Dbacks trade for Segura

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Didn't they say on TV that All Star voting has begun? A vote in May counts just as much as a vote in June.

The voters are rather consistent in voting for names regardless of their performance. And most of the roster is chosen by the manager anyway.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The voters are rather consistent in voting for names regardless of their performance. And most of the roster is chosen by the manager anyway.
My post was in response to your saying, "It's May.", inferring that it is too early to discuss All Star voting, which has already begun.

That's like telling politicians to not talk about the Presidential election when the primaries begin. Hmmm, come to think of it . . . :D

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My post was in response to your saying, "It's May.", inferring that it is too early to discuss All Star voting, which has already begun.

That's like telling politicians to not talk about the Presidential election when the primaries begin. Hmmm, come to think of it . . . :D

Yes, it's May. That was my response to your claim that Segura was now our only hope at getting an All-Star. It is WAY to soon to discount anyone.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yes, it's May. That was my response to your claim that Segura was now our only hope at getting an All-Star. It is WAY to soon to discount anyone.
For the record, I said Segura and Beef Wellington.

The only person it is difficult to discount would be Goldy. But I believe that his hitting problem, which began last season, is physical. Namely, his eyes, as he inferred when he said that he is not seeing the ball out of the pitchers' hands so quickly as before.

If that is the case, it is not going to be resolved in time to bring his stats up high enough to have him chosen for the squad.

I suppose Grienke could turn it around in time and Ziegler might be considered. But Lamb, Owings and Tomas as NL All Stars? I don't think so. And Drury has not reached that point as a rookie. Hell, he hasn't even earned a steady position on his own team.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Two years arbitration left after this season.

Just looking around at other NL 2nd baseman's numbers. What has gotten into Daniel Murphy?

He's always been a very solid hitting second baseman... He got dinged up last season, but over the past 4 years, he's averaged 150 hits a year... When he gets his 600 Ab's or more, he'll always put up 180 or hits and hit close to .300 or above. Just a pure professional hitter!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

My poor attempt at humor. :p

That article used a bunch of sabremetric acronyms I hadn't seen before!

Anyway, without all of those fancy acronyms, my eyes tell me Segura has been quite the find for the Dbacks!! ;)

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My poor attempt at humor. :p

That article used a bunch of sabremetric acronyms I hadn't seen before!

Anyway, without all of those fancy acronyms, my eyes tell me Segura has been quite the find for the Dbacks!! ;)

Basically he is making more contact this year by avoiding swinging at breaking balls outside the zone and fastballs up in the zone compared to his career norms.

That patience with those pitches has led to less swing and misses, less pop ups, and better production.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Basically he is making more contact this year by avoiding swinging at breaking balls outside the zone and fastballs up in the zone compared to his career norms.

That patience with those pitches has led to less swing and misses, less pop ups, and better production.

Yep - that's what my eyes have been telling me! ;)

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We seem to have reached peak Segura sometime around mid-late April.

Since April 22:

147 PA
.284/.306/.411

Compared to career of .270/.305/.372

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
what's to be made of a player that doesn't strikeout a lot, but also doesn't walk, yet he's still hitting over .300? is that sustainable in a vacuum, forgetting about his career averages?

it appears he's taking advantage of pitches he likes early in counts.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
what's to be made of a player that doesn't strikeout a lot, but also doesn't walk, yet he's still hitting over .300? is that sustainable in a vacuum, forgetting about his career averages?

it appears he's taking advantage of pitches he likes early in counts.

Players who don't K or BB a lot typically put up AVG close to their BABIP obviously. Those tend not to make career level jumps, but can be very volatile season to season. Segura would have to up his career BABIP from .300ish to .340ish to consistently AVG .300

Segura doesn't really have a low K and BB rate though. He has a low K rate and an impossibly low BB rate.

Looking at MLB players 2010 to 2016 seasons with at least 2000 PA, Segura has the 14th lowest BB/K ratio.

Just looking at 2015-2016 he is dead last in BB% and BB/K in MLB

Last edited:

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well I was short sighted with this.

Segura has 14 BBs this month and is sports a wonder leadoff hitter line of .326/.426/.372 in 102 PAs this month.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well I was short sighted with this.

Segura has 14 BBs this month and is sports a wonder leadoff hitter line of .326/.426/.372 in 102 PAs this month.

those 14 walks this month top his total from all of last year.

pretty crazy

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Best move we made.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited: