Dallas @ Suns Game 1 (R2) Monday 5-2-2022, 7 PM

Reaction score
But now have to disagree on the Marion/Rodman comparison. I only mentioned Rodman because he used to really piss off his opponents, like Crowder. No Sun has ever rebounded like Rodman did on such a regular basis, as far as I can recall at least.

Although Charles Barkley was somewhat close. But then unlike Marion, Barkley was not also a good defender, being too lazy to defend (or work). (Anyone want to counter that Barkley was actually a good defender?)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Ayton is proverbial current whipping boy on the team but I wanted to take a moment to recognize something. Ayton's outside shot is a complete transformation. Last year he almost exclusively played on the inside as was the recipient of assisted shots. He has been knocking down his jumper with regularity. It completely changes how teams can cover him. I honestly didn't think it would be as good as it has been. Not too long ago every time he put up a jumper I would just cringe.
His entire offensive game has taken a leap. It’s not just the jumper. He added the floater, the turnaround and even some off the dribble play. Sometimes they’re all tentative and a little scary, but he’s just starting to realize what he can be at the peak of his powers.

In a couple years, I think offensively he’s going to be a beast.

Posted that feature about him from the ringer in another thread I think. Great read about his maturation. It hasn’t been a rocket ship, but it’s been steady every year and coming together at the perfect time to take advantage of the last CP3 years.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although Charles Barkley was somewhat close. But then unlike Marion, Barkley was not also a good defender, being too lazy to defend (or work). (Anyone want to counter that Barkley was actually a good defender?)
I don’t think anyone here will carry that flame.

That said, I’ve always believed and still believe that Marion was an incredibly overrated defender here. Sure, DA would put him on anyone 1-5, but that doesn’t mean he was good doing it.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So this Nick Wright is the one to be watching over the next week or so on Youtube. He worships Luka. He is absolutely convinced, and gets a little pissed off about it, when anyone suggests the Suns are going to beat the Mavs. I will be looking forward to this guy saying he was wrong when the Suns send Luka and the gang home.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His entire offensive game has taken a leap. It’s not just the jumper. He added the floater, the turnaround and even some off the dribble play. Sometimes they’re all tentative and a little scary, but he’s just starting to realize what he can be at the peak of his powers.

In a couple years, I think offensively he’s going to be a beast.

Posted that feature about him from the ringer in another thread I think. Great read about his maturation. It hasn’t been a rocket ship, but it’s been steady every year and coming together at the perfect time to take advantage of the last CP3 years.

Here is a comparison of Deandre Ayton and Nikola Jokic thorough age 23 (4th season) and Ayton has only recently started shooting the 3P shot.

Once Ayton masters offense, the comparison to Jokic is something to think about except Ayton has more upside defensively.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So this Nick Wright is the one to be watching over the next week or so on Youtube. He worships Luka. He is absolutely convinced, and gets a little pissed off about it, when anyone suggests the Suns are going to beat the Mavs. I will be looking forward to this guy saying he was wrong when the Suns send Luka and the gang home.

The guy looks like a 12-year-old with a beard and likes to scream like Stephen A.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is a great feature on Ayton from the Ringer yesterday:

That was a terrific read. Though I don’t understand what part of his offensive game people (including DA) think we aren’t seeing. He takes plenty of jump shots. He’s got the nice turnaround and floater. He’s got the nice hook. He can hit the three but it doesn’t look good enough to be a high volume 3 point guy (at least not at present), and his handles aren’t good/consistent enough to take anyone off the dribble with regularity like a KAT or embiid.

I particularly liked the end of the article where it talked about him recognizing a change in the Pels defense and he told Paul it was time to shift to Paul taking the shot, which he did in closing out the game. Ayton’s knowledge and recognition has grown by leaps and bounds. If the suns screw up in the offseason with retaining him it will be a travesty of epic proportions.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I know Ayton is proverbial current whipping boy on the team but I wanted to take a moment to recognize something. Ayton's outside shot is a complete transformation. Last year he almost exclusively played on the inside as was the recipient of assisted shots. He has been knocking down his jumper with regularity. It completely changes how teams can cover him. I honestly didn't think it would be as good as it has been. Not too long ago every time he put up a jumper I would just cringe.
That’s interesting. I always thought he was a good jump shooter - even going to back to Arizona. I just hated that he relied on it more than working in the post. That said no way did I expect it to become as prolific as it is now.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Here is a comparison of Deandre Ayton and Nikola Jokic thorough age 23 (4th season) and Ayton has only recently started shooting the 3P shot.

Once Ayton masters offense, the comparison to Jokic is something to think about except Ayton has more upside defensively.

Ayton has an insurmountable lead on jokic defensively, but jokic’s playmaking ability dwarfs Ayton’s too.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s interesting. I always thought he was a good jump shooter - even going to back to Arizona. I just hated that he relied on it more than working in the post. That said no way did I expect it to become as prolific as it is now.
As far as I know Ayton had never come close to shooting 61.4% on his jumpers as a Sun. This % is even a step up from the regular season.

capologist

Veteran
Reaction score
You’re comparing Ayton offensively to a guy who averaged 7.3 apg at the same age?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re comparing Ayton offensively to a guy who averaged 7.3 apg at the same age?

We were talking about if Ayton blossoms offensively but the comparison is close except for assists.

No one is taking that away from Jokic.

Of course Ayton has a chance to be better defensively.

capologist

Veteran
Reaction score
We were talking about if Ayton blossoms offensively but the comparison is close except for assists.
Even if Ayton blossoms, he’ll never be anything like Jokic.

Which is OK. Jokic is far and away the best player in the league right now.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Far and away is a stretch. I think personally Giannis is the best player in the league. He does it at both ends, is obviously dominant and unfortunately for our Suns last year led Milwaukee to a chip…

Joker is probably going to win MVP and he’s a great player but we also saw Golden State matchup hunt him in their series defensively.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Me either, the amount of improvement in his jumper from just the beginning of this season is amazing. He goes gone from below average to above average.

I am excited to see his offensive game next season now that he has recently incorporated dribble moves successfully.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Anything like? I think that is a bit harsh.

He will never be as good a passer, but he can be just as good in every other way.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
he has shot 35% and lower till this season.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I’ll try and find the stat from the end of the year about him on the perimeter. Something like holding guards he switched on to like 32% or something like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard