The Ravens and Titans can have some affect on whether the Cardinals go to the SuperBowl.

Red Samurai

Reaction score
Now that the Arizona Cardinals are 7-0, I am more confident that they are going to at least be in this year’s SuperBowl as the NFC winner.

Even though the Titans and Ravens are in the AFC, that may affect whether the Cards go to the SuperBowl.

Like i mentioned in another thread, ever since the Ravens joined the NFL and made
it 5 bird teams in the league, 1 bird team has played in the SuperBowl at least once every 4 seasons. The last 3 SuperBowls has not had a bird team, therefore this season’s SuperBowl is bound to feature a bird team. But there has never been a SuperBowl where two bird teams played against each other, so there is likely room for just 1 bird team in the SuperBowl.

The best possibility for the bird team going to the SuperBowl are the Cardinals. They are 5-0 all time in playoff home games. Right now they have a 1 game lead over their competitors: Rams, Bucs, Packers, Cowboys. If the Cards secure that #1 seed, it will significantly increase their chances of going to the SuperBowl. But even if the Cards finish the regular season as #2 seed, or even as a #5 seed, they will still more than likely go to the SuperBowl if the Ravens don’t make it to the SuperBowl.

If the Ravens miss the playoffs, that would be the best scenario in the AFC for the Cardinals . But with a 5-2 record now, that looks unlikely. If the Ravens make the playoffs, but have a losing record, then that would be great because a team with a losing record has never won a playoff game on the road, only at home,
so then the Ravens can’t possibly go to the SuperBowl without winning a playoff road game. But that scenario is also unlikely. So the next best thing to ensure the Ravens don’t make it to the SuperBowl is that they earn a #1 or 2 seed. Being high seeds like that means that they have to win 2 playoff home games. The Ravens struggle in the playoffs at home, especially as higher seeds. They have a 3-4 record all time in playoff home games. The Ravens are more likely to go to the SuperBowl as a #5 or 6 seed than as a 1 or 2 seed.

Something else that could help prevent the Ravens from going to the SuperBowl are if the Titans make it to the playoffs with a winning record, but finish as a lower seed than the Ravens. Whenever the Ravens and Titans both made playoffs in the same season, they would face each other, and every time the road team/lower seeded team won. So the Titans making the playoffs but finishing as a lower seed than the Ravens will prevent the Ravens from going to the SuperBowl.

As for the other bird teams, the Falcons are now 3-3 with a win over the Dolphins today. If the Falcons miss the playoffs or go to the playoffs with a losing record, that will eliminate the possibility of them being the bird team that goes to the SuperBowl.

The Seahawks and Eagles currently have losing records, so we shouldn’t be too concerned about them going to the SuperBowl.

Right now, I’m about 95% certain that the Arizona Cardinals will be playing in the 2021-22 SuperBowl.

Last edited:

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now that the Arizona Cardinals are 7-0, I am more confident that they are going to at least be in this year’s SuperBowl as the NFC winner.

Even though the Titans and Ravens are in the AFC, that may affect whether the Cards go to the SuperBowl.

Like i mentioned in another thread, ever since the Ravens joined the NFL and made
it 5 bird teams in the league, 1 bird team has played in the SuperBowl at least once every 4 seasons. The last 3 SuperBowls has not had a bird team, therefore this season’s SuperBowl is bound to feature a bird team. But there has never been a SuperBowl where two bird teams played against each other, so there is likely room for just 1 bird team in the SuperBowl.

The best possibility for the bird team going to the SuperBowl are the Cardinals. They are 5-0 all time in playoff home games. Right now they have a 1 game lead over their competitors: Rams, Bucs, Packers, Cowboys. If the Cards secure that #1 seed, it will significantly increase their chances of going to the SuperBowl. But even if the Cards finish the regular season as #2 seed, or even as a #5 seed, they will still more than likely go to the SuperBowl if the Ravens don’t make it to the SuperBowl.

If the Ravens miss the playoffs, that would be the best scenario in the AFC for the Cardinals . But with a 5-2 record now, that looks unlikely. If the Ravens make the playoffs, but have a losing record, then that would be great because a team with a losing record has never won a playoff game on the road, only at home,
so then the Ravens can’t possibly go to the SuperBowl without winning a playoff road game. But that scenario is also unlikely. So the next best thing to ensure the Ravens don’t make it to the SuperBowl is that they earn a #1 or 2 seed. Being high seeds like that means that they have to win 2 playoff home games. The Ravens struggle in the playoffs at home, especially as higher seeds. They have a 3-4 record all time in playoff home games. The Ravens are more likely to go to the SuperBowl as a #5 or 6 seed than as a 1 or 2 seed.

Something else that could help prevent the Ravens from going to the SuperBowl are if the Titans make it to the playoffs with a winning record, but finish as a lower seed than the Ravens. Whenever the Ravens and Titans both made playoffs in the same season, they would face each other, and every time the road team/lower seeded team won. So the Titans making the playoffs but finishing as a lower seed than the Ravens will prevent the Ravens from going to the SuperBowl.

As for the other bird teams, the Falcons are now 3-3 with a win over the Dolphins today. If the Falcons miss the playoffs or go to the playoffs with a losing record, that will eliminate the possibility of them being the bird team that goes to the SuperBowl.

The Seahawks and Eagles currently have losing records, so we shouldn’t be too concerned about them going to the SuperBowl.

Right now, I’m about 95% certain that the Arizona Cardinals will be playing in the 2021-22 SuperBowl.
I’ll stop worrying about the Seahawks when Wilson retires or is traded.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the super bowl was next Sunday I’d love our chances.

However, there are still 10 games to go and a whole lot of football to play. Many many things can change.

I threw up in my mouth s little when Kyler was laying on the goal line. It was a stark reminder of how this season can change on a dime.

I refuse to entertain the silliness of 17-0, power rankings, or home field advantage at this point.

Even Beating the Packers doesn’t gaurantee us anything. Let’s sip this season like wine. Enjoy every game week to week. Everything else will take care of itself.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave