Deandre Ayton discussion

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m loving the easy finishes in the paint. So many years of the Suns needing to maintain a pace of high-effort scoring (without many offensive rebounds) only to watch the other team shoot worse but have a big man put half of them back in.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I hate to disparage Ayton while he’s getting laying well, but can anyone tell me how many of his makes he actually manufactured verses how many he just literally caught under the basket without anyone guarding him? I would count the following as being those he manufactured:

- an alley oop where he has to roll for the oop
- a jumpshot
- a hook shot
- off an offensive rebound
- the ridiculous drive and reverse that we’ve never seen before

I ask bc it seems, at least last game, he was the beneficiary of a LOT of feeds point blank for dunks. Not sure how much I really credit him with those.

hate to say it but this mans not wrong. However, still good play especially on the defensive end. Take those easy buckets away and hes still rock solid at least...

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to disparage Ayton while he’s getting laying well, but can anyone tell me how many of his makes he actually manufactured verses how many he just literally caught under the basket without anyone guarding him? I would count the following as being those he manufactured:

- an alley oop where he has to roll for the oop
- a jumpshot
- a hook shot
- off an offensive rebound
- the ridiculous drive and reverse that we’ve never seen before

I ask bc it seems, at least last game, he was the beneficiary of a LOT of feeds point blank for dunks. Not sure how much I really credit him with those.

Ayton is playing like two things. One a player who missed a boatload of time in his first 3 seasons. Second, playing like a player who unlike anybody else on this team is putting up big numbers in the playoffs. Better than any big man on the Suns roster in a very long time. His game is far from flawless but in his first 3 playoff games?

Ayton last three games 65 points and 36 Rebounds.

Let that soak in.

NOBODY and I mean NOBODY could have predicted that. Ayton has hands down been the most dependable player in this playoff series.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
hate to say it but this mans not wrong. However, still good play especially on the defensive end. Take those easy buckets away and hes still rock solid at least...
Actually tonight he had to make more shots on his own and came up pretty big.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ayton is playing like two things. One a player who missed a boatload of time in his first 3 seasons. Second, playing like a player who unlike anybody else on this team is putting up big numbers in the playoffs. Better than any big man on the Suns roster in a very long time. His game is far from flawless but in his first 3 playoff games?

Let that soak in.

NOBODY and I mean NOBODY could have predicted that. Ayton has hands down been the most dependable player in this playoff series.
100% absolutely. And it’s pretty awesome. And would be even greater if everyone around him hadn’t disappeared.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
100% absolutely. And it’s pretty awesome. And would be even greater if everyone around him hadn’t disappeared.

I will say it again. Who had Ayton would show up in his first 3 playoff games and get very little help (at least help at the right time) from his teammates on their Bingo card?!?!!?

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score

Let that soak in.

Who would have guessed three games in we could be talking about how ayton needed more help, he's doing his part

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton is showing flashes he can become a star and against a big team like the Lakers in the playoffs.

He had 22 points, 11 rebounds and 2 blocks tonight.

The Suns are seeing which players are most important to their team and Ayton might be the best piece going forward.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Ayton is showing flashes he can become a star and against a big team like the Lakers in the playoffs.

He had 22 points, 11 rebounds and 2 blocks tonight.

The Suns are seeing which players are most important to their team and Ayton might be the best piece going forward.
I agree. Booker had an off night. It happens. So I would put him and Ayton going forward as our building blocks. Bridges showed flashes in the regular season, and in the playoffs is handling a load defensively, but we need more offense from him. I noticed he tends to be able to impact that game with either defense or offense, but not both consistently. Once he can do both at the same time night in and night out he's a core guy, too. Paul is not long term, nor is anyone else. We need a good draft this year, or use those picks to get us another big at PF. Is Cam Payne our future PG? Or do we need to draft/trade there, too?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. Booker had an off night. It happens. So I would put him and Ayton going forward as our building blocks. Bridges showed flashes in the regular season, and in the playoffs is handling a load defensively, but we need more offense from him. I noticed he tends to be able to impact that game with either defense or offense, but not both consistently. Once he can do both at the same time night in and night out he's a core guy, too. Paul is not long term, nor is anyone else. We need a good draft this year, or use those picks to get us another big at PF. Is Cam Payne our future PG? Or do we need to draft/trade there, too?

Booker was harassed all night which was magnified by teammates not hitting shots.

Drafting #29 is not going to help much. The Suns still need a starting power forward and a PGOTF like they did in the last draft. Hopefully Jalen Smith develops. I view Payne as a backup point guard but it's hard to see the Suns getting a better one long term.

Trades and free agency might be the only way to improve the team. Trouble is the Suns do not have a lot of money to spend.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker was harassed all night which was magnified by teammates not hitting shots.

Drafting #29 is not going to help much. The Suns still need a starting power forward and a PGOTF like they did in the last draft. Jopefully Jalen Smith develops. I view Payne as a backup point guard but it's hard to see the Suns getting a better one long term.

Trades and free agency might be the only way to improve the team. Trouble is the Suns do not have a lot of money to spend.

This the Suns cannot get better in the draft with this late of a pick. Which means either a trade or someone in FA. Likely this means trading someone with value and a decent contract or the Suns are not getting demonstrably better. They may have to roll with what they have with small tweaks.

I hate to say it but we might end up with ANOTHER team that puts up wins but doesn't get anywhere in the playoffs. Par for the course.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This the Suns cannot get better in the draft with this late of a pick. Which means either a trade or someone in FA. Likely this means trading someone with value and a decent contract or the Suns are not getting demonstrably better. They may have to roll with what they have with small tweaks.

I hate to say it but we might end up with ANOTHER team that puts up wins but doesn't get anywhere in the playoffs. Par for the course.

The easiest way for the Suns to get better is try to add cheap depth at the 4/5 near the end of free agency and maybe add another center late in the draft. It depends on who is there at #29. At that spot all you want is a player who can play. I'd like to bring Nader back. He has no fear.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The easiest way for the Suns to get better is try to add cheap depth at the 4/5 near the end of free agency and maybe add another center late in the draft. It depends on who is there at #29. At that spot all you want is a player who can play. I'd like to bring Nader back. He has no fear.

They need to bring Nader or Craig back. I can't see them affording both or able to find playing time for both. Hopefully they can add a big so Craig doesn't need to play as one as often, if he's retained.

I like the idea of drafting the most NBA ready player at 29, preferably a big but you can't be picky that late in the draft. I wouldn't be surprised if that pick is traded on draft.night though.

I can see Saric being shopped in addition to the pick. His salary isn't big but its enough that it works in a sign and trade for someone expecting the MLE. That would help bolster the rotation if we need to spend the MLE on keeping Payne.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They need to bring Nader or Craig back. I can't see them affording both or able to find playing time for both. Hopefully they can add a big so Craig doesn't need to play as one as often, if he's retained.

I like the idea of drafting the most NBA ready player at 29, preferably a big but you can't be picky that late in the draft. I wouldn't be surprised if that pick is traded on draft.night though.

I can see Saric being shopped in addition to the pick. His salary isn't big but its enough that it works in a sign and trade for someone expecting the MLE. That would help bolster the rotation if we need to spend the MLE on keeping Payne.

Trading Crowder might be easier than Saric. The Suns have their hands full with the salary cap.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns Get: Domantas Sabonis

Pacers Get: Crowder, Bridges, Stix, whatever draft compensation you can give up

it works money wise

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

it works money wise

I've always liked Myles Turner of the Pacers as well. He makes almost as much money.

Although Turner is listed as a center, he is good 3-point shooter and shot blocker who can spread the court. There have been lots of rumors of the Pacers trading him but he seems happy in Indiana.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

it works money wise

That's an overpay for Sabonis. I like him but wouldn't part with Bridges and draft picks for him. Add in another starter in Crowder though and its too much.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've always liked Myles Turner of the Pacers as well. He makes almost as much money.

Although Turner is listed as a center, he is good 3-point shooter and shot blocker who can spread the court. There have been lots of rumors of the Pacers trading him but he seems happy in Indiana.

I think they might blow it up in Indiana

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
That's an overpay for Sabonis. I like him but wouldn't part with Bridges and draft picks for him. Add in another starter in Crowder though and its too much.

Sabonis 6'11 / 240 / 25yoa averages 20/12/7. Sounds like a good trade to me.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A player I've always liked and wanted is Robert Covington, who is in Portland now. He's got 1 year left at around $13 million. I'd try offering Crowder or Saric plus Stix or Carter for him. Not sure what Portland would want in exchange. They actually have a fairly complete team now, they just can't stay healthy. We don't have a way to give them salary relief, which might be most valuable to them.