Dan in Real Life

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
Got both good and bad ratings...

Saw it tonight and I really liked it... add this to Eternal Sunshine for movies Focus Features has put out that I've liked

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan in Real Life

Release Date: October 26, 2007
Studio: Touchstone Pictures
Director: Peter Hedges
Screenwriter: Pierce Gardner, Peter Hedges
Genre: Comedy
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for some innuendo)

Starring: Steve Carell, Juliette Binoche, Dane Cook, John Mahoney, Emily Blunt, Dianne Wiest, Amy Ryan

Plot Summary: Advice columnist Dan Burns is an expert on relationships, but somehow struggles to succeed as a brother, a son and a single parent in this heartfelt comedy from director Peter Hedges ("Pieces of April").

You must be registered for see images

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh oh, Dane Cook...

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you thinking of this one?

I dunno...I don't think it's the "same" poster just because a head is horizontal.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Mrh182

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
Yea.. I was a huge Dane Cook fan 5 years ago back when I saw him at the Improv... he's not terrible in the movie.. I just dont think he should be doing acting.

Despite that, go see it. It's a great movie

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can someone who's seen the movie tell me why his head is resting on a bed of pancakes? does that have anything to do with the movie whatsoever?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This movie was a colossal bore!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Excellent film. I heard from a few folks that this movie was too 'blah' for them, but I didn't feel that at all. It was a character easy to connect with, and easy to feel for as the movie progressed. I also think his family was more than a little harsh on him and could have shown waaaaaay more compassion as they went along. After all, he'd held it together for them, and when he started going through tough times, he got blasted. I think that added to the movie, btw, rather than detract from it.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and when he started going through tough times, he got blasted.
I don't think that was the case at all. When it fell apart for him, his family WAS there for him. His parents supported him (you see why in the deleted scenes--they met under similar circumstances) and his daughters pulled together for him, too, despite his recent "transgressions" against each of them. Even Mitch (aside from a punch in the face), let it go pretty quickly.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't think that was the case at all. When it fell apart for him, his family WAS there for him. His parents supported him (you see why in the deleted scenes--they met under similar circumstances) and his daughters pulled together for him, too, despite his recent "transgressions" against each of them. Even Mitch (aside from a punch in the face), let it go pretty quickly.

Oh sure, they came together for him in the end, but throughout the movie, as he gets worse and worse, they simply get more upset and more irked, without even trying to see if there was anything wrong. It got to me, but like I said, I know that was a part of the movie done on purpose, and it would have been boring without it. It got a reaction out of me exactly how I think they meant it to.

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
This movie was a joke and the producers knew it.

This movie was NOT hyped as a love triangle. Probably because its a completely played out/tired plot.

Most of this guy's family was unbelievably obnoxious. I loved the dinner scene when the family acts as if eating with Juliet Binoche is the same as having dinner with the President. "Whats your perfect day? Have you ever lived your perfect day? Blah blah blah..."

The "talent show" bit was PAINFUL to watch. In fact, there whole Kennedy-esque retreat was pretty dumb.

I gave this film a D. And I love Steve Carrell (who I believe is a comic genius on the office).

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
Or, because it's not about the love triangle, but rather a man finding love again.

Either or.

With a woman dating his brother.

Hence the love triangle.

I was hoping for another smart "Little Miss Sunshine" type comedy but instead got Steve Carell acting in a film that plays out like a bad sitcom.