Deadpool

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From The Hollywood Reporter:

20th Century Fox is developing a X-Men Origins: Wolverine spin-off featuring Deadpool, the wise-cracking mercenary played in the film by Ryan Reynolds.

Reynolds is attached to reprise the character for what for now is simply being called Deadpool. Lauren Shuler Donner and Marvel Studios would act as producers.

The project is currently out to writers.

The studio considered a Deadpool spin-off early in "Wolverine's" development process, which is why it cast Reynolds.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
... well he's one of my favorite Marvel guys and they did seem to understand a bit of the character before swirling off into silliness at the end.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I really don't know anything about Deadpool except that he cracks wise and is a mutant. That's honestly the extent of what I know.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I really don't know anything about Deadpool except that he cracks wise and is a mutant. That's honestly the extent of what I know.

Here's a skinny:

Wade Wilson isn't a mutant (that I know of) but was involved in the Weapon X program. He had terminal cancer, and the program used a strain of Logan's healing factor to cure it. It left his face messed up and it made him a little nuts.
He's got some good stuff, publication wise, but the first 50-ish issues of his ongoing series (by Joe Kelly and Ed McGuiness) is really his high-water point.

Don't know if it's in trade, but it's dynamite stuff.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's got some good stuff, publication wise, but the first 50-ish issues of his ongoing series (by Joe Kelly and Ed McGuiness) is really his high-water point.
Thanks.
Does this starting point require any past knowledge? I might look for a trade.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even based on that short Amazon description, I think he's a mutant. They mention his healing factor, and I think everyone in the Weapon X project had it innately.

Thanks for the tip. I'll be ordering through www.HeavyInk.com if they have it.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't believe that because that is all I know as well. :D

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fabian Nicieza gave Deadpool the real name of "Wade Wilson" as an in-joke to being so similar to "Slade Wilson", aka Deathstroke (DC). :D

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gina Carano Joins Ryan Reynolds in Fox's 'Deadpool'

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/gina-carano-joins-ryan-reynolds-773247

Gina Carano has closed a deal to join Ryan Reynolds in Deadpool, Fox's action movie based on the wisecracking mercenary Marvel character.

Tim Miller is directing the action adventure project, which is eyeing a March start in Vancouver. Lauren Shuler Donner is producing.

Reynolds is an assassin who is dying of cancer who undergoes a procedure that is supposed to cure him but ends up twisted and scarred while also imbued with super-powers.

T.J. Miller is set to bring comedic relief to the movie in an undisclosed role. And, fanboy alert: The Russian X-Men character known as Colossus is slated to appear in the movie.

Carano will play a character known as Angel Dust. It is unclear how she fits into the proceedings, but in the Marvel comics, the character was part of an underground mutant group known as The Morlocks.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's going to be based on the script by Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick, who did Zombieland. There has been a casting call released that reveals more info about various other characters who will be in this.

Casting Call/Supporting Character Info Link HERE

The scrip leaked online a few years ago and isn't hard to find, if anyone is interested in that. The reason this was finely given the green light after being in developmental hell for years is somehow the test footage shot back in 2009/2010 was leaked online and garnered a ton of interest so Fox finally decided to give it a shot. Here's a link for the test footage, which is basically a 2 minute CGI short.

http://youtu.be/gn4Z-U9OyuA

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope this is good. As much as I didn't like RR in Green Lantern I thought he was great as the character who became Deadpool. Looking forward to this. I just hope they nail it. The only problem I have is they made his characer in the Wolverine movie seemed overpowered. For instance, when I looked up his powers on the Marvel database he can for example use an energy beam like Cyclops but nowhere near the strength of Cyclops.

The movie made it appear like his abilities were equal but as I understand it (others know more than I) one of the prices of having all those abilities is they are less powerful than the mutants who contain those sole powers. The Marvel database seems to confirm that.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved this movie. Clint Eastwood at his best Dirty Harry :)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the best lines ever!!!

Love the way he handles the fortune cookie... :D

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, it says it's not the same Deadpool and yet they want to keep it connected to the current Marvel universe. I wonder how that is going to work. I guess they are just going to ignore the previous storyline all together.

It kind of annoys me when they do that kind of thing but I get it.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
So, it says it's not the same Deadpool and yet they want to keep it connected to the current Marvel universe. I wonder how that is going to work. I guess they are just going to ignore the previous storyline all together.

It kind of annoys me when they do that kind of thing but I get it.

Deadpool is Fox isn't it? If they wanted to keep continuity with their portion of the Marvel Universe, it'd be with X-Men and Fantastic Four wouldn't it?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard