Creed

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
best part of this movie was how Stallone did a fantastic job of underplaying Rocky. THIS felt like the extension of the character everyone fell in love with in Rocky and Rocky 2 before he became the superhero he was in all of the other movies. Even in the "back to basics" Rocky Balboa, he was pretty over the top, IMO. Great speeches in that movie, but no one in it felt like a real person.

Now, the mechanics of the plot here can be quibbled with to be sure (just the same as the original), but the characters can't be. They're all pretty fleshed out and believable and that's what moves the story.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mickey's health problems didn't show until Rocky III. He was a healthy 75 year old in the 1st 2.

Sorry but I can't. It's one thing to have a kid age a few years in a short period of time but to have a kid who should be born 10 years after Apollo died is a bit too much.

You said you "can't" do 10 years... but how about 2? Jordan was born in 1987... 2 years after Apollo "died" in 1985.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree to disagree.

lol.. Someone who hasn't actually seen the movie really can't comment on whether it's worth seeing because they have no basis on which to judge the movie.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
lol.. Someone who hasn't actually seen the movie really can't comment on whether it's worth seeing because they have no basis on which to judge the movie.

That's not really what you said. You offered a shot across the bow with this sentence:

Anyone who loves Rocky and doesn't see this is a complete and utter moron.

I love Rocky, I'm not going to see Creed, and I'm not a complete and utter moron. So, yeah, I'm gonna fracking agree to disagree.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
That's not really what you said. You offered a shot across the bow with this sentence:

I love Rocky, I'm not going to see Creed, and I'm not a complete and utter moron. So, yeah, I'm gonna fracking agree to disagree.

Hey buddy, keep the Battlestar Gallactica swearing under control... :p

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
My wife and I saw this film on Friday. I wasnt expecting much but it turned out better than I thought. I enjoyed Rocky's character and it was fun catching up with his life to this point. I had read that Sly had liberty in writing his own characters lines for this movie which helped with the authenticity of this iconic film series. While this movie entertained and held my interest it wasnt without its flaws. What bugged me was the hip hop vibe to this film. I had to remind myself that the movie is called Creed, and Rocky is the secondary Character. And since this movie wasnt written by Sly I can understand the unusual strangeness to it. I didnt like the fact they used Phylicia Rashad as Mary Ann Creed instead of the original actress. Another couple things that bothered me was Rocky's lack of "punchyness" in this film. Their was no sign of brain damage in this film from getting his noodle scrambled throughout his career. The fact that Creeds son was born in 1985 or 86 would have put him around 30? You have suspend reality a little for this movie, but I guess you can say the same for all Rocky movies.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
best part of this movie was how Stallone did a fantastic job of underplaying Rocky. THIS felt like the extension of the character everyone fell in love with in Rocky and Rocky 2 before he became the superhero he was in all of the other movies. Even in the "back to basics" Rocky Balboa, he was pretty over the top, IMO. Great speeches in that movie, but no one in it felt like a real person.

Now, the mechanics of the plot here can be quibbled with to be sure (just the same as the original), but the characters can't be. They're all pretty fleshed out and believable and that's what moves the story.

I was super impressed by the writing of Addonis backstory too. The easy thing would have been to just have had Apollo's wife be pregnant when Apollo died (totally plausible) but instead they chose the more complicated backstory of the bastard child of an affair, orphaned and the fact that it took Apollo's wife a few years to come to terms with it but she eventually couldn't let him suffer in the system so she took him in. I just thought that was good writing. They could have taken the 'easy way out' but they went with something more real. I liked it.

I also liked Rocky's character, like Cheese said back to basic Rocky and you have this old boxer, living in the past, haunted by ghosts. I thought they did a good job.

I dont get why people are so hung up on the timeline. Of all of the kids ages in the Rocky films, this is like, the only one that actually makes sense! lol Kid was born in 85/86 when Rocky 4 took place, he's 30 now. Michael B Jordan is 28. It's really not a reach at all.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think you're a moron based on seeing the movie. That's what I meant.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I saw this film on Friday. I wasnt expecting much but it turned out better than I thought. I enjoyed Rocky's character and it was fun catching up with his life to this point. I had read that Sly had liberty in writing his own characters lines for this movie which helped with the authenticity of this iconic film series. While this movie entertained and held my interest it wasnt without its flaws. What bugged me was the hip hop vibe to this film. I had to remind myself that the movie is called Creed, and Rocky is the secondary Character. And since this movie wasnt written by Sly I can understand the unusual strangeness to it. I didnt like the fact they used Phylicia Rashad as Mary Ann Creed instead of the original actress. Another couple things that bothered me was Rocky's lack of "punchyness" in this film. Their was no sign of brain damage in this film from getting his noodle scrambled throughout his career. The fact that Creeds son was born in 1985 or 86 would have put him around 30? You have suspend reality a little for this movie, but I guess you can say the same for all Rocky movies.

If Creed died in 1985 (a couple months before Xmas when the Drago fight was), that means his son could have been born in 1986. Jordan was born in 1987. Seems to line up almost perfectly.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that's what you meant. Since I don't want to see the movie, and yours isn't the only opinion, I'm not a moron based on that either.

you are if you love Rocky. It's a great Rocky movie and any Rocky fan who doesn't want to see a great Rocky movie is a moron, IMO.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I just wanted a drink of water!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah...if you are a Rocky fan and don't want to see this movie....knowing it's good?!?! Sounds moronic. LOL.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Yeah...if you are a Rocky fan and don't want to see this movie....knowing it's good?!?! Sounds moronic. LOL.

Moronic is posting spoilers for a movie before it has come out LIKE SOMEONE DID ON THE STAR WARS THREAD.

And Cheese and I have disagreed on plenty of movies, so I'm not even close to 'knowing it's good.'

You, Covert Rain, are batting flat ZERO for the day. Quit while you're behind.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moronic is posting spoilers for a movie before it has come out LIKE SOMEONE DID ON THE STAR WARS THREAD.

And Cheese and I have disagreed on plenty of movies, so I'm not even close to 'knowing it's good.'

You, Covert Rain, are batting flat ZERO for the day. Quit while you're behind.

Stop crying about speculation. Did you cry when there was the ridiculous...Kylo is Luke theory was out there? It's all speculation until you see the movie. Take a deep breath.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Stop crying about speculation. Did you cry when there was the ridiculous...Kylo is Luke theory was out there? It's all speculation until you see the movie. Take a deep breath.

I haven't read that theory, actually, though I'd have scoffed at it if I had. Point being, in this thread, one person can call a movie good, but that doesn't mean it is, or that everyone will like it, and calling people names for not sharing (or wanting to share) that same opinion is playground stuff.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't read that theory, actually, though I'd have scoffed at it if I had. Point being, in this thread, one person can call a movie good, but that doesn't mean it is, or that everyone will like it, and calling people names for not sharing (or wanting to share) that same opinion is playground stuff.

Yeah but having an uniformed opinion and coming to a conclusion you don't want to see a good movie sounds ridiculous no matter the reason. It's just not one person. The movie is just about universally getting much praise.

I will leave it up to certain people running for POTUS to spew uniformed opinions. :)

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Yeah but having an uniformed opinion and coming to a conclusion you don't want to see a good movie sounds ridiculous no matter the reason. It's just not one person. The movie is just about universally getting much praise.

I will leave it up to certain people running for POTUS to spew uniformed opinions. :)

Ha! Good one about the POTUS race.

I don't see every movie that comes out, and some movies that draw almost universal praise suck, IMO. I didn't want to see it before, and I still don't. Others may enjoy it, and that's fine. I was called out quite specifically, though, thus my reaction.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Just saw it. Awesome! I have to say the cinematography needs an Oscar nod. They have a guy with a steady cam in the ring during the fight, circling some of the rounds in what appears to be a single take. Wow.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saw this again. Coogler's version of continuing the Rocky saga did for me what JJ's version of continuing the Star Wars saga did for most of you guys. He just nailed the movie... in every way shape or form.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I have never seen a bad Rocky movie...each of them were exciting and touched on something important at the time.
I am looking forward to seeing Creed....will not see it at the theater however, as IMO a boxing movie does not need a 100 foot screen to get it all...but I will buy the dvd when it hits the shelves

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a bad Rocky movie.

Then you must not have seen Rocky 5. It was just an awful mess and an insult to the franchise. 28% on the Tomato Meter, and I think that's being kind....

;)

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get how anyone who liked the first three Rocky movies would not enjoy this one. It is very good. Stout, you will like this movie. I promise you will.