Deandre Ayton discussion

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It’s a mind blowing stat considering he’s an excellent FT shooter for his position.
Agreed. It’s virtually unfathomable. You’d think a guy who plays in the paint at 30+ minutes per game would fall into 4 FT attempts per game. He has to work to avoid that much contact.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Ayton ranks 6th in personal fouls out of 500 players! That can't be good.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yup. So we know he’s DEFINITELY not an alpha. But he doesn’t even seem to want the secondary or tertiary role. He just wants to fit in on a fun ride. Tough to blame him, who doesn’t? It’s just rare to see so little ambition from a high flight athlete. And disappointing when he’s your guy that you took with #1 pick and who obviously has so much ability.

I think the problem is that the skills that he does have are best for a primary scoring role. He can create his own shot and find open players. It's just that he doesn't do those things very efficiently. He doesn't have the skills to be a good role player (hit open jump shots, roll to the rim, catch passes). Kind of like Josh Jackson and Michael Beasley.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the problem is that the skills that he does have are best for a primary scoring role. He can create his own shot and find open players. It's just that he doesn't do those things very efficiently. He doesn't have the skills to be a good role player (hit open jump shots, roll to the rim, catch passes). Kind of like Josh Jackson and Michael Beasley.

Ayton reminds me a bit like an early Enes Kanter. He could score but was constantly criticized for his lack of defense.

Still he is a pretty good center for Portland. He can score and rebound. Defense is still not the best but sometimes one has to look at what a player can do instead of what they can't.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ayton reminds me a bit like an early Enes Kanter. He could score but was constantly criticized for his lack of defense.

Still he is a pretty good center for Portland. He can score and rebound. Defense is still not the best but sometimes one has to look at what a player can do instead of what they can't.

That's a good, and depressing, comparison. Kanter has some very high level skills, but also limitations that almost completely negate his positive contributions.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Utah was 19th, 24th, and 29th in DRTG in Kanter’s first three years. The year they were 29th he started and played close to 30mpg.

The Suns are 4th in DRTG this year.

This is delusional claptrap.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a good, and depressing, comparison. Kanter has some very high level skills, but also limitations that almost completely negate his positive contributions.

Notice I said early Enes Kanter because I think Ayton can be so much more that. Ayton is much more athletic and has the ability to be good defensively. I don't think Kanter ever had the tools to be a good defender.

Different parts of a player's game can develop at different speeds.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We know he has the ability to be good defensively. We know this because he has played well defensively. All year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We know he has the ability to be good defensively. We know this because he has played well defensively. All year.
Except for lately when he can’t stay on the court because he’s fouling instead of playing good defense. But yeah “all year.”

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Except for lately when he can’t stay on the court because he’s fouling instead of playing good defense. But yeah “all year.”

It totally depends on who he is guarding. But yeah if teams make a concerted effort to go at him they can get him in foul trouble pretty easily.

it really sucks the team badly needs his defense and rim running and he is conpletely unreliable.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Just more of the same from Mr. Unreliable.

ya’ll remind me of this:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Just more of the same from Mr. Unreliable.

ya’ll remind me of this:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
WhyMe I agree with you Ayton plays outside most of the nights and he is like used for other things then stats and he still has them. The Haters want more and I get their crap but it was the Lakers with no center. Ayton could of had 50 points but the Suns do not use him like that. Not a good game to pound the chest.,,,,,,

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, don't know if I buy into the entire light switch cliche.....but damn if I don't see it and want to rush over there and smash that damn switch with a hammer.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
WhyMe I agree with you Ayton plays outside most of the nights and he is like used for other things then stats and he still has them. The Haters want more and I get their crap but it was the Lakers with no center. Ayton could of had 50 points but the Suns do not use him like that. Not a good game to pound the chest.,,,,,,

I hear ya, but I’m sure that the haters were expecting him to struggle on offense anyway.

And his defense was extremely good.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
WhyAM, on Ayton, I tend to agree with you for the most part, but I have enough sense to not try to constantly poke the bears here.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’ve seen this version of Ayton before for 3-4 game stretches. When it’s good it’s really good.

It's better than good. He had a rough start and then just really dominated the paint. He got zero help from the officials either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose