Deandre Ayton discussion

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ayton can be frustrating - at times he seems totally lost in their offense (which is not designed to take advantage of him) and is only used for lob passes and offensive rebounds. Let's face it, if you shoot 80% for a series either you can't shoot and are just taking point blank shots, or you aren't shooting enough. In his case it's the later of the two.

But even with this he provided two things that he's the only one on the roster that they can count on for - strong rebounding and interior defense. And he does those pretty much every game. Sure, we'd love it if he blocked more shots, but if that meant getting in foul trouble more often, I'd rather keep him on the floor.

I'd like to see growth offensively (mainly playing stronger when he has the ball in the paint, and having a better motor), but along with that I'd like to see the offense take advantage of the mismatches his size and athleticism cause.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton can be frustrating - at times he seems totally lost in their offense (which is not designed to take advantage of him) and is only used for lob passes and offensive rebounds. Let's face it, if you shoot 80% for a series either you can't shoot and are just taking point blank shots, or you aren't shooting enough. In his case it's the later of the two.

But even with this he provided two things that he's the only one on the roster that they can count on for - strong rebounding and interior defense. And he does those pretty much every game. Sure, we'd love it if he blocked more shots, but if that meant getting in foul trouble more often, I'd rather keep him on the floor.

I'd like to see growth offensively (mainly playing stronger when he has the ball in the paint, and having a better motor), but along with that I'd like to see the offense take advantage of the mismatches his size and athleticism cause.

I agree with everything except that last line. I don't think its the offense that is lacking in that department, its something Ayton needs to learn how to do altogether. I'm tired of seeing him settle for jumpers while being guarded by wings and guards that he has at least 6 inches and probably 30-40 pounds on. Either he settles for a jumper or passes out rather than making them pay for the mismatch.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree with everything except that last line. I don't think its the offense that is lacking in that department, its something Ayton needs to learn how to do altogether. I'm tired of seeing him settle for jumpers while being guarded by wings and guards that he has at least 6 inches and probably 30-40 pounds on. Either he settles for a jumper or passes out rather than making them pay for the mismatch.
If he could just master two things:

1. How to effectively seal his defender; and
2. How to catch passes

he would be dynamite as an alternative offense when our regular offense bigs down.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just don’t get the pass catching thing. Yeah, he fumbles a few but seems to be a lot better at it than most big men. Certainly better than most centers we have had recently. His ability to catch and dunk on lobs is very good. He puts balls in the hoop that I would not expect.

I must be missing a lot.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some of those passes come in too hot while too close. Also below the knees dont help a 7 footer as well.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
The number one thing for me is he needs to learn to keep the ball up high and don't bring it down where it can be stolen. He seems to do that almost every. single. time.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It’s his hands overall. The combination of dropped passes, fumbled rebounds, and having the ball stripped anytime he brings it down combine to make his hands questionable. Maybe the most questionable since mark west. That said he is excellent at catching and finishing lobs.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The number one thing for me is he needs to learn to keep the ball up high and don't bring it down where it can be stolen. He seems to do that almost every. single. time.
And every single time it’s stolen. It’s not like he even draws fouls with it occasionally. It’s almost invariably a turnover.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s his hands overall. The combination of dropped passes, fumbled rebounds, and having the ball stripped anytime he brings it down combine to make his hands questionable. Maybe the most questionable since mark west. That said he is excellent at catching and finishing lobs.

He's like the opposite of Marquis Chriss. Chriss would fumble lobs regularly and have issues slamming it home but he did well getting the ball, and position, otherwise.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tom Chambers got stripped all the time.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is only one tone to take with box score slappies. I wasn’t condescending towards Raze because his posts did not warrant it. Read better.

Slappies?

Settle down Jeff Jarrett. This is a Suns forum not a wrestling board

There is a future here for you. You are smart and a good debater.

You 100% don't need to add in the slights. You create good discussion but then defeat it by making people dislike you

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure did. His aggressiveness and tenacity on offense is something I'd love to see from DA at some point in his career.

I’d be shocked. I think that’s something you’re kind of born with. From Day 1, Amare had no fear inside of anyone on offense. He wanted to humiliate people. That’s just not who Ayton is on offense.

And while athletic, he doesn’t have super ridiculous athleticism like Amare did which probably helped Amares fearlessness.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hard to find Ayton slander these days.

Leaving MVP corpses in his wake. I want Embiid.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson