Contagion

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Contagion

Release Date: September 9, 2011 (conventional theaters and IMAX)
Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
Director: Steven Soderbergh
Screenwriter: Scott Z. Burns
Genre: Thriller
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for disturbing content and some language)

Starring: Marion Cotillard, Matt Damon, Laurence Fishburne, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kate Winslet, Bryan Cranston, Sanaa Lathan, Jennifer Ehle

Plot Summary: An international traveler reaches into the snack bowl at an airport bar before passing her credit card to a waiter. A business meeting begins with a round of handshakes. A man coughs on a crowded bus...

One contact. One instant. And a lethal virus is transmitted.

When Beth Emhoff (Gwyneth Paltrow) returns to Minneapolis from business in Hong Kong, what she thought was jet lag takes a virulent turn. Two days later, she's dead in the ER and the doctors tell her shocked and grieving husband (Matt Damon) they have no idea why.

Soon, others exhibit the same mysterious symptoms: hacking coughs and fever, followed by seizure, brain hemorrhage...and ultimately, death. In Minneapolis, Chicago, London, Paris, Tokyo and Hong Kong, the numbers quickly multiply: one case becomes four, then sixteen, then hundreds, thousands, as the contagion sweeps across all borders, fueled by the countless human interactions that make up the course of an average day.

A global pandemic explodes.

At the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, researchers mobilize to break the code of a unique biological pathogen as it continues to mutate. Deputy Director Cheever (Laurence Fishburne) tries to allay the growing panic despite his own personal concerns, and must send a brave young doctor (Kate Winslet) into harm's way. At the same time, amid a rising tide of suspicion over a potential vaccine—and who gets it first—Dr. Leonora Orantes (Marion Cotillard) of the World Health Organization works through the network of connections that could lead back to the source of what they're dealing with.

As the death toll escalates and people struggle to protect themselves and their loved ones in a society breaking down, one activist blogger (Jude Law) claims the public isn't getting the truth about what's really going on, and sets off an epidemic of paranoia and fear as infectious as the virus itself.

You must be registered for see images attach

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one looking forward to this movie?

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely a re-tread concept, but I'm interested in the execution....

That's what everyone seems to be saying here but I just don't see it. What is so retread about this movie that isn't equally applicable to pretty much every movie that comes out?

Steve

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This would have been much better had they gone with the Robin Cook story of the same name. But cook doesn't like his books into movies so...

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
The cast and the execution could save it, we'll see.

The concept is tired like people said but it's still a great concept, they just keep doing it wrong most of the time.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The cast and the execution could save it, we'll see.

The concept is tired like people said but it's still a great concept, they just keep doing it wrong most of the time.

You mean like in Outbreak where it showed the virus only infecting the U.S.?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean like in Outbreak where it showed the virus only infecting the U.S.?

IIRC, the reason it only infected the US was quite plausible. The monkey held the original strain and it was not airborne. As it was a creature of the wild it's quite reasonable that it did not infect any human until it bit a handler (the Mcdreamy guy from Grey's Anatomy). It's not until it mutates that it gets out of control and it's in a small American town when that happens. It spreads so quickly that it was locked up into one small area before it had a chance to go national let alone international. Or did I miss something?

Steve

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked it. Thought it was well done. Movies like this scare the hell out of me. I'm not shaking anyones hand ever again.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I saw it tonight it was decent. Not just a retred. It was more about the effects of an outbreak on society than the outbreak itself.

How long it would take us to respond to an outbreak.
How both regular people, AND corporations would try to capitalize on it.
How the average citizen would react.
How the government would react.
How long it would take us to find a vaccine (if ever)
How social media could hurt or help.

I thought they did an ok job, the acting was terrific.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dcr & I watched it this weekend. Agree, the acting was fantastic. The story itself was sooooooooo looooooooooong. Neither of us really enjoyed it at all.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
dcr & I watched it this weekend. Agree, the acting was fantastic. The story itself was sooooooooo looooooooooong. Neither of us really enjoyed it at all.

I was home with the flu and decided (stupidly) to watch it on demand. Big mistake. Not for me so much, as I enjoyed it, but for my wife who probably felt like she was watching it in 3D.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was home with the flu and decided (stupidly) to watch it on demand. Big mistake. Not for me so much, as I enjoyed it, but for my wife who probably felt like she was watching it in 3D.

LOL.

Steve

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I liked this a lot. It got props for it's scientific accuracy. It didn't sacrifice accuracy for drama.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Agreed.... All that talent and no resolutions to many of the stories.

What happened to Coutillard when she ran through the airport?
What happened to Jude Law's character??
Did Morpheus go to jail?

WTH?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Total snooze fest! Fell asleep!

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I saw it tonight it was decent. Not just a retred. It was more about the effects of an outbreak on society than the outbreak itself.

How long it would take us to respond to an outbreak.
How both regular people, AND corporations would try to capitalize on it.
How the average citizen would react.
How the government would react.
How long it would take us to find a vaccine (if ever)
How social media could hurt or help.

I thought they did an ok job, the acting was terrific.

Agreed, terrific acting. The way it was presented made it seem like I was watching the story on the news, which made it seem more realistic.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought it was a solid film all the way around, though it did make me want to dip everything I own in lysol.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort