Copa America Centenario

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
What I enjoyed most about the final was Chile obviously had a plan. They were not going to pass the ball backwards just to keep possession and reward Argentina for pressuring them. Instead Chile attacked the aggressive defensive pressure with individual runs, or holding the ball forcing Argentina to foul. It did cause some heart stopping turnovers and didn't create many scoring changes, but it noticeably changed Argentina's plan and they stopped pressing as hard.

Chile also had a plan to foul, if necessary. They were going to fight for a victory and continued with the plan even when down to 10 men. It may not have been the prettiest game, but watching a well executed team effort was enjoyable.

cardfaninfl

Reaction score

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The pressure, the criticism. the failure, combined with recent comments concerning his frustration with Argentina's FA, makes me believe he is staying out unless there are massive changes.

I guess the AFA is a total mess and he voiced criticism towards them before this tournament. I think you're right about why he decided to quit, but I don't buy that he's done completely. Maybe he leaves for a bit, but I can't imagine he'd miss the WC in 2018.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I imagine Argentina will do whatever it takes to make sure Messi continues with the team.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I imagine Argentina will do whatever it takes to make sure Messi continues with the team.

They should, but he gets heavily criticized in Argentina for not winning. Pechofrio is what he's been called. I think Tata Martino is the coach because Messi likes him, so if it's a coaching change, I don't know who they turn to. The AFA is messed up and corrupt (what else is new with CONMEBOL FAs), so drastic changes would be needed if that's what would get him back. I still think he comes back in time for 2018.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
They should, but he gets heavily criticized in Argentina for not winning. Pechofrio is what he's been called. I think Tata Martino is the coach because Messi likes him, so if it's a coaching change, I don't know who they turn to. The AFA is messed up and corrupt (what else is new with CONMEBOL FAs), so drastic changes would be needed if that's what would get him back. I still think he comes back in time for 2018.
Yes, but they never had the threat of him leaving either. It's easy to criticize, but once he's gone, they will regret it. Messi may not have won much of significance for his country, but they would be A LOT worse without him.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yes, but they never had the threat of him leaving either. It's easy to criticize, but once he's gone, they will regret it. Messi may not have won much of significance for his country, but they would be A LOT worse without him.

I agree. Mascherano, Aguero, and a few others also quitting the national team. The FA has to drastically change if they want any of those players back anytime soon. Qualifiers pick back up in September.

cardfaninfl

Reaction score
http://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeik...pa-america-2016-smashes-records/#11d69f4b734b

Along with record setting attendance, the Copa America Centenario has delivered impressively high television ratings. In the United States alone, more than 100 million viewers have watched game on the Univision or Fox networks. Univision Deportes has reported record ratings, drawing a larger audience than during the group stage of the 2014 FIFA World Cup. Internationally, the tournament has been televised in more than 160 countries around the world, reaching more than a reported 1.5 billion households.

With only six months to organise and promote the tournament, CONMEBOL, CONCACAF and the LOC were still able to sell out stadium signage and other on-site advertising, as well as sign on 15 major corporate sponsors. Needless to say all of this has guaranteed the successful event will turn out an undisclosed profit.

Attendance with surprisingly expensive tickets, ad sales, corporate sponsors, TV rights, etc., should guarantee a major tournament being held in the US on a consistent basis. Combined with the worldwide excitement of a "minnow" (Iceland) advancing to the Quarter Finals of Euro 2016, should get CONMEBOL and CONCACAF to agree to hold an Americas version of the Euros. There is just too much money to not do it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson