Dbacks trade for Segura

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Is it a good trade? I don't know much about Segura.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Well we did get younger and moved Hill's contract.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well we did get younger and moved Hill's contract.

To me, this is why the trade happened. The Dbscks have been wanting to unload Hill because of he is being way overpaid

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
^ Burned another prospect to dump salary although did have to give the Brewer's five and a half million to offset some of Hill's salary.

Segura looked to be a special player a few years back, but his productivity has waned the last couple years. He is a top of the batting order player with very good speed on the bases. But if you aren't getting on base the speed doesn't come into play. He is above average defensively.

FWIW, Segura is "the guy" the Brewer's got for Greinke.

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
Bring in a kid middle infielder that was an all star two years ago and is sitll just 25 years old, save 6mil and a SP with a 2.25 ERA in 152 IP in AA last year and give up two players that were unlikely to see much time, I like it!

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Chris Young was an all star.

Last year Segura had a 2.2% walk rate. Keep in mind that Owings' was 4.7%. We're talking historically bad.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about the trade is giving up Diaz. Sure scouts are doubtful he sticks at SS but it doesn't matter what position he ends up at if last season is any indication of how good this kid can end up its a shame we had to include him in the deal.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bring in a kid middle infielder that was an all star two years ago and is sitll just 25 years old, save 6mil and a SP with a 2.25 ERA in 152 IP in AA last year and give up two players that were unlikely to see much time, I like it!

Yeah I am not sure how anyone can complain about this. But whatever, too many people listening to Keith Law.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm not sure how anyone can be considered a good trade either. It's too small a move either way.

Yeah it's pretty much an afterthought for me.

Plus, this kid started off great but has tailed off and had a couple of disappointing seasons, maybe a change of venue will do him good, you know like it did for,,, wait for it, Aaron Hill! :p

Overall I had very little reaction to the trade either way. Hill gone was inevitable.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, so far this has worked out well for the Dbacks

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, so far this has worked out well for the Dbacks

Yeah, quite a ride so far, but this kid's profile hasn't changed. As long as that BABIP remains he'll be a productive hitter, like 2013, but he's just as likely to put up another 2014/2015.

That's the problem.

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Yeah, quite a ride so far, but this kid's profile hasn't changed. As long as that BABIP remains he'll be a productive hitter, like 2013, but he's just as likely to put up another 2014/2015.

That's the problem.

In 2014 he didn't have 2014 under his belt to learn from. He's lighting up some good teams. Hopefully it continues.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In 2014 he didn't have 2014 under his belt to learn from. He's lighting up some good teams. Hopefully it continues.

Huh? I don't know what this means really, but if it means what I think you want it to mean, then why didn't he "learn from 2014" in 2015?

I think the anomaly of his HR/FB and BABIP aren't sustainable. Not with the rest of his profile being basically the same.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Huh? I don't know what this means really, but if it means what I think you want it to mean, then why didn't he "learn from 2014" in 2015?

I think the anomaly of his HR/FB and BABIP aren't sustainable. Not with the rest of his profile being basically the same.

All I was saying is that maybe he's learned and will be able to adjust and stay productive with the experience he has gained.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All I was saying is that maybe he's learned and will be able to adjust and stay productive with the experience he has gained.

Maybe, but I'm more interested in what he's learned and why if he's in fact learned something.

That matters and expands my enjoyment of the player, coaches, team, and sport in general.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
At this point, Segura leads the Majors in hits and is tied with Goldie for the team lead in RBI's at 15 (from the leadoff position). Whether he is on a hot streak or has reached a new level, I am enjoying it.

As it turns out, his RBI performance can't even be tied to Ahmed batting 9th, because Ahmed's batting average stands at an even .200 with an OBP of .273.

Even if you take straight averages of our starting pitchers' BAVG and OBP, they come to BAVG .196 (just 4/1000 lower than Ahmed's) and OBP .205 (68 points lower than Ahmed's).

Either way, Segura's being tied for the team lead in RBI's while following the bottom of the batting order makes it even more dramatic.

And all that while leaving his natural position of SS to move to 2B.

I don't expect him to lead the D-backs in RBI's for the season, but how can any of us not feel pleased with his performance? It is a lot better than Chris Owings when he was our 2B.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At this point, Segura leads the Majors in hits and is tied with Goldie for the team lead in RBI's at 15 (from the leadoff position). Whether he is on a hot streak or has reached a new level, I am enjoying it.

As it turns out, his RBI performance can't even be tied to Ahmed batting 9th, because Ahmed's batting average stands at an even .200 with an OBP of .273.

Even if you take straight averages of our starting pitchers' BAVG and OBP, they come to BAVG .196 (just 4/1000 lower than Ahmed's) and OBP .205 (68 points lower than Ahmed's).

Either way, Segura's being tied for the team lead in RBI's while following the bottom of the batting order makes it even more dramatic.
This prompted me to look at Segura’s RBI total. With 4 HR that makes his OBI (RBI-HR) at 11.
Of those 11 RBI:
4 of the Runs came from a batter in the 9th order
1 was Ahmed playing SS
3 were a PH replacing the pitcher

So.. I’d say having an actual hitter in the 9th spot of the order has benefitted Segura’s RBI total.

His other 7 OBI break down to 3 from the 7th spot and 4 from the 8th spot. Interestingly enough, two of those eighth spot Runs have essentially come from Grienke. One as a SP and one as a PH.

A non-SP has hit 9th in the order only once since 4/15 with Grienke on the mound.
Ahmed is hitting .303/.378/.636 in the 9th spot of the order this year.
A .273 OBP is light years ahead of a .205 OBP.

Segura has been good with none on (.904 OPS), but he’s been better with ROB (.992 OPS) and even betterer with RISP (1.011 OPS)

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For Segura, something to keep an eye on:

Total: 116 PA .333/.362/.523
Last 14 days: 58 PA .316/.328/.439
Last 7 days: 21 PA .250/.286/.300

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Best get for us to this point this year.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was really worried in my last post that we were seeing him revert back to career production, but he's turned it around again in May in a big way.

10 game hitting streak going right now too.

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Best player we have right now. As in playing the best right now.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Best player we have right now. As in playing the best right now.
Right now, Jean Segura is our major hope for the All Star game.

Wellington Castillo as a backup Catcher is also a possibility.

That's about it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard