Deandre Ayton discussion

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you're getting this. He literally ends the quote with "So I got a lot to do" and that was directly followed by the comment about his kid carrying on his legacy. Seems to suggest that he has a lot to do to build that legacy for his kid to follow.

i read it that way too. Or at least I really wanted to. But I think I did.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
i read it that way too. Or at least I really wanted to. But I think I did.
The real problem is this is just more talk from a kid who doesn’t understand his own words. They just flap outta his mouth and sound good. But there’s no actual substance to them. I think he’s one of those instances where he’s a good guy. He truly wants to be good. But he’s had success naturally due to his gifts so he’s never had to work hard. He’s never had to push himself. So he doesn’t even realize he’s not working hard enough. He doesn’t realize he’s not as good as his tattoos say he is. And midway through his third year the light isn’t coming on. If anything he’s shying back further from the spot he should be claiming as part of the big three. If the switch is ever flipped for him, I fear it’s going to be years further into his career.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The real problem is this is just more talk from a kid who doesn’t understand his own words. They just flap outta his mouth and sound good. But there’s no actual substance to them. I think he’s one of those instances where he’s a good guy. He truly wants to be good. But he’s had success naturally due to his gifts so he’s never had to work hard. He’s never had to push himself. So he doesn’t even realize he’s not working hard enough. He doesn’t realize he’s not as good as his tattoos say he is. And midway through his third year the light isn’t coming on. If anything he’s shying back further from the spot he should be claiming as part of the big three. If the switch is ever flipped for him, I fear it’s going to be years further into his career.

bingo

you can tell he’s deferring more on this team instead he should be more aggressive that’s him not understanding his role or him not having the confidence in himself to say hey I belong at the front

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
bingo

you can tell he’s deferring more on this team instead he should be more aggressive that’s him not understanding his role or him not having the confidence in himself to say hey I belong at the front
Yup. So we know he’s DEFINITELY not an alpha. But he doesn’t even seem to want the secondary or tertiary role. He just wants to fit in on a fun ride. Tough to blame him, who doesn’t? It’s just rare to see so little ambition from a high flight athlete. And disappointing when he’s your guy that you took with #1 pick and who obviously has so much ability.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yup. So we know he’s DEFINITELY not an alpha. But he doesn’t even seem to want the secondary or tertiary role. He just wants to fit in on a fun ride. Tough to blame him, who doesn’t? It’s just rare to see so little ambition from a high flight athlete. And disappointing when he’s your guy that you took with #1 pick and who obviously has so much ability.

people don’t understand guys that have that killer in them are rare. He don’t have it and if it ain’t in him by now he’s never going to have it.

that’s why I laugh when I see guys getting all worked up over him. He’s an above average NBA player and that’s fine if he was the 9th pick in the draft but he wasn’t

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Deandre Ayton will get better but I'm not counting on it. Forgetting draft position, the Suns have a solid NBA center. At least they didn't draft Anthony Bennett. Also Mikal Bridges was a solid pick in the 2018 draft. Suns should fix the power forward position. I suspect this would help Ayton's play as well.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
people don’t understand guys that have that killer in them are rare. He don’t have it and if it ain’t in him by now he’s never going to have it.

that’s why I laugh when I see guys getting all worked up over him. He’s an above average NBA player and that’s fine if he was the 9th pick in the draft but he wasn’t
There’s a gulf between “killer” and Ayton. The fact that he’s seemingly in the low end of that spectrum, not even in the middle, is disturbing.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s a gulf between “killer” and Ayton. The fact that he’s seemingly in the low end of that spectrum, not even in the middle, is disturbing.

Yeah, I'm okay that he isn't the second coming of Jordan in this category but he's down there in Tim Thomas/Jerome James range. And his ceiling (for effort, focus, killer mentality) is probably Derrick Coleman.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm okay that he isn't the second coming of Jordan in this category but he's down there in Tim Thomas/Jerome James range. And his ceiling (for effort, focus, killer mentality) is probably Derrick Coleman.

oh man... the Center version of Tim Thomas is pretty spot on.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

perfect comparison. I’ve heard Barkley say Coleman was as good as anyone he ever played against but he just didn’t want it.

well hopefully soo we can unload him to Orlando

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I am so on board with a big trade for KAT. I think he may push his way out and the Wolves will want the space for Edwards to blossom.

And I'd give up a lot to get Ayton out and Book's close friend in the building.

Aaron Gordon is a smaller trade that makes sense for us as well.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I am so on board with a big trade for KAT. I think he may push his way out and the Wolves will want the space for Edwards to blossom.

While I worry about KATs defense his offensive game is wizardry. I feel like I flip flop on trading for KAT all the time. But Ayton is making it easier for me to want the trade but more difficult to make the trade with his crap play.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i guess Aaron Gordon can be that Rasheed Wallace-esque 4 that could just make us rock solid at least at every position while adding some needed athleticism to the team.

but what do we have to even give up at this point?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I bet he would cost us Dario or cam or both.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
While I worry about KATs defense his offensive game is wizardry. I feel like I flip flop on trading for KAT all the time. But Ayton is making it easier for me to want the trade but more difficult to make the trade with his crap play.

Ayton for Towns is a no brainer. Ayton doesn't have the intelligence that Towns has so he'll never get to that level.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Ayton's best way to help the team in the near future is a sign and trade next offseason. He doesn't make enough now to trade him for fair value.

The only way we can deal him now is for another player on a rookie contract, which isn't likely, or including another piece of our core. Sure he can be dealt for someone who makes a little more than the MLE but I'd sooner keep him and hope the light turns on in the next year and a half than dumping him for someone like that.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Maybe the Wolves add a pick? This is a lot to give up, but it's hard to make the numbers work.

You must be registered for see images attach

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Ayton's best way to help the team in the near future is a sign and trade next offseason. He doesn't make enough now to trade him for fair value.

The only way we can deal him now is for another player on a rookie contract, which isn't likely, or including another piece of our core. Sure he can be dealt for someone who makes a little more than the MLE but I'd sooner keep him and hope the light turns on in the next year and a half than dumping him for someone like that.

I'm really torn on him, some of that pressure has to do with Paul. If Chris wasn't here it would be easier to wait for DA to become the player we hope he can become. But we need instant results from him and he's shown that he can be something special even without further development if he just gives full effort.

I think I'd tell him that all we need from him right now is to be the best defender in the league and forget about everything else (such as ever getting the ball passed to him). That DA would make us a contender right now and we could worry about the offense (and his hands) later on.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if KAT forces his way out anytime soon. He just got his other best friend there recently, D'Lo, and leaving him in Minnesota is a dick move. I could see Minnesota moving Russell in an attempt to add some pieces to help KAT and Edwards much sooner than KAT demanding a trade.

KAT has 3 full years left on his contract after this season, which gives him no leverage to be demanding out. However that could all change in the future, like when Ayton is a RFA and the Suns can try working a sign and trade for him. If that happened and Russell is still there then he'd be in his last season of his deal as well.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
All I can say is... Ayton is probably the biggest **** in the league.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
he’s Pedro Cerrano in Major League 2.
I don't even have an analogy/metaphor to describe how much of a wuss he is. It's embarrassing watching him. If I was an opposing GM I'd laugh if Jones was trying to trade him to my team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA