Current Holes in the Roster

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
As of today, and assuming this is an uncapped year, and that Warner is under contract. If Warner retires QB would jump to 2nd priority.

Here are some general holes needed to be filled.

- OLB
- ILB <---- Starter
- NT
- OL (OT or OG)
- DB (S or CB)
- FB <------ Starter
- QB
- PR

Depth: (S or CB), OL, ILB, RB, WR,

Some thoughts:
- Elliot Vallejo ? Bring him back ?

- Keith Bulluck, Tennessee Titans ? I can't see the Titans letting him walk but you never know. He could definately play WILB in a 3-4. Plus Stephen Tulloch a younger LB is also a FA for the Titans.

- DJ Williams, Broncos: Who is eligible for Free Agency but the Broncos won't let him walk.

- At Fullback:
Tony Richardson, New York Jets
Dan Krieder
Leonard Weaver, Philadelphia Eagles

- Look for the Cardinals to take another look at Reggie Kelly from the Bengals again. Or even Ben Watson from the Patriots.

And finally, you cannot imagine that Whiz is not giving a very good look at the Free Agents that the Steelers have:

RB Willie Parker UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent
PK Jeff Reed UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent
C Justin Hartwig UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent
DL Casey Hampton UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent
DL Brett Keisel UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent
LB James Harrison UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent
CB Deshea Townsend UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent
FS Ryan Clark UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent

I still plan a big write up some time in the future, but this will at least get some thoughts going around.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for the hole at FB, get rid of it and use Patrick back there in a flex FB/TE role. ILB needs to be addressed in R1 or 2 for sure.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
As for the hole at FB, get rid of it and use Patrick back there in a flex FB/TE role. ILB needs to be addressed in R1 or 2 for sure.

Dockett is a better FB than Patrick. Keep Patrick at TE. It has taken over a century to find a TE that can play the position, I don't think we should now all of a sudden move him. If Warner retires we will need a FB a lot more.

Old FB's are a dime a dozen.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dockett is a better FB than Patrick. Keep Patrick at TE. It has taken over a century to find a TE that can play the position, I don't think we should now all of a sudden move him. If Warner retires we will need a FB a lot more.

Old FB's are a dime a dozen.

Maybe if Warner retires. If he doesn't it isn't worth the roster position.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing that you don't have TE on your list of needs. We have some bodies on the roster, but we maybe have the worst TE group in the NFL right now. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Cards take a TE with one of their top 3 picks. It's the most underrated weakness on the team.

Patrick is serviceable, but Spach and Becht? Fringe players at best.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
If we're going to be running the ball more, why get rid of the only true fullback on the roster if it's not going to be an upgrade?

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing that you don't have TE on your list of needs. We have some bodies on the roster, but we maybe have the worst TE group in the NFL right now. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Cards take a TE with one of their top 3 picks. It's the most underrated weakness on the team.

Agree.

Particularly if Warner retires.

Becht is a fringe TE receiver, but a bit better that that as a blocker.

Reaction score
And finally, you cannot imagine that Whiz is not giving a very good look at the Free Agents that the Steelers have:

RB Willie Parker - His star seems to have faded quickly. Not as good overall as Wells will be; and not as skilled in blocking and receiving as Hightower.

PK Jeff Reed - He would love kicking indoors instead of Heinz Field. Would he be cheaper than Rackers? I believe the Cardinals will re-sign Rackers.

C Justin Hartwig - A definite upgrade. But we have repeatedly heard the Cardinals are pleased with Sendlein. Not an area where they want to invest big $$$.

DL Casey Hampton - He would be a great addition. But at what price? Plus giving Hampton major dollars would cause Dockett to go ballistic... Can't see this one happening, even though it might be the most sensible from a player need standpoint.

DL Brett Keisel - 3-4 DE, not an area of need. Cardinals already have Dockett, Campbell, Branch, Iwebema

LB James Harrison - He would dramatically improve the Cardinals defense. I imagine Pittsburgh will do all it can to re-sign him. Being highly unlikely, it would be awesome for the Cardinals to get him though.

CB Deshea Townsend - :shrug:

FS Ryan Clark - Only if the Cardinals were to trade Rolle; which I don't believe will happen.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
- Keith Bulluck, Tennessee Titans ? I can't see the Titans letting him walk but you never know. He could definately play WILB in a 3-4.

I'm sure that Jet fans thought the same about Vilma when they moved to a 3-4.

James Harrison signed a new deal with Pitt some time ago.

BIM:definiteley

Last edited:
OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

That is why it is good to see you posting again.

Great point.

Personally I would like to see the position upgraded. I hate watching the Steeler because Health Miller makes me very very jealous. When he blocks down he locks in the edge like no other TE in the NFL.

Would love to get a guy like him.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure James Harrison just signed an extension this last off season and is not a FA.

James Harrison Contract Details
ESPN.com's James Walker has the details of Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison's six-year, $51.175 million dollar contract extension.

Harrison will receive base salaries of:

2009: $800,000
2010: $755,000
2011: $3,660,000
2012: $5,315,000
2013: $6,320,000
2014: $7,325,000

Harrison also received a $10 million dollar signing bonus, which will be prorated over the next five seasons. Harrison also has roster bonuses due this season ($2.555M), next season ($2.8M), and in 2011 ($900K).

Here's how the contract looks from a salary cap perspective:

2009: $5,698,750
2010: $5,555,000
2011: $6,560,000
2012: $7,315,000
2013: $8,320,000
2014: $7,325,000

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That is why it is good to see you posting again.

Great point.

Personally I would like to see the position upgraded. I hate watching the Steeler because Health Miller makes me very very jealous. When he blocks down he locks in the edge like no other TE in the NFL.

Would love to get a guy like him.

Back before last year's draft, I had a fantasy that Brandon Pettigrew would fall to us. If you look back in the archives, you can see that I started a thread years ago where I predicted the Cards would take Heather Miller, who's a bona fide stud.

Personally I think that it's a need, especially with Patrick being one slip-up away from a year-long suspension (I think). It's even more of a need if Warner retires, because we're going to see a lot of 2WR-2TE sets once Leinart takes over.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Personally I think that it's a need, especially with Patrick being one slip-up away from a year-long suspension (I think). It's even more of a need if Warner retires, because we're going to see a lot of 2WR-2TE sets once Leinart takes over.

I believe you are correct, and not to mention his knee is a piece of garbage.

I really think that the Cardinals will pick up Kelly from the Bengals.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Would be great to get Kelly.

It'd be nice to get a marquee tight end, but we don't really use our tight ends that much.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

It'd be nice to get a marquee tight end, but we don't really use our tight ends that much.

Kelly suffered a ruptured Achilles' tendon in August. It took Jonathan Vilma 2-3 years to come back from his Achilles. Compound that with the fact that it wasn't money, but Carson Palmer's intervention that brought Kelly back to the Bengals two or three years ago, and Kelly's 33rd birthday is this February, and I'm not sure that he's going to be much of an upgrade over Anthony Becht.

I think that Bo Scaife or David Martin are intriguing players, though.

Honestly, I'm not sure that any of us should be depending on free agents to fill any holes this offseason. The Cards are going to have to make their own room, and unless Karlos Dansby gets $20 million in upfront money, they're not going to have a lot of room to spend.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

His name is Rob Gronkowski, and he is going to fall pretty far in the draft since he did not play at all this year. I would guess 5th round.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His name is Rob Gronkowski, and he is going to fall pretty far in the draft since he did not play at all this year. I would guess 5th round.
I don't think he's going to fall that far.

My guess: 3rd round at the latest.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
If Jermaine Gresham is sitting there at 26, and healthy, he'd have to be way up on the Cards board.It's too bad that i think the Bengals have already started printing up Gresham jerseys for sale on April 23rd.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Gresham would be a good fit, but man would it be tough to pass on a NT like Dan Williams or an OLB like Brandon Graham for a tight end.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think he's going to fall that far.

My guess: 3rd round at the latest.

It really depends on his combine I think. The kid basically has one season where he showed his potential, followed by a season of an injury that probably will scare away a lot of teams. If he slips in the combine, he will fall really fast.