Deandre Ayton discussion

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Credit where its due, Ayton has played great for a little over a month now. He did have one weak game not long ago but it wasn't the same invisible version of him we'd see early in the season.

Regardless of him playing well, I hope the front office addresses backup Center this offseason. Not just to have a 7 footer who can spell Ayton for 15 minutes a night but to give him a legit big to battle with in practice.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Credit where its due, Ayton has played great for a little over a month now. He did have one weak game not long ago but it wasn't the same invisible version of him we'd see early in the season.

Regardless of him playing well, I hope the front office addresses backup Center this offseason. Not just to have a 7 footer who can spell Ayton for 15 minutes a night but to give him a legit big to battle with in practice.
There’s little doubt that this squad needs one, maybe two more bigs. It would be great to get a modern day 4 and a backup center.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There’s little doubt that this squad needs one, maybe two more bigs. It would be great to get a modern day 4 and a backup center.
Man i hope they address that next year. Would be pretty tough to get serviceable bigs without messing things up at this point in the season. I've been crying for a good PF for a while now. We drafted Jalen but the team is too good for him to get playtime.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
these are the types of “records” I hate. Throwing the 70% shooting thing in there totally skews the numbers.
Have to agree. If you remove the FG% 25/15 has happened 181 times in franchise history. Add the steal and block and it has been done 76 times and Barkley for instance has 20 of those games.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have to agree. If you remove the FG% 25/15 has happened 181 times in franchise history. Add the steal and block and it has been done 76 times and Barkley for instance has 20 of those games.

Yup. it’s kinda the thing that bugged me when people kept listing a certain accumulation of stats to say what Ayton was doing in year 1 and 2 was “historic”.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
these are the types of “records” I hate. Throwing the 70% shooting thing in there totally skews the numbers.
It just shows you can look for any combination of stats to find comparisons that really have no basis in reality. No one in they’re right mind would place Ayton in the category of amare and Barkley as suns at this juncture.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can DA best 12.9 pts, 6.6 rebs in this year's playoffs?

If he can anchor our defense as he has in a little more than half our games, I really don't care what kind of scoring numbers he's putting up. Although I'd expect easily more than 6.6 rebounds if he's giving any effort at all and the refs haven't put him on the bench early.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is the real question. Ayton sometimes looks bored with games. Is it boredom or is he a deer in the headlights? He has every tool to be the difference.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the real question. Ayton sometimes looks bored with games. Is it boredom or is he a deer in the headlights? He has every tool to be the difference.

Ayton could have been nursing a sore knee as reported much like Cam Johnson's shooting had been off due to a wrist injury.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was critical of DA in the past. I love the effort and enthusiasm this year. Could he be further along offensively? Sure. But I think he brings great rebounding and consistently good defense. I think if he keeps progressing he should be a 21/12 guy and am all star. Needs to keep his hands up high in the paint, and he'd be a monster.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can DA best 12.9 pts, 6.6 rebs in this year's playoffs?

The rebounds are more important than scoring. If Ayton is getting you 10 rebounds or more per game he is limiting second chance points and getting your team multiple shot opportunities. I would take 12 points per game if he is getting at least 10 to 12 rebounds or more per game. We need his defense and rebounding more than him putting up 25 points. Scoring is icing on the cake.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose