Creed

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whew - I thought it was a movie about a crappy band.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think the studio was clamoring for another Rocky movie. This seemed like a good idea to them to further the property. Considering that the last Rocky movie was actually pretty good, do you blame them? Regardless of what you think about sequels, remakes and unoriginality, there isn't anything particularly stupid about their desire to make this movie.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think the studio was clamoring for another Rocky movie. This seemed like a good idea to them to further the property. Considering that the last Rocky movie was actually pretty good, do you blame them? Regardless of what you think about sequels, remakes and unoriginality, there isn't anything particularly stupid about their desire to make this movie.

Sure there is. I keep seeing visions of Pizza the Hut and a reporter talking about Rocky 5,000.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If people stop going to these rehashed movies then Hollywood might get off there asses and write original screenplays.

writers do write original screenplays... but "Hollywood" won't make them.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score

You said it, Cheese. I've seen great movies this (last) year, but stuff like Snowpiercer isn't a typical Hollywood production. I understand they want sure money makers, but I think they're learning that the big tentpole moneymakers aren't the way to go any more.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You said it, Cheese. I've seen great movies this (last) year, but stuff like Snowpiercer isn't a typical Hollywood production. I understand they want sure money makers, but I think they're learning that the big tentpole moneymakers aren't the way to go any more.

What makes you say that? American Sniper?

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
What makes you say that? American Sniper?

I was thinking of major failures like John Carter (it STILL kills me they ruined some of the best sci-fi literature ever written), Lone Ranger, and other big-money flops. It seems to me, from an outsider's perspective, that Hollywood's pulling back somewhat from the big budget stuff as a result, hitting the remake/reboot button more and more.

What are yours and Cheese's thoughts on the topic?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I was thinking of major failures like John Carter (it STILL kills me they ruined some of the best sci-fi literature ever written), Lone Ranger, and other big-money flops. It seems to me, from an outsider's perspective, that Hollywood's pulling back somewhat from the big budget stuff as a result, hitting the remake/reboot button more and more.

What are yours and Cheese's thoughts on the topic?

I think they are still set on big budget stuff, maybe more than ever. Especially since we are still in the superhero movie boom, and it doesn't seem to be going away--especially with Warners trying to get a DC universe established. 2015 especially is going to have a lot of major tentpole big budget movies, with 2016 being almost as big (also remember, 2016 is the return to the world of Harry Potter as well).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they are still set on big budget stuff, maybe more than ever. Especially since we are still in the superhero movie boom, and it doesn't seem to be going away--especially with Warners trying to get a DC universe established. 2015 especially is going to have a lot of major tentpole big budget movies, with 2016 being almost as big (also remember, 2016 is the return to the world of Harry Potter as well).

Agreed. There's been no pull back, but more of a doubling down. I think in 2017 there's some ridiculous number like 27 remakes/sequels/comic book movies coming out.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. There's been no pull back, but more of a doubling down. I think in 2017 there's some ridiculous number like 27 remakes/sequels/comic book movies coming out.

Eureka !! Cheese - you need to write/create a comic book/series. Surefire way to break through from TV into films. :D

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well not entirely true but I get your point. "Original" is much more risky financially versus Star Wars part 100. It's the Hollywood equivalent of knowing there is oil in them hills and saying...nah...lets check them other hills.

Holy hell. I didn't realize there were that many. YIKES!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score

Zoiks! That's nuts.

Thanks for the insight, guys.

Eureka !! Cheese - you need to write/create a comic book/series. Surefire way to break through from TV into films. :D

No, stop distracting him! The first major project Cheese heads has to be an adaptation of the Sea Hawk by Rafael Sabatini. It will be done :D

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zoiks! That's nuts.

Thanks for the insight, guys.

No, stop distracting him! The first major project Cheese heads has to be an adaptation of the Sea Hawk by Rafael Sabatini. It will be done :D

The first major project I need to is the script I'm writing RIGHT NOW for my next episode. Luckily I have a MUCH better handle on it then my last one when I was a walking/writing disaster!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warner Bros. Pictures and MGM have just released the official synopsis for their upcoming Rocky spinoff, Creed:

Adonis Johnson (Jordan) never knew his famous father, world heavyweight champion Apollo Creed, who died before he was born. Still, there’s no denying that boxing is in his blood, so Adonis heads to Philadelphia, the site of Apollo Creed’s legendary match with a tough upstart named Rocky Balboa.

Once in the City of Brotherly Love, Adonis tracks Rocky (Stallone) down and asks him to be his trainer. Despite his insistence that he is out of the fight game for good, Rocky sees in Adonis the strength and determination he had known in Apollo—the fierce rival who became his closest friend. Agreeing to take him on, Rocky trains the young fighter, even as the former champ is battling an opponent more deadly than any he faced in the ring.

With Rocky in his corner, it isn’t long before Adonis gets his own shot at the title…but can he develop not only the drive but also the heart of a true fighter, in time to get into the ring?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warner Bros. Pictures and MGM have just released the official synopsis for their upcoming Rocky spinoff, Creed:

Adonis Johnson (Jordan) never knew his famous father, world heavyweight champion Apollo Creed, who died before he was born. Still, there’s no denying that boxing is in his blood, so Adonis heads to Philadelphia, the site of Apollo Creed’s legendary match with a tough upstart named Rocky Balboa.

Once in the City of Brotherly Love, Adonis tracks Rocky (Stallone) down and asks him to be his trainer. Despite his insistence that he is out of the fight game for good, Rocky sees in Adonis the strength and determination he had known in Apollo—the fierce rival who became his closest friend. Agreeing to take him on, Rocky trains the young fighter, even as the former champ is battling an opponent more deadly than any he faced in the ring.

With Rocky in his corner, it isn’t long before Adonis gets his own shot at the title…but can he develop not only the drive but also the heart of a true fighter, in time to get into the ring?

so, guessing Rocky's got some kind of terminal cancer or early onset alzheimer's or something?

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score

Ugh.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Trailer is out. It looks awesome! I know some are tired of sequels and spinoffs, but if you are going to do a trailer for a spinoff, this is how it is done!

http://collider.com/creed-trailer-rocky-goes-from-fighter-to-trainer-in-new-sequel/

Agreeing to take him on, Rocky trains the young fighter, even as the former champ is battling an opponent more deadly than any he faced in the ring.

From another article.

Turns out that while he was growing up, Coogler’s father showed him the Rocky movies to instill the notion of heroes and the idea that dreams can come true with hard work. As he became an accomplished wide receiver at Sacramento State and a budding filmmaker, Coogler’s father later came down with ALS. All of the touchstones of his life are rolled into this movie and it required him to win the trust of Stallone, who was very protective over his first and most memorable character creation.

http://deadline.com/2015/06/creed-t...one-michael-b-jordan-rocky-sequel-1201465265/

I think Rocky is going to be diagnosed with ALS. I am not sure how I feel about that.

Last edited: