contract are enough of a piece to help land and instant impact player, I trade him. A team that’s 5 wins from the title doesn’t have time to develop talent if it can’t contribute today.

That said, with a true offseason and summer ball, I think he could develop
Into a solid rotation player next season.

If Stix can develop into a solid rotation player the Suns should keep him. He has height, athleticism and skills.

Skratchy_Seal

Registered
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recall the media and fans making the comparison and Ayton may have said something to the effect that he saw it as a compliment to be compared to Embiid, but I don't recall anything about him saying he will be the next Embiid.

I think there was a post-game interview where Ayton said something like "I'm going to copy all of that", when he was talking about Embiid.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think there was a post-game interview where Ayton said something like "I'm going to copy all of that", when he was talking about Embiid.
Yes as in "he's really good so I am going to study what he does to be better". Or at least that's what it seems like to me.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As great as Ayton has been it's obvious he needs to develop creating his own shot. This series has highlighted that if you can prevent our guards from throwing it into Ayton? Ayton pretty much is there for rebounding only.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As great as Ayton has been it's obvious he needs to develop creating his own shot. This series has highlighted that if you can prevent our guards from throwing it into Ayton? Ayton pretty much is there for rebounding only.
I think we’ve known this all season. He’s advanced a great amount this season. And skyrocketed in the postseason. But he still has a kong way to go if we want him to be capable of carrying the team, even if only on occasion.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we’ve known this all season. He’s advanced a great amount this season. And skyrocketed in the postseason. But he still has a kong way to go if we want him to be capable of carrying the team, even if only on occasion.

Do you think he ever will be asked to carry the team? I doubt it as long as Booker is on this team but we all see what needs to happen if he wants to take it up another notch. When he called for the ball and hit that turnaround last night my mouth dropped. I thought to myself....holy crap...if he can develop that part of his game he will be unstoppable.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Do you think he ever will be asked to carry the team? I doubt it as long as Booker is on this team but we all see what needs to happen if he wants to take it up another notch. When he called for the ball and hit that turnaround last night my mouth dropped. I thought to myself....holy crap...if he can develop that part of his game he will be unstoppable.
But a fall away should just be a part of his repertoire. He needs to develop more moves in the post. Watch old mchale videos.

And I’m not suggesting he become our primary scorer, but he should be capable of carrying the offense for stretches when book or shooters go cold. He can’t at present.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
But a fall away should just be a part of his repertoire. He needs to develop more moves in the post. Watch old mchale videos.

And I’m not suggesting he become our primary scorer, but he should be capable of carrying the offense for stretches when book or shooters go cold. He can’t at present.
I think we are saying the same thing in terms of developing post up moves. To me that is 100% the next level of his game. When the 3's are not falling? It would be nice to just be able to dump it down on the post over and over to him. He needs that part of his game.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think we are saying the same thing in terms of developing post up moves. To me that is 100% the next level of his game. When the 3's are not falling? It would be nice to just be able to dump it down on the post over and over to him. He needs that part of his game.
Agree 100%. When he gets that i don’t think many teams can challenge us.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
4th quarter
7min left

cp3 doubled
kicks it to ayton who is beyond the 3pt mark

ayton dribbles in and finishes without charging

that was something awesome to see, completely caught them off guard

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sort of getting lost in all this is Ayton's response after a sub-par game that wasn't totally his fault. He fought in that middle like a mad dog. SEVENTEEN rebounds. That's on top of 14 points shooting 80% and 2 blocks.

With most of the attention on Chris Paul and Booker I simply can't say enough about this kid.

Last edited:

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sort of getting lost in all this is Ayton's response after a sub-par game that wasn't totally his fault. He fought in that middle like a mad dog. SEVENTEEN rebounds. That's on top of 14 points shooing 80% and 2 blocks.

With most of the attention on Chris Paul and Booker I simply can't say enough about this kid.
I want to see him battle a healthy and motivated Giannis in the paint

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sort of getting lost in all this is Ayton's response after a sub-par game that wasn't totally his fault. He fought in that middle like a mad dog. SEVENTEEN rebounds. That's on top of 14 points shooting 80% and 2 blocks.

for a guy who used to make me consistently roll my eyes when he spoke, I’ve been ****** that we never hear from him during post game coverage during the playoffs!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Ayton still ***** at beating people for position in the low post. You'll see much smaller guys that he should be able to move with ease beating him for position.

I think we all just need to be PATIENT with him. He has shown that he is capable of getting better and he is still really young.

One of the biggest myths that you see NBA fans and NBA media personalities pass off as fact, is that players pretty much max out their ability in their mid 20s. It's just not true and there are numerous examples of players getting significantly better all the way to about year 30. I expect that this playoff run is going to push Ayton to get even better since he has a taste of what he can be. This is especially true if Chris Paul sticks around for a few more years, which I expect to happen.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson