Copa America Centenario

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Bringing Morris in when he was an unknown guy at Stanford then keeping him at home when he's scoring goals at will in the MLS is a trademark Klinsmann move.

Yeah lol. Hopefully these crop of young guys step up and use their energy and pace to attack people. I don't really see that from the dempsey/wondo/jozy trio yet they seem to have a spot locked down. I just feel like it's time to turn the page in favor of youth. We will see what Dempsey still has to offer.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just not a wondo fan I'll admit I haven't seen much of him other than his poor touch against Belgium which is a bit unfair because he seems to score a lot of goals for SJ. He has more goals than Morris. The times I've seen wondo play on the NT he jozy and Dempsey don't seem to be as active when they are together. Dempsey seems to be the most willing to run but usually only when he smells an attack brewing. I want to see a guy with pace that runs hard. Morris does that and is why I'm excited to see him and wood play for the future. There's Zardes too. Interestingly they have pulisic listed at forward as well when he and Zardes play MF for their club teams?

To think if golden boy jozy were healthy(as if that's a question lol) someone else would have been left off. I'd like to think wondo but who knows

Pulisic plays forward for Borussia Dortmund.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm just not a wondo fan I'll admit I haven't seen much of him other than his poor touch against Belgium which is a bit unfair because he seems to score a lot of goals for SJ. He has more goals than Morris. The times I've seen wondo play on the NT he jozy and Dempsey don't seem to be as active when they are together. Dempsey seems to be the most willing to run but usually only when he smells an attack brewing. I want to see a guy with pace that runs hard. Morris does that and is why I'm excited to see him and wood play for the future. There's Zardes too. Interestingly they have pulisic listed at forward as well when he and Zardes play MF for their club teams?

To think if golden boy jozy were healthy(as if that's a question lol) someone else would have been left off. I'd like to think wondo but who knows

That's roughly akin to saying someone's the best hockey player in Ecuador, though.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
One more roster selection that has me scratching my head...Michael Orozco over both Omar Gonzalez and Michael Miazga.

I am hoping this team oozes chemistry because we are lacking in the talent area compared to a lot of nations in this tournament. They absolutely have to get 4 points from the Paraguay and Costa Rica matches to advance out of the group and they will have to score goals to do so.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
That's roughly akin to saying someone's the best hockey player in Ecuador, though.

so Jordan Morris is an up and coming Ecuadorean hockey player...haha I see what you mean though. I don't see the point of wasting a roster spot on a guy that probably has no future with the team(while Morris does). A guy that himself said he was surprised to make the team.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
One more roster selection that has me scratching my head...Michael Orozco over both Omar Gonzalez and Michael Miazga.

I am hoping this team oozes chemistry because we are lacking in the talent area compared to a lot of nations in this tournament. They absolutely have to get 4 points from the Paraguay and Costa Rica matches to advance out of the group and they will have to score goals to do so.

I too wonder that. It's like JK has a few guys that he's going to call up no matter what whether they deserve it or not. I don't know what his thinking is. That first half line up today did not surprise me I just hope that's not what he does vs Columbia. Notice how the game changed when he sat beckerman and jones. Then it got even better when he sat Zardes and Dempsey. We looked dangerous and somehow closed the possession gap to 50.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
so Jordan Morris is an up and coming Ecuadorean hockey player...haha I see what you mean though. I don't see the point of wasting a roster spot on a guy that probably has no future with the team(while Morris does). A guy that himself said he was surprised to make the team.

No, Wondo is lol I bolded the part where you said he was scoring lots of goals in the MLS, which isn't a big deal, in the grand scheme of things :)

Lorenzo

Reaction score
No, Wondo is lol I bolded the part where you said he was scoring lots of goals in the MLS, which isn't a big deal, in the grand scheme of things :)

Yeah I agree and I knew what you meant. Since Jordan is also scoring goals now in mls I said that. But I was joking because something tells me he might be moving up. If he stays in mls I think he would score more goals than wondo anyway.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
As the tournament gets closer I am getting pretty freaking excited for it. High quality play here in our country for the next month! Chances for fans to go see live matches all over. I am really looking forward to it even if I am not super optimistic about the USMNT right now.

Can't wait until next week when my nephew and I get to watch the US play Costa Rica.

Hopefully the tournament lives up to it's potential.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody have a way to watch the games online? I was considering trying Sling TV but if anyone has a different way, I'm all ears.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If you don't have a dish/cable subscription but can borrow a login, I think Univision and fox sports will stream it online. If you can't, there are a few options to watch on your browser. Probably can cast to a TV, but I've never tried it so can't speak for the quality. On my 27" monitor it looks great though. Bosscast usually has decent streams for all sports. Reddit r/soccerstreams has streams up for most games. If you check the match day reddit thread, there's usually streams linked. The stream quality I find from reddit, especially for big matches and/or tournaments like this one, are usually top quality.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Methodical in their long-ball stupidity because of gutless unwillingness to take on defenders. It is so easy to defend the USMNT in tournaments. Give the Americans a few pushes in the back, early on, and they will tuck their junk every time.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Methodical in their long-ball stupidity because of gutless unwillingness to take on defenders. It is so easy to defend the USMNT in tournaments. Give the Americans a few pushes in the back, early on, and they will tuck their junk every time.

Yep and they seem content to let Columbia have the ball. Need to get a lot of these guys off the pitch. Bradley has had some poor turnovers. Zardes losing the ball to easily.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Better play in the 81st min. A little too late. It would be nice to sub on Morris now for Dempsey or Zardes. For me Zardes is another guy that should not be in the lineup. He needs to be a sub.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Well disappointing loss. Especially when you give up a corner goal and come close to scoring on one. And that was supposed to be your advantage. I was hoping that penalty would galvanize the team at halftime but they spent the first 20 mins watching Columbia play and only hoping to connect a long ball...beyond disappointed with that sequence.

Could of been a draw with better luck but with luck being a point of emphasis it could of been 3-0 loss as well. Zardes had no impact on the game other than defending a few times...

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Nagbe and Pulisic begin to warm-up for substitution, and then the players on the pitch show some effort. That is a desire to win problem.

Cameron is a fine player but how many goals, directly due to him, do we have to see? Either he is the unluckiest player in the world, or simply losses focus in important moments.

Bradley showing the predictable movement backwards when pressured, gave the ball up that caused the penalty. Yedlin and Bedoya have a bad habit of turning their back when defending strikes. That rarely helps to protect yourself, and dramatic things can happen when you purposefully lose sight of the ball. Bad, weak, not smart habit that should have been broken as a teenager.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Nagbe and Pulisic begin to warm-up for substitution, and then the players on the pitch show some effort. That is a desire to win problem.

Cameron is a fine player but how many goals, directly due to him, do we have to see? Either he is the unluckiest player in the world, or simply losses focus in important moments.

Bradley showing the predictable movement backwards when pressured, gave the ball up that caused the penalty. Yedlin and Bedoya have a bad habit of turning their back when defending strikes. That rarely helps to protect yourself, and dramatic things can happen when you purposefully lose sight of the ball. Bad, weak, not smart habit that should have been broken as a teenager.
I agree good point about the play changing when the subs got up. I thought jones was better than Bradley. Cameron had a decent game but lost on the corner that's on him. Brooks maybe had his best game I've seen. And I appreciated his fire that he showed.

Would you consider sitting Bradley next game? It won't happen but worth a discussion.

Stout

Reaction score
I want to be really upset, but I find it hard to be. Yes, we had some of our same glaring problems, and yes, we lost 2-0 in the opening game. Still, we played well for stretches of the game, we had real scoring opportunities (seriously, how many good free kicks and corners did we earn?), and it's the #3 team in the world that we didn't have a prayer of beating. I'm not feeling all down in the dumps, not yet. A win and a draw, which is very achievable, will see us through.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I want to be really upset, but I find it hard to be. Yes, we had some of our same glaring problems, and yes, we lost 2-0 in the opening game. Still, we played well for stretches of the game, we had real scoring opportunities (seriously, how many good free kicks and corners did we earn?), and it's the #3 team in the world that we didn't have a prayer of beating. I'm not feeling all down in the dumps, not yet. A win and a draw, which is very achievable, will see us through.

I see that side. Just disappointed that a game that was there at least for a draw was lost on two poor defensive mistakes. One by Cameron the other poor turnover by Bradley/to Yedlin handball.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Brazil's keeper is lucky!!! Bad call but a howler of a goal.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
US back at it tomorrow night, they really need to come away from these next 2 with a minimum of 3 points and at least be even on goal differential.

So far Messi, Suarez and Rodriguez (will miss Colombia's next match) will all miss matches--that kind of sucks. Add Neymar as not being healthy enough to even be included on the Brazil roster that is a lot of star power not playing.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's unfortunate that all those stars are missing, but I won't be crying for Argentina tonight :)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
US back at it tomorrow night, they really need to come away from these next 2 with a minimum of 3 points and at least be even on goal differential.

So far Messi, Suarez and Rodriguez (will miss Colombia's next match) will all miss matches--that kind of sucks. Add Neymar as not being healthy enough to even be included on the Brazil roster that is a lot of star power not playing.

Barcelona pretty much made him choose either Copa or the Olympics. He chose the Olympics.