Cuban sets his eyes on Shaq

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
This is not something new, but now we have words from Cuban himself.

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=1323

My earliest ideas theorized that Phoenix badly needed to make a change, and Shaq and Matt Barnes for Josh Howard and Jerry Stackhouse would be a deal that would make Amare, Nash, and Suns’ fans ecstatic over a return to their up-tempo style, while putting an extra $30M or more (from lower payroll, lower tax, and additional NBA welfare) into the pocket of frugal Suns’ owner Sarver over the next 1+ seasons. (Let me say that again, so its impact in this economy isn’t lost: $$ Thirty Million Dollars Extra $$) At the time, it seemed like a logical idea, with Dallas getting Shaq, and Phoenix gaining not only J-Ho but also landing two huge upgrades by reaping re-energized versions of Amare and Nash for what they have now. Unfortunately, the ensuing talk out of Phoenix was that the Suns’ brass preferred the Shaq style attack.

But the times they are a-changin’.

Only weeks later, the whole NBA is competing for any cash-increasing deals they can land, the Suns are now in all-out seller mode, and reports say they now would love to keep the younger Amare and unload Shaq if only they could find a taker.

It is a great deal for the Suns, especially for keeping Amare.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But if the Suns are mostly shopping for Money For Sarver, they might like to shop here: they can include Leandro Barbosa, who is a bit overpaid and whose contract stretches beyond 2010.....

Silly writer.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Barbosa overpaid?! Maybe since Porter has the oddest rotation for him and doesnt use him properly, but he is well worth the money he makes when he is used right.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Barbosa has a good contract as long as he gets the minutes. The Suns adding Josh Howard and getting rid of Porter could solve a lot of problems.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Josh Howard seems to be somewhat of a lose canon. I would worry about his contract long term. I just to not know the terms.

On another note, Cuban seems to make some bad decisions in letting Nash go and trading Devin Harris. Maybe the Suns make out like bandits as well.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
I'm all for this, but I can't imagine what we would do to accommodate all the swing men we'd have. Nash, Barbs, J-Rich, Hill, Barnes, Tucker, Dragic, Howard, Stack. Our only bigs being Amundson, Lopez, Amare? Bleh. We'd need to trade a couple swings for another big to be remotely competitive.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Oh, for some reason I thought Stack expired this year. Looks like he doesn't expire till '10 also. Maybe this isn't such a good idea after all. Stack's owed 7 million next year and is pretty much done.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
This would be the smartest move we could make, except the opposite of that.

If we trade shaq it's for another big. We dont need any more players under 6'9.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm all for this, but I can't imagine what we would do to accommodate all the swing men we'd have. Nash, Barbs, J-Rich, Hill, Barnes, Tucker, Dragic, Howard, Stack. Our only bigs being Amundson, Lopez, Amare? Bleh. We'd need to trade a couple swings for another big to be remotely competitive.

Never can have enough talent. Besides Barnes would leave and Stack would replace him. Also I would not rule out secondary trades. Something tells me that the Suns might consider moving JRich. I think Tucker and Stack would be end of the bench players.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cuban Denies Shaq Rumors

By Uriah Stolkur, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 20 mins ago

With the NBA trade deadline approaching, the Phoenix Suns have been mentioned as a potential partner for many teams. One of those rumors has the Suns sending All Star center Shaquille O'Neal to the Dallas Mavericks for Josh Howard. Marc Cuban was spotted in Phoenix on Friday, but according to him it was to take in the All Star Festivities rather than discuss any sort of trade. "While a trade for Shaq would make sense from a basketball sense," Cuban explained, "when I discovered that ASFN poster Andrew would start posting on my blog, I had to end any possible trade talks."

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cuban Denies Shaq Rumors

With the NBA trade deadline approaching, the Phoenix Suns have been mentioned as a potential partner for many teams. One of those rumors has the Suns sending All Star center Shaquille O'Neal to the Dallas Mavericks for Josh Howard. Marc Cuban was spotted in Phoenix on Friday, but according to him it was to take in the All Star Festivities rather than discuss any sort of trade. "While a trade for Shaq would make sense from a basketball sense," Cuban explained, "when I discovered that ASFN poster Andrew would start posting on my blog, I had to end any possible trade talks."
Awesome

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Cuban Denies Shaq Rumors

You, sir, are full of win.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Never can have enough talent. Besides Barnes would leave and Stack would replace him. Also I would not rule out secondary trades. Something tells me that the Suns might consider moving JRich. I think Tucker and Stack would be end of the bench players.

I would certainly hope note. With Shaq gone JRich finally becomes more of a focal point on offense.

Ironically, a starting lineup of Nash, Richardson, Howard, Hill, Amare is a D'antoni wet dream. Who cares about defense? They'll just run you off the court and put up 120 a night.

What do the Suns have to lose at this point?

Kolo

Reaction score
Oh, for some reason I thought Stack expired this year. Looks like he doesn't expire till '10 also. Maybe this isn't such a good idea after all. Stack's owed 7 million next year and is pretty much done.

Stackhouse has a pretty cheap buyout this summer, so it's close to an expiring deal.

When I heard of the trade talk between Cavs and Suns that didn't involve Amare, I thought Richardson for Wally Szerbiak (sp?). I hope something like that doesn't happen, but the longer this goes on, the more worried I get.

dbUNIT16

Registered
Reaction score
Barbosa overpaid?! Maybe since Porter has the oddest rotation for him and doesnt use him properly, but he is well worth the money he makes when he is used right.

I agree that Barbosa is under-utilized by Porter. At the very least I'd like to see some consistency in how he is used. He needs to know that he's going to be the first/second man off the bench, and likely enter with 3 or 4 minutes remaining in the first, etc. Not that it has to be at that time or anything, just some consistent routine will do wonders for him.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Terrible deal.

I just think it's bad business to trade a big for essentially a SF and cap space. If you trade a big you need a big in return. At the very least you need to get a future PG and a journey man type big back in any deal.

I know Shaq doesn't have that much value and if your are blowing up this team it makes a little more sense but not if your holding onto Amare. If you trade Shaq away and we get a SF and a washed up forward back.....Amare would go back to playing Center. What a disaster.

Nash is off the table so how exactly are we suppose to acquire a legit center? Your only plausible way is to trade Shaq, Nash, Amare or a combo of them. Nash is off the table so that leaves Shaq and Amare.

I hope this is not a legit trade unless Amare is next.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Terrible deal.

I just think it's bad business to trade a big for essentially a SF and cap space. If you trade a big you need a big in return. At the very least you need to get a future PG and a journey man type big back in any deal.

I know Shaq doesn't have that much value and if your are blowing up this team it makes a little more sense but not if your holding onto Amare. If you trade Shaq away and we get a SF and a washed up forward back.....Amare would go back to playing Center. What a disaster.

I hope this is not a legit trade unless Amare is next.

If you Did this trade and and the Nash portland trade, I like how the Suns would look

Amare/Amundson/Lopez
Aldridge/Lafraentz
Howard/Hill
Richardson/Stackhouse
Bayless/Barbosa/Dragic

I like the Team it's a good change from this Old team, Dump oldman Nash and Shaq, Keep Amare, get younger and trim payroll, Do these 2 trades right away

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you Did this trade and and the Nash portland trade, I like how the Suns would look

Amare/Amundson/Lopez
Aldridge/Lafraentz
Howard/Hill
Richardson/Stackhouse
Bayless/Barbosa/Dragic

I like the Team it's a good change from this Old team, Dump oldman Nash and Shaq, Keep Amare, get younger and trim payroll, Do these 2 trades right away

Problem is multiple reports say Nash is not even on the table. Even if this did happen, we would have the worst in the paint defense in the NBA or pretty close to it. Amare has never been and never will be a Center.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Howard would like a number for a local Phoenix pot dealer before he would agree to the move

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard