Darren Urban Twitter Report: Calais Campbell & Cards - 5 yr contract!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
how could be the cap room now..how much is required to sign draft picks.

A lot of confusion about how the rookie pool ties into the cap room, and how contracts work against the cap this year.

I hear from some media outlets that we needed to clear cap space, and from others that we didn't

Regardless this organization NEEDED to re-sign Campbell regardless, IMHO.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Wheres Rugby? Cheesy? LIAC? Come eat your crow gentleman!

Yes Im just ribbing you guys! :D

Understood :D , but fair enough with the vibe on this board lately, I better say something. And yes, it better be positive cause this is nothing but positive.

Biggest move of this offseason for this organization. So big that the second biggest priority is about the distance to the moon in importantance, IMO.

Not only that but it has to be one of the reasons the Cardinals were taking their time with signing draft picks, which makes sense and is a good move by the Cardinals, IMO.

Why is Calais Campbell worth so much money, just look that stats, the ability, the age only 25 years old. Pro Bowls are over hyped popularity contests, and has become such a joke they may cancel the whole thing.

Could not be more excited. Yes, yes kudos to Graves and company. Any complaints to have on this matter would be nitpicking at this point. It got done, and just like the game itself with wins, that is all that matters.

This move is so big, so important, and so key to this team, that it makes the offseason a very big success. Wow. So, happily surprised right now, this was the LAST thing I expected to read today.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
If you look at pure straight numbers, without knowing structure, looks like a 11 mill per year deal.

Dockett got about 10 mill, and that was two years ago. So 11 mill seems about right.

Will be 26 in September, signed through his prime years.

And it makes sense. Those two monsters up front make Horton's 2-4-5 work. I could not believe the amount of blockers two "smaller" DT's took up when I watched them live against Philly last year.

Both are very valuable, and there value is something stats cannot show......well actually, I take that back. When the entire defense is shutting teams down, and the organization is winning games, their play does show up on the stats.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Effing sweet!!!! Someone please give RG his due credit because the man has come full circle and is kicking ass these days IMO.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great news but not unexpected. Very fair for both parties $ wise.

Kudos to RG, Michael and Campbell.

Does this end the SOC's mantra for some?

Does this mean that when some of us stated Dansby was a one off situation that we were more right then making excuses?

The very cool thing is we are all witnessing the evolution and growth of our beloved Cards. No longer afraid to pay what it takes to keep key players.

Even the recent mistakes and potential mistakes are done with one thought in mind.....
WINNING.

Thank you Michael Bidwill!!!!!!!!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Does this end the SOC's mantra for some?

Getting there. The SOC is something that will take time to destroy. This is a HUGE step in that process. Consistency is the key. Nobody can speed up time, so my apprehension is what it is.

Does this mean that when some of us stated Dansby was a one off situation that we were more right then making excuses?

In the context of the last decade ? Sure.

In the context of the history of this organization, no. BUT, again it is a HUGE step in the right direction. Again, consistancy is the key.

This is a really, really big move. Look at the roster, and you will see a solid roster, with depth, plans for the future, etc., etc. Is it complete ? No. There are still problems at LB, but every organization has weak points, and you can't do it all. No team does.

I think this signing is a "over the hump" signing. The roster they have now has the potential to have one or two needs an offseason, and allow the organization to jump on more unexpected opportunities, and have a more competitive look to it.

So, I would say this is a massive amount of progress in the right direction. It put gigantic doubts that this is the S.O.C.

I would also like to state for the billionth time, that this is awesome, awesome news. So psyched.

Dockett
Campbell
Washington
Acho
Peterson
Wilson

That is a serious core of talent, and it is over half the players on the field on the defensive side of the ball. Then you start filling in those depth guys, and 2nd tier guys and you start feeling really good about the defense.

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Getting there. The SOC is something that will take time to destroy. This is a HUGE step in that process. Consistency is the key. Nobody can speed up time, so my apprehension is what it is.

Fair enough.

In the context of the last decade ? Sure.

In the context of the history of this organization, no. BUT, again it is a HUGE step in the right direction. Again, consistancy is the key.

I look at the difference as BM(before Michael) and since.

This is a really, really big move. Look at the roster, and you will see a solid roster, with depth, plans for the future, etc., etc. Is it complete ? No. There are still problems at LB, but every organization has weak points, and you can't do it all. No team does.

I think this signing is a "over the hump" signing. The roster they have now has the potential to have one or two needs an offseason, and allow the organization to jump on more unexpected opportunities, and have a more competitive look to it.

Outstanding thoughts.

So, I would say this is a massive amount of progress in the right direction. It put gigantic doubts that this is the S.O.C.

It's okay, I'll wait for you to catch up. And some say RG is the human snail :D.

I would also like to state for the billionth time, that this is awesome, awesome news. So psyched.

Dockett
Campbell
Washington
Acho
Peterson
Wilson

That is a serious core of talent. No two ways about it, IMO. Then you start filling in those depth guys, and 2nd tier guys and you start feeling really good about the defense.

:thumbup:

The only thing that scares me about this team is the QB position.

The LBers and O-line are the units that still have something to prove.

Good stuff Rugby.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'm glad it got done. There was kind of an artificial deadline to get this deal completed. If CC went into the season without a deal, he was gone. At least Graves seems to have learned from his mistakes.

I'm not positive but it seems all the main players are tied up for the foreseeable future. I'm guessing Washington and Wells are next in line.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
RG got it done. Kudos to him. Signing Campbell was a huge move to keep our defense together. The locker room will be wide open. I can hardly wait to see how good our defense is this year. All we need is to draft a big time passrushing OLB in the first round next year and the defense will be complete. Yea we could use a young backup or two for the d line but we should have one of the best defenses in the NFL.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm glad it got done. There was kind of an artificial deadline to get this deal completed. If CC went into the season without a deal, he was gone. At least Graves seems to have learned from his mistakes.

I'm not positive but it seems all the main players are tied up for the foreseeable future. I'm guessing Washington and Wells are next in line.

I agree with you. This is a great move by the FO.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I agree that 55million is a little tough to stomach. CC in no way deserves that.

Like the guy, say what you want about him being a core dude, but for that much, we couldve went and found a much better core dude to replace him.

All good stuff but I have to admit when I read this bolded part I said to myself, "And who would this "better core player be?".

A 3-4 DE is not a glamour position. They get lumped in and lost behind the stats of the DE's that play in 4-3 defense. What I am getting at is I can't think if a better 3-4 DE in the game today. Even in Campbell's worst season he was one of the bettet 3-4 DE, & last year he showed how dominant he can be

Sent from Rugbymuffin's Super Phone

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
All good stuff but I have to admit when I read this bolded part I said to myself, "And who would this "better core player be?".

A 3-4 DE is not a glamour position. They get lumped in and lost behind the stats of the DE's that play in 4-3 defense. What I am getting at is I can't think if a better 3-4 DE in the game today. Even in Campbell's worst season he was one of the bettet 3-4 DE, & last year he showed how dominant he can be

There are some on this board who will NEVER be happy with anything Cards do... so ignore him.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Cards' deal with Calais Campbell refreshing

May, 10, 2012 May 10
9:03
PM ET

By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

The Arizona Cardinals won seven of their final nine games last season.

You must be registered for see images attach
They scored a significant victory Thursday by reaching agreement on a five-year deal with defensive end Calais Campbell.

Re-signing Campbell became the team's top offseason priority after Arizona's unsuccessful run at free-agent quarterback Peyton Manning.

Campbell's status as the Cardinals' franchise player removed urgency from the negotiations. Getting a deal done anyway shows both parties made a good-faith effort. That's refreshing, given how frequently the franchise tag drives a wedge between player and organization. The parties could have waited out one another, in which case Campbell might have slipped away in the future.

Campbell, 25, is a rarity in the NFL for his ability to rush the passer (14 sacks over the past two seasons) as a 3-4 defensive end. His 6-foot-8 frame lets him clog passing lanes. It also makes him a threat to block field-goal attempts.

Arizona now has both its defensive ends under long-term deals. Darnell Dockett re-signed in 2010 and remains under contract through 2015. Campbell, Dockett and 2010 first-round nose tackle Dan Williams combine to give Arizona great potential up front. Williams is the key variable now.

The Cardinals have scheduled a news conference Friday to announce Campbell's deal.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Washington is next in line since Wells has technically 2yrs on his contract if you consider he has an club option for the final year.

As for Washington that will be a tough situation. LBs have turned into the RBs of the defense, thier worth is not what it once was. In other words that situation is not as cut & dry as Campbell's.

That being said I would love to keep Washington in AZ

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Credit goes to Graves. This was my biggest hang up with him and he got it done. What this tells me is that despite what some posters on this board considered the amazing talents of Karlos Dansby, he wasnt NEARLY as valued by the team as some here think they should have. Face it he wasnt a CORE player. And frankly I havent missed him once since he signed in Miami. Hopefully we can put the fact that he and Antron left to rest as symptoms of bad ownership.

The Cardinals promised to lock up A Dub, Dockett, Fitz (2X) and now CC. They did. I dont see the Cardinals losing players they want to keep anymore. Thats just not the 2012 M.O. on Warner and Hardy.

SOC my ass.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
I read $55M with $36M the first three years.

My guess, $15M signing bonus, and salaries of $6M, $7M, $8M, $9M, $10M. That saves another $1.7 on this years cap, which I believe we already had about $2.3M. So, $4M - enough to sign the rookies and a couple more vets (Haggans/Holliday/maybe an outside guy.)

Well done, Rod Graves.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the importance of what this shows to the league and players here is underrated. I don't think anyone can accuse the Cards of being cheap ever again.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been harping on the FO to be more pro-active on signing the draft picks.

So I have to give them credit on being pro-active on the CC signing. Good move and it''s great to have CC tied up.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Washington is next in line since Wells has technically 2yrs on his contract if you consider he has an club option for the final year.

As for Washington that will be a tough situation. LBs have turned into the RBs of the defense, thier worth is not what it once was. In other words that situation is not as cut & dry as Campbell's.

That being said I would love to keep Washington in AZ

Washington also has two years to run. He's a FA after the 2013 season.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
For anyone complaining about the cost I defy you to find another 3-4 DE who will give you 60 tackles, 7 sacks, and 5 passes batted down per year.

Campbell is a STUD.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy_Player